Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OS upgrades

On 04/06/2017 03:38 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

[snip]

Often if the power blinks around here the internet goes out. The cable
people always tell me it is a fuse somewhere down the line. They
sometimes send out an inside repair man, he checks it out and then has
to call the outside repair man to fix the fuse.
It takes out several houses, but for a long time seems that I was the
only one on it and that is why the inside man always came first.
They must have added a few others as the last two times the inside man
did not come but the automated response on the phone said it was a wide
area outage.

Here, cable does not go out on a power outage (unless the outage also
damaged a cable), but only if the outage is longer than about 4 yours
(when the node battery dies).

Several times, I've been using the internet when power goes out. My UPS
keeps the modem & router going for awhile, and I'm usually using a
laptop PC.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The universe may have a purpose, but nothing we know suggests that, if
so, this purpose has any similarity to ours." [Bertrand Russell]