Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Reverse tap?

On my trailer I've got bolts holding the T+GV wood sides to the frame.
The bolts have shallow slots in the domed head. I can't get enough
purchase on some of them to get them out. I'm sure I remember
something called a reverse tap from when I worked in a tool shop
40 years ago. You drill a pilot hole and you screw this tap in anti-
clockwise, so when it stops drilling into the bolt, it starts
unscrewing
the bolt. Can anyone confirm or give me the correct name for it?
Thanks,
Pete

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 Jul, 06:35, goodolpete wrote:
On my trailer I've got bolts holding the T+GV wood sides to the frame.
The bolts have shallow slots in the domed head. I can't get enough
purchase on some of them to get them out. I'm sure I remember
something called a reverse tap from when I worked in a tool shop
40 years ago. You drill a pilot hole and you screw this tap in anti-
clockwise, so when it stops drilling into the bolt, it starts
unscrewing
the bolt. Can anyone confirm or give me the correct name for it?
Thanks,
Pete

A screw extactor is what you need, available he

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/18643/...-Extractor-Set

or at any good hardware store/tool shop

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Appelation Controlee" wrote in message
On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 22:35:42 -0700 (PDT), goodolpete wrote:

On my trailer I've got bolts holding the T+GV wood sides to the frame.
The bolts have shallow slots in the domed head. I can't get enough
purchase on some of them to get them out. I'm sure I remember
something called a reverse tap from when I worked in a tool shop
40 years ago. You drill a pilot hole and you screw this tap in anti-
clockwise, so when it stops drilling into the bolt, it starts
unscrewing
the bolt. Can anyone confirm or give me the correct name for it?

Screw extractor?

£2.49 a set from Screwfix.

Be afraid, be very afraid... no, not quite that bad, but extreme care is
needed when removing not to put any sideways force on the extractor. They
are harder than drill bits so (a) prone to snap and (b) can't be drilled out
themselves - slow and careful!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
goodolpete wrote:
On my trailer I've got bolts holding the T+GV wood sides to the frame.
The bolts have shallow slots in the domed head. I can't get enough
purchase on some of them to get them out. I'm sure I remember
something called a reverse tap from when I worked in a tool shop
40 years ago. You drill a pilot hole and you screw this tap in anti-
clockwise, so when it stops drilling into the bolt, it starts
unscrewing
the bolt. Can anyone confirm or give me the correct name for it?

Commonly known as 'Easyout'.

--
*Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 24, 8:50*am, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article
,
* *goodolpete wrote:

SNIP
Commonly known as 'Easyout'.

--
*Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial

* * Dave Plowman * * * * * * * * London SW
* * * * * * * * * To e-mail, change noise into sound.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR REPLIES, GUYS!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

On 2008-07-24, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
goodolpete wrote:
On my trailer I've got bolts holding the T+GV wood sides to the frame.
The bolts have shallow slots in the domed head. I can't get enough
purchase on some of them to get them out. I'm sure I remember
something called a reverse tap from when I worked in a tool shop
40 years ago. You drill a pilot hole and you screw this tap in anti-
clockwise, so when it stops drilling into the bolt, it starts
unscrewing
the bolt. Can anyone confirm or give me the correct name for it?

Commonly known as 'Easyout'.

Does Stelios know?

It would be quite pleasing to see/hear of Messrs. Peter Fonda, Dennis
Hopper and Terry Southern consulting Messrs. Sue, Grabbit & Run about
Stelios and the prior use of and ownership of 'similar' names.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember goodolpete
saying something like:

You drill a pilot hole and you screw this tap in anti-
clockwise, so when it stops drilling into the bolt, it starts
unscrewing
the bolt. Can anyone confirm or give me the correct name for it?

Commonly known as a "****ing Useless Piece Of ****e!", when it breaks in
the hole, and even the best ones do, no matter how careful you are; or
Stud Extracter, to give it its proper title.

--
Dave
GS850x2 XS650 SE6a

"It's a moron working with power tools.
How much more suspenseful can you get?"
- House

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-07-24, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
* *goodolpete wrote:
On my trailer I've got bolts holding the T+GV wood sides to the frame..
The bolts have shallow slots in the domed head. I can't get enough
purchase on some of them to get them out. I'm sure I remember
something called a reverse tap from when I worked in a tool shop
40 years ago. You drill a pilot hole and you screw this tap in anti-
clockwise, so when it stops drilling into the bolt, it starts
unscrewing
the bolt. Can anyone confirm or give me the correct name for it?
Commonly known as 'Easyout'.

Does Stelios know?

It would be quite pleasing to see/hear of Messrs. Peter Fonda, Dennis
Hopper and Terry Southern consulting Messrs. Sue, Grabbit & Run about
Stelios and the prior use of and ownership of 'similar' names.

Heard on R4 the other day, some curry house owner has given in after
being challenged over "Easycurry". He did comppound it IMHO by using
black, white and orange as the colour scheme, claiming that Chicken
Tikka Masala is orange.