Posted to alt.home.repair

Default cutting in reverse

When I`m using the riding mower and put it in reverse with the blades engaged the engine stop. It`s a real pain to disengage the blades and then back up. There are not any kids or pets in the area so everything is clear. How can I correct this problem? Thanks for any advice Herb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 May 2016 09:58:23 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

It`s a real pain to disengage the blades

Do you need to stop the engine, or just stop forward motion?

--
http://mduffy.x10host.com/index.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 21, 2016 at 12:58:28 PM UTC-4, wrote:
When I`m using the riding mower and put it in reverse with the blades engaged the engine stop. It`s a real pain to disengage the blades and then back up. There are not any kids or pets in the area so everything is clear. How can I correct this problem? Thanks for any advice Herb

Find a schematic and see how it's wired up? Find the switch that
detects gear position and bypass it? Or course they apparently put
that there for some additional protection, how important that is to
you, is up to you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 21, 2016 at 1:16:01 PM UTC-4, Mike Duffy wrote:
On Sat, 21 May 2016 09:58:23 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

It`s a real pain to disengage the blades

Do you need to stop the engine, or just stop forward motion?

--
http://mduffy.x10host.com/index.htm

Sounds to me like he doesn't want to stop anything. His annoyance is
the opposite, if he doesn't disengage the blades, when he tries to
back up, the engine shuts off.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 05/21/2016 12:21 PM, trader_4 wrote:

... Or course they apparently put
that there for some additional protection, ...

Yeah, but that one makes mowing in any restricted place a _real_ pita.
That'd be a non-starter for a purchase in my book and definitely a
retrofit...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/21/2016 1:20 PM, Frank wrote:

Government mandated rules are to protect the dumbest among us.

I remember my old neighbor, Tony, trying to clear under his mower while
it was running. He got cut pretty badly.

Anecdotal story of a couple fellows, had a bit
too much beer. One noticed the hedge needed to
be trimmed down. But, no hedge trimmers to be
found. Someone suggested just have four guys
pick up the walk behind mower. Carry it along
over the hedge, to trim the hedge down.

Please do not try this under any circumstances.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 May 2016 10:22:50 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

Sounds to me like he doesn't want to stop anything. His annoyance is
the opposite, if he doesn't disengage the blades, when he tries to
back up, the engine shuts off.

Then don't back up. My take is the OP is annoyed by having to do so.

The things we suffer through life. Most lawn cutting tools I know of
work in both directions.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Sounds to me like he doesn't want to stop anything. His annoyance is
the opposite, if he doesn't disengage the blades, when he tries to
back up, the engine shuts off.

Then don't back up. My take is the OP is annoyed by having to do so.

The things we suffer through life. Most lawn cutting tools I know of
work in both directions.

Not any more. All new ones shut off blades going into reverse.
Some make it very hard to bypass this.
Not the fault of the mower maker but some fat ass
government employee with illegals cutting his grass.

For even more of this kind of rules and regulations
vote for pantsuit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 May 2016 09:58:23 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

When I`m using the riding mower and put it in reverse with the blades engaged the engine stop. It`s a real pain to disengage the blades and then back up. There are not any kids or pets in the area so everything is clear. How can I correct this problem? Thanks for any advice Herb

I don't have a riding mower, but I'm sure they do that electrically,
with a switch that either closes or opens when you put it in reverse.

1) Check out the gear shift lever and the transmission until you find
the switch. Any electric wire around them is probably there for this
purpose. The way push mower engines were stopped in the ones I've
seen is to short the primary or secondary of the magneto, so I'd guess
that the switch closes in order to stop the engine, so just pull one
of the wires off the switch, and that won't happen anymore.

If after you do that, the engine won't start at all, that implies that
the switch opens to stop the engine, so if so, bypass the switch**.
Cut a short piece of stranded wire or thin solid wire, strip each end,
and you should be able to pull off each wire on the switch and then
push it back on with some of that short wire stuck between the two
parts of the connector. It only takes a couple strands.

**But the better way, once you find the switch, if paragraph 1 doesn't
work, esp. if the engine won't start at all, is to use an ohmmeter (or
I suppose a testlight if it's one with a battery inside that lights
when its two leads are touched to each other) to see whether the
switch really opens or closes when you're in reverse. A big
opportunity to get mixed up, so maybe take notes.

On my push mower there was a switch that stopped the engine if I let
go of the handlebar, so I wrapped a wire-tie around the handlebar and
the bail, the lever that had to be closed. And on the convertible
there was a more complicated circuit to keep me from raising or
lowering the top when the car was going more than 3mph. That used a
relay that was hidden behind a cover in the far corner of the trunk,
but I cut the wire and now it works fine.

Just don't forget about this when your friend brings his grandchild
over.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote: "Anecdotal story of a couple fellows, had a bit
too much beer. One noticed the hedge needed to
be trimmed down. But, no hedge trimmers to be
found. Someone suggested just have four guys
pick up the walk behind mower. Carry it along
over the hedge, to trim the hedge down.

Please do not try this under any circumstances. "

^^This^^ ! I laughed so hard visualizing
this I choked on my own saliva and nearly
dropped my tablet on the floor!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon:

From UK - Be careful, Onslow!!
lmao!

http://i2.mirror.co.uk/incoming/arti...-427505709.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 May 2016 22:03:11 +0100, Ralph Mowery wrote:

In article , says...

On Sat, 21 May 2016 18:20:14 +0100, Frank "frank wrote:

On 5/21/2016 12:58 PM,
wrote:
When I`m using the riding mower and put it in reverse with the blades engaged the engine stop. It`s a real pain to disengage the blades and then back up. There are not any kids or pets in the area so everything is clear. How can I correct this problem? Thanks for any advice Herb

Government mandated rules are to protect the dumbest among us.

Er..... how is cutting in reverse more dangerous than cutting going forwards?

We have people in government that have to come up with things to keep
their jobs. Just as the warning on the cigarett packages about being
bad for your health.

What I really hate is the 'new' gas can regulations. I have a one
gallon can that I bought for the weed eater mixed fuel. I have spilt
more out of that can each time I use it than I do out of my 5 gallon
cans of the old type all year.

Another is that the government has the home owner mower blades going so
slow I can not get a good cut of the grass with the mower going very
fast.

YOu may back over something with the blades going. Mainly a child that
comes behind you and you do not look back.

Do you not look back when you reverse your car? Do you not look back when you reverse your mower? Is your child too thick to get out of the way of a big noisy machine? The more safety rules we have, the more stupid people will survive. The next generation will be dumb as ****.

--
In 1999 the creators of KY Jelly created a new product. It was called "Y2K Jelly." It allowed you to get four digits in your date instead of two.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 May 2016 13:39:56 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Stormin Mormon:

From UK - Be careful, Onslow!!
lmao!

New Zealand, actually.
http://i2.mirror.co.uk/incoming/arti...-427505709.jpg

A bit better, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbK9eybE35E
or the same redneck https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwTzBVhlurE
A guy (Joe Taylor) in Philomath, Ore trims his hedge with a 24"
rotary mower strapped to the bucket of his Kuboto loader tractor -up
to 12 feet in height.(it was in Farm Show magazine this month)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mr Macaw wrote: "- show quoted text -

"In 1999 the creators of KY Jelly created a new product. It was called "Y2K Jelly." It allowed you to get four digits in
your date instead of two. "

GROAAAAN!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/21/2016 4:39 PM, wrote:
Stormin Mormon:

From UK - Be careful, Onslow!!
lmao!

http://i2.mirror.co.uk/incoming/arti...-427505709.jpg

Looks safer than a yard full of drunks with a
walk behind mower.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 May 2016 17:13:36 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 21 May 2016 13:39:56 -0700 (PDT),

wrote:

Stormin Mormon:

From UK - Be careful, Onslow!!
lmao!

New Zealand, actually.
http://i2.mirror.co.uk/incoming/arti...-427505709.jpg

LOL. It seems to work. When my bushes got higher than my head,
trimming them was much harder. I should try this.

A guy (Joe Taylor) in Philomath, Ore trims his hedge with a 24"
rotary mower strapped to the bucket of his Kuboto loader tractor -up
to 12 feet in height.(it was in Farm Show magazine this month)

Reordered:
A bit better, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbK9eybE35E
or the same redneck https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwTzBVhlurE

Wow. His mower didn't break as easily as he thought it would. 3
tries (or more?)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/21/2016 5:13 PM, wrote:

A bit better,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbK9eybE35E
or the same redneck https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwTzBVhlurE
A guy (Joe Taylor) in Philomath, Ore trims his hedge with a 24"
rotary mower strapped to the bucket of his Kuboto loader tractor -up
to 12 feet in height.(it was in Farm Show magazine this month)

The first one is interesting. I notice he's
standing right in front of the discharge
opening.

The second one shows good upper body strength.
He's got to be a hoot at bar fights, throwing
the bouncer out the front window.

When there's a redneck, there's a way.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/21/2016 6:43 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/21/2016 5:13 PM, wrote:

A bit better,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbK9eybE35E
or the same redneck https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwTzBVhlurE
A guy (Joe Taylor) in Philomath, Ore trims his hedge with a 24"
rotary mower strapped to the bucket of his Kuboto loader tractor -up
to 12 feet in height.(it was in Farm Show magazine this month)

The first one is interesting. I notice he's
standing right in front of the discharge
opening.

The second one shows good upper body strength.
He's got to be a hoot at bar fights, throwing
the bouncer out the front window.

When there's a redneck, there's a way.

OK. That's just stupid. Some rednecks give rednecks a bad name!

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 21, 2016 at 1:53:30 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/21/2016 1:20 PM, Frank wrote:

Government mandated rules are to protect the dumbest among us.

I remember my old neighbor, Tony, trying to clear under his mower while
it was running. He got cut pretty badly.

Anecdotal story of a couple fellows, had a bit
too much beer. One noticed the hedge needed to
be trimmed down. But, no hedge trimmers to be
found. Someone suggested just have four guys
pick up the walk behind mower. Carry it along
over the hedge, to trim the hedge down.

Please do not try this under any circumstances.

--
.
Christopher A. Young

That's just stupid.

Besides you gotta give 4 guys beer.

I welded handles onto the deck of mine. Works fine with a little care.

We did have an employee we caught starting the mower by pulling on the blades. He'd broken the pull cord and was scared he'd get fired if anybody knew. It didn't occur to him he'd be more likely to get fired for the safety violation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 21, 2016 at 12:58:28 PM UTC-4, wrote:
When I`m using the riding mower and put it in reverse with the blades engaged the engine stop. It`s a real pain to disengage the blades and then back up. There are not any kids or pets in the area so everything is clear. How can I correct this problem? Thanks for any advice Herb

It might help if you told us what model, but here are three ways to do it
on Craftsman mowers:

This guy does it just by unplugging one connector:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQkILPSLwCE

This guy says you can just bend the lever that shuts down the engine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vtakR_Dp-I

This is how it's done on a zero turn Craftsman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93swGLM0IGY

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
When I`m using the riding mower and put it in reverse with the blades engaged the engine stop. It`s a real pain to disengage the blades and then back up. There are not any kids or pets in the area so everything is clear. How can I correct this problem? Thanks for any advice Herb

Government mandated rules are to protect the dumbest among us.

Er..... how is cutting in reverse more dangerous than cutting going forwards?

We have people in government that have to come up with things to keep
their jobs. Just as the warning on the cigarett packages about being
bad for your health.

You may not be old enough** to remember that that was a compromise.
One side wanted to ban cigarettes completely. Would that have been
better? Don't you think a stupid 12 or 15-year old should be told
smoking is bad for him by someone other than his parents, if they did?
(FWIW, it's those who are "conservative" now who brought about the ban
on alcohol, which didn't work well.)

**You probably are. Everyone on usenet seems to be an old codger,
even though it's a far better format than webforum.s

What I really hate is the 'new' gas can regulations. I have a one
gallon can that I bought for the weed eater mixed fuel. I have spilt
more out of that can each time I use it than I do out of my 5 gallon
cans of the old type all year.

Another is that the government has the home owner mower blades going so
slow I can not get a good cut of the grass with the mower going very
fast.

YOu may back over something with the blades going. Mainly a child that
comes behind you and you do not look back.

Do you not look back when you reverse your car? Do you not look back when you reverse your mower? Is your child too thick to get out of the way of a big noisy machine?

What a moron you are. Do you think they did this before plenty of
children had already been hurt?

The more safety rules we have, the more stupid people will survive. The next generation will be dumb as ****.

I'm surpised you made it past infancy yourself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 May 2016 19:37:33 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 5/21/2016 4:39 PM, wrote:
Stormin Mormon:

From UK - Be careful, Onslow!!
lmao!

http://i2.mirror.co.uk/incoming/arti...-427505709.jpg

I wish I had a crane.

Looks safer than a yard full of drunks with a
walk behind mower.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 May 2016 00:31:16 +0100, wrote:

Mr Macaw wrote: "- show quoted text -

"In 1999 the creators of KY Jelly created a new product. It was called "Y2K Jelly." It allowed you to get four digits in
your date instead of two. "

GROAAAAN!

Yes, she'll do that.

--
Women are like a pack of cards... you need a heart to love them, diamonds to marry them, a club to kill them and a spade to bury them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Stupid 12-15 year olds should do what they want. And they're even less likely to read warning labels than listen to their parents anyway.

[...]

They'll have done some ****ed up survey, just like they seem to think speeding is dangerous , when it actually only causes 4% of accidents.

Anyway, the only person who should be avoiding killing their own kids is the parent, not the government.

The more safety rules we have, the more stupid people will survive. The next generation will be dumb as ****.

I'm surpised you made it past infancy yourself.

You're surpised?

--
The Artist Formerly Known As Prince has a new album out.
It's called "The Songs Formerly Known As Hits."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/21/2016 8:05 PM, TimR wrote:
We did have an employee we caught starting
the mower by pulling on the blades. He'd broken
the pull cord and was scared he'd get fired if
anybody knew. It didn't occur to him he'd be
more likely to get fired for the safety violation.

Did he at least yell "Clear prop!" before hand
propping the mower?

In my life, mower pull cords are a disposable
item like gasoline and spark plugs.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/21/2016 9:56 PM, Micky wrote:
On Sat, 21 May 2016 22:07:27 +0100, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

Do you not look back when you reverse your car? Do you not look back when you reverse your mower? Is your child too thick to get out of the way of a big noisy machine?

What a moron you are. Do you think they did this before plenty of
children had already been hurt?

You know, in all my fifty or so years, I can't
remember ever meeting (or first generation
reliable source hearing about) a child
injured by a lawn mower.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/21/2016 10:02 PM, Micky wrote:

From UK - Be careful, Onslow!!
lmao!

http://i2.mirror.co.uk/incoming/arti...-427505709.jpg

I wish I h[Glad I don't have a yard full of drunks.]ad a crane.

Looks safer than a yard full of drunks with a
walk behind mower.

Center posted, as yours was.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote: "You know, in all my fifty or so years, I can't
remember ever meeting (or first generation
reliable source hearing about) a child
injured by a lawn mower. "

A neighbor's kid once ran into a dark garage
to retrieve an itinerant ball - tripped over
the corner of a walk-behind and bruised
their forehead on the concrete deck...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 May 2016 07:46:51 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 5/21/2016 8:05 PM, TimR wrote:
We did have an employee we caught starting
the mower by pulling on the blades. He'd broken
the pull cord and was scared he'd get fired if
anybody knew. It didn't occur to him he'd be
more likely to get fired for the safety violation.

Did he at least yell "Clear prop!" before hand
propping the mower?

In my life, mower pull cords are a disposable
item like gasoline and spark plugs.

Usually get 10 years on a cord - 5 or more on a plug

Cutting in reverse Herb Eneva Home Repair 4 May 12th 13 06:58 PM
Reverse Air con [email protected][_2_] UK diy 28 October 21st 11 06:09 PM
Looking for a Reverse Mortgage in N.CA A VFW Home Ownership 0 August 15th 08 02:18 PM
Reverse tap? goodolpete UK diy 11 July 24th 08 12:46 PM
reverse gloat Grant Erwin Metalworking 2 September 14th 05 05:16 PM