Posted to alt.home.repair

Default cutting in reverse

On 23/05/2016 03:44, wrote:
On Sun, 22 May 2016 17:55:36 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Sunday, May 22, 2016 at 7:50:43 PM UTC-4, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Mon, 23 May 2016 00:22:33 +0100, wrote:

On Sun, 22 May 2016 16:14:15 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 5/22/2016 9:34 AM,
wrote:
On Sun, 22 May 2016 07:52:40 -0400, Stormin Mormon
You know, in all my fifty or so years, I can't
remember ever meeting (or first generation
reliable source hearing about) a child
injured by a lawn mower.
I have. My kid brother lost a finger. on a push mower.

Sorry to hear that. Do you encourage the
mandatory safeties on mowers? Do you ever
tell people how to bypass safeties?
I generally encourage the safeties be maintained. The blade brake on
current machines id a bit of a pain. Mine is old enough not to have
one.

I have dissabled the clutch switch on my truck - I want to be able to
run the truck off the road on the starter if necessary if the engine
fails - and if I loose the clutch I can start the truck in gear and
drive without the clutch to get me home.

I'm the only person who drives the truck (20 years old, 343,000km)

What on earth is a clutch switch? I've driven two cars with no clutch cable, you start it in 1st then change gear carefully.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Clutch+switch

The switch that makes sure you have your foot on the clutch before
the engine will crank

A clutch switch!? Sensible people start their cars in neutral.
Checking if a car is in neutral is the FIRST thing you should check
before attempting to start a car.

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/22/2016 05:52 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/21/2016 9:56 PM, Micky wrote:
On Sat, 21 May 2016 22:07:27 +0100, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

Do you not look back when you reverse your car? Do you not look back when you reverse your mower? Is your child too thick to get out of the way of a big noisy machine?

What a moron you are. Do you think they did this before plenty of
children had already been hurt?

You know, in all my fifty or so years, I can't
remember ever meeting (or first generation
reliable source hearing about) a child
injured by a lawn mower.

Yah, kids don't use lawnmowers they play video games. Sheeeesh!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 May 2016 10:16:15 +0100, IGotIt wrote:

On 05/22/2016 05:52 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/21/2016 9:56 PM, Micky wrote:
On Sat, 21 May 2016 22:07:27 +0100, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

Do you not look back when you reverse your car? Do you not look back when you reverse your mower? Is your child too thick to get out of the way of a big noisy machine?

What a moron you are. Do you think they did this before plenty of
children had already been hurt?

You know, in all my fifty or so years, I can't
remember ever meeting (or first generation
reliable source hearing about) a child
injured by a lawn mower.

Yah, kids don't use lawnmowers they play video games. Sheeeesh!

Do Americans still do those "chore" things? When I was a kid in the UK, I was always amazed that American kids had to do regular work around the house. If UK kids did anything like that, they were paid for it, or they refused to do it.

--
Doctor: "Ask the accident victim his name so we can notify his family."
Nurse: "I did! He said his family already knows his name."
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 5/22/2016 9:34 AM, wrote:
[...]

I thought only cars with auto gearboxes had clever stuff like that.

--
Women like silent men, they think they're listening.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sunday, May 22, 2016 at 7:50:43 PM UTC-4, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Mon, 23 May 2016 00:22:33 +0100, wrote:

On Sun, 22 May 2016 16:14:15 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 5/22/2016 9:34 AM,
wrote:
[...]

If the clutch is in, why should it be in neutral? If I'm parked with it in 1st, I simply push in the clutch, start it, then drive off in 1st. Why would I want to change to neutral then back to 1st?

--
It's called "Windows XP" because its full name, "The Repair Shop and Help-Desk Full Employment Act of 2006", won't fit on the box.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 May 2016 04:13:19 +0100, Ralph Mowery wrote:

In article ,
says...

wrote:

What on earth is a clutch switch? I've driven two cars with no clutch cable, you start it in 1st then change gear carefully.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Clutch+switch
The switch that makes sure you have your foot on the clutch before
the engine will crank

In 1972 I bought a Dodge with that switch. I had driven manual shift
cars over the years and had had that one for several days. I got some
gas and could not get it started. It was as if the battery was dead.
The service station man told me to push in the clutch. I did and it
started.

I had a habit of puting a 4 speed in neutral and starting the car. I
must have been doing that and pushing in the clutch for the 2 or 3 days
I had had that car. That was the first manual car I had been in that
has that clutch switch.

Didn't think of that, that's a very good reason for not having such a switch. You may well want to start it in neutral with the clutch out.

Presumably easy enough to disconnect.

--
Man: "Do you wash your clothes in Windex?"
Woman: "Why do you ask?"
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - car safety switches

On 5/22/2016 11:13 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
The switch that makes sure you have your foot on the clutch before
the engine will crank

In 1972 I bought a Dodge with that switch. I had driven manual shift
cars over the years and had had that one for several days. I got some
gas and could not get it started. It was as if the battery was dead.
The service station man told me to push in the clutch. I did and it
started.

I had a habit of puting a 4 speed in neutral and starting the car. I
must have been doing that and pushing in the clutch for the 2 or 3 days
I had had that car. That was the first manual car I had been in that
has that clutch switch.

Can't remember how long ago. I stopped for gasoline,
and met a very nice man who spoke some language other
than American. I'd guess Dutch, but not sure. He
summoned me, as he could not get his car out of Park.
I noticed it was a Ford. Did my best by gestures to
suggest he push the brake, which did the job. Now he's
able to shift into drive, and go about his travel.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 5/22/2016 9:34 AM, wrote:
[...]

I wasn't the one that asked. Mr. Birdbrain was.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/23/2016 6:54 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I wasn't the one that asked. Mr. Birdbrain was.

Stop the presses! A Usenet poster replied one
line away from the intended quote. Call the
question, have the misguided poster issue a
retraction. Have Google Groups delete the thread.
Start over. Defamation law suit. This is seriously
......oh, nevermind, it doesn't matter.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

I bypassed the two handed switch system on my hedge trimmer. Now I can reach at arm's length to cut further.

you known as fred j mc call on the space boards? freds style is like yours.........
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 May 2016 14:19:33 +0100, bob haller wrote:

I bypassed the two handed switch system on my hedge trimmer. Now I can reach at arm's length to cut further.

you known as fred j mc call on the space boards? freds style is like yours.........

Nope.

--
Do you know how to get an 88 year old woman to say "BITCH!"?
You get a 72 year old woman to yell "BINGO!"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 May 2016 13:06:02 +0100, Stormin Mormon wrote:

On 5/23/2016 6:54 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I wasn't the one that asked. Mr. Birdbrain was.

Stop the presses! A Usenet poster replied one
line away from the intended quote. Call the
question, have the misguided poster issue a
retraction. Have Google Groups delete the thread.
Start over. Defamation law suit. This is seriously
.....oh, nevermind, it doesn't matter.

You're the one that gets upset when we don't snip quite enough for your liking. So PKB!

--
A daughter asked her mother how to spell penis, her mum said you should have asked me last night it was on the tip of my tongue.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 May 2016 11:51:07 +0100, Stormin Mormon wrote:

[...]

My VW Golf did that. My neighbour's Vauxhall didn't, and it once vibrated itself from park to reverse, and mowed down her gates while she wasn't in the car.

--
US PGA Commentator - "One of the reasons Arnie is playing so well is that, before each tee shot, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 May 2016 16:19:51 +0100, TimR wrote:

On Sunday, May 22, 2016 at 7:52:36 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

You know, in all my fifty or so years, I can't
remember ever meeting (or first generation
reliable source hearing about) a child
injured by a lawn mower.

.

I know of two.

When I was very small, the neighbor's kid was hit by a thrown stone and killed.

So that's one.

Which wouldn't have been helped by any kind of cutout switch.

A push mower can throw a stone just as easily. Neither of them would usually kill anyone. Probably just as likely to be killed by a fly entering your eye while cycling, causing you to be temporarily blinded and crash headlong into a tree.

Because of that, my Dad refused to ever have a power mower, so I mowed the lawn with a manual push mower until I left the house.

that's two.

How is it two? You weren't injured.

--
What comes after 69?
Mouthwash.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 23, 2016 at 10:19:57 AM UTC-5, TimR wrote:
On Sunday, May 22, 2016 at 7:52:36 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

You know, in all my fifty or so years, I can't
remember ever meeting (or first generation
reliable source hearing about) a child
injured by a lawn mower.

.
I know of two.

When I was very small, the neighbor's kid was hit by a thrown stone and killed.

So that's one.

Because of that, my Dad refused to ever have a power mower, so I mowed the lawn with a manual push mower until I left the house.

that's two.

When I was in junior high school back in the last century, a county maintenance worker was cutting the grass outside one of the classrooms when he hit a rock and the rock shot through a classroom window striking a teenage girl in the head. Of course there was a lot of blood because head wounds bleed A LOT. The poor guy felt so bad that he'd hurt the girl that he almost quit his job. There was a policy change after the accident ordering that maintenance workers or football players walk the grassy areas picking up debris before a mower could be run through the grass. I didn't think lawn mowing should have been going on when there were kids there during the school day. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Grassy Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 May 2016 09:01:25 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

[...]

I run my mower discharging AWAY from cars, windows, and sidewalks
where pwdestrians may be walking as a matter of courtesy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 May 2016 09:18:33 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

A "push mower" is not a "power mower"
It works on muscle power.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Clare, just curious...

This is the second time today that you have responded to *my* response
to Mr. Birdbrain with a comment that seems to be directed at him.

I don't mind hearing from you, but I'm wondering why you aren't responding
directly to his (ridiculous) posts instead of mine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

And he said he used it, not inured himself with it.

--
A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death -- Albert Einstein
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You're smarter than the average landscaper. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Lawn Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That's because you totally missed the joke.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I also point the leaf blower away (or up) when cars or people go by.

I was driving towards a guy who was using a blower this morning, wondering
if he would stop as I approached. He did...I waved a "Thank you".

Some people are courteous by nature, others...not so much.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/23/2016 11:19 AM, TimR wrote:
On Sunday, May 22, 2016 at 7:52:36 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

You know, in all my fifty or so years, I can't
remember ever meeting (or first generation
reliable source hearing about) a child
injured by a lawn mower.

.

I know of two.

When I was very small, the neighbor's kid was hit by a thrown stone and killed.

So that's one.

Because of that, my Dad refused to ever have a power mower, so I mowed the lawn with a manual push mower until I left the house.

that's two.

Sorry to hear that.

On some further thought, I know an adult who lost
part of a couple toes as a teen ager, mowing on a
hill.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 23/05/2016 18:38, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/23/2016 11:19 AM, TimR wrote:
On Sunday, May 22, 2016 at 7:52:36 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

You know, in all my fifty or so years, I can't
remember ever meeting (or first generation
reliable source hearing about) a child
injured by a lawn mower.

.

I know of two.

When I was very small, the neighbor's kid was hit by a thrown stone
and killed.

So that's one.

Because of that, my Dad refused to ever have a power mower, so I mowed
the lawn with a manual push mower until I left the house.

that's two.

Sorry to hear that.

On some further thought, I know an adult who lost
part of a couple toes as a teen ager, mowing on a
hill.

I forget where I read the story, but it said that a bloke was using a
Strimmer and a stone took off his toe and the toe then flew upwards and
took an eye out.
Now *that's* unusually bad luck and must be a first Shirley?

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair

The simple answer to all of this is "**** happens". Stop worrying about what might happen and get on with life.

--
It turns out a Chinese food deliveryman who was thought to be missing, was actually stuck in a Manhattan apartment building elevator for 4 days.
The man is ok, but the building's owner is charging him $1,500 rent.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-05-23 2:06 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
[...]

While true, if you do it to yourself, that is one thing, if you injure a
neighbour or stranger because of a careless action, it can get
expensive. It is better just to do it safely, in the first place.

--
Froz....

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 May 2016 19:14:31 +0100, FrozenNorth wrote:

On 2016-05-23 2:06 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
[...]

Why do people always come up with that nonsense? Almost every single person on the planet will put themselves before someone else. So why on earth would you say it's ok to endanger yourself and not others?

--
Reason to smile: Every 7 minutes of every day, someone in an aerobics class pulls a hamstring.
Posted to alt.home.repair

This is the typical ****e that happens. A one in a million accident that will never occur again happens, and legislation is brought in to stop it, even though it never would have happened again. Then something completely different happens, and so it goes on. Then you end up with so much ****ing legislation everything takes 5 times longer to do at 5 times the cost. So actually, since everyone is now 5 times worse off, you could say that the legislation is causing people to starve to death.

--
Windows 95: n. 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that can't stand 1 bit of competition.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, May 22, 2016 at 10:10:48 AM UTC-4, Mr Macaw wrote:

Put your best 0.3 of a meter forward.

Did the U.K. rename the body's pedal appendage when they switched
to SI? It's still "put your best foot forward".

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 May 2016 20:22:57 +0100, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

On Sunday, May 22, 2016 at 10:10:48 AM UTC-4, Mr Macaw wrote:

Put your best 0.3 of a meter forward.

Did the U.K. rename the body's pedal appendage when they switched
to SI? It's still "put your best foot forward".

It was a joke.

Anyway, we haven't change to SI. We still use both F and C for temperatures, although younger folk seem to prefer C. All our road signs are in miles and miles per hour. We measure a car's petrol consumption in miles per gallon, yet it's dispensed at the pump in litres!

--
Capitalism: Man exploiting man.
Socialism: The reverse.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 May 2016 19:41:26 +0100
"Mr Macaw" wrote:

Almost every single person on the planet will put themselves before
someone else.

Not even remotely true.
Travel to the London Ghettos or Manchester.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 5/22/2016 9:34 AM, wrote:
[...]

I've done that twice in the distant past when the clutch cables broke
and I managed to get the cars home safely from several miles away.

On one occasion I was going along the Kingsway (dual carriageway) in Dundee, which has many roundabouts. I had to stop at each one due to it being rush hour, and some drivers got rather annoyed at me starting it in 1st and jumping round the roundabout. The starter in that car seemed unnecessarily powerful for the size of engine and it took off rather quickly and unevenly.

--
For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 May 2016 09:21:21 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 22/05/2016 21:44, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 05/21/2016 08:56 PM, Micky wrote:

[snip]

You may not be old enough** to remember that that was a compromise.
One side wanted to ban cigarettes completely. Would that have been
better? Don't you think a stupid 12 or 15-year old should be told
smoking is bad for him by someone other than his parents, if they did?
(FWIW, it's those who are "conservative" now who brought about the ban
on alcohol, which didn't work well.)

I'd rather have cigarettes than alcohol banned. Both can harm the user,
but cigarettes directly harm other people (they stink too).

[snip]

On the other hand it's alcohol that causes the vast majority of fights
and fill up the A&E depts every friday and saturday nights plus drink
drivers kill and mame many people every day.

Indeed - smoking just calms you down (especially if you use the correct substance in the cigarette).

--
Why do blacks have white hands and feet?
They were on all fours when god spray painted them!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-05-22 5:52 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/21/2016 9:56 PM, Micky wrote:
On Sat, 21 May 2016 22:07:27 +0100, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

Do you not look back when you reverse your car? Do you not look back
when you reverse your mower? Is your child too thick to get out of
the way of a big noisy machine?

What a moron you are. Do you think they did this before plenty of
children had already been hurt?

You know, in all my fifty or so years, I can't
remember ever meeting (or first generation
reliable source hearing about) a child
injured by a lawn mower.

Your display of personal ignorance does not mean it doesn't happen.

http://www.amputee-coalition.org/law...s-amputations/

https://www.verywell.com/lawn-mower-accidents-2633674

http://www.adph.org/injuryprevention/index.asp?id=4469

http://fox4kc.com/2015/06/02/more-ch...-than-in-past/

https://canadasafetycouncil.org/camp...mower-injuries

So just because your head is stuck in the sand does not mean it doesn't
happen.

Find out how many times someone has cut a lawn without accidents, and express the above as a percentage. Then get back to us and have a reasoned discussion.

--
Mary had a little lamb
And nothing much besides.

For Mary was a clever girl
Both in and out of bed,
And the guys who didn't sample her
Took on the sheep instead.

Cutting in reverse Herb Eneva Home Repair 4 May 12th 13 06:58 PM
Reverse Air con [email protected][_2_] UK diy 28 October 21st 11 06:09 PM
Looking for a Reverse Mortgage in N.CA A VFW Home Ownership 0 August 15th 08 02:18 PM
Reverse tap? goodolpete UK diy 11 July 24th 08 12:46 PM
reverse gloat Grant Erwin Metalworking 2 September 14th 05 05:16 PM