Posted to alt.home.repair
Mr Macaw Mr Macaw is offline

Default OT - car safety switches

On Mon, 23 May 2016 11:51:07 +0100, Stormin Mormon wrote:

On 5/22/2016 11:13 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
The switch that makes sure you have your foot on the clutch before
the engine will crank

In 1972 I bought a Dodge with that switch. I had driven manual shift
cars over the years and had had that one for several days. I got some
gas and could not get it started. It was as if the battery was dead.
The service station man told me to push in the clutch. I did and it
started.

I had a habit of puting a 4 speed in neutral and starting the car. I
must have been doing that and pushing in the clutch for the 2 or 3 days
I had had that car. That was the first manual car I had been in that
has that clutch switch.

Can't remember how long ago. I stopped for gasoline,
and met a very nice man who spoke some language other
than American. I'd guess Dutch, but not sure. He
summoned me, as he could not get his car out of Park.
I noticed it was a Ford. Did my best by gestures to
suggest he push the brake, which did the job. Now he's
able to shift into drive, and go about his travel.

My VW Golf did that. My neighbour's Vauxhall didn't, and it once vibrated itself from park to reverse, and mowed down her gates while she wasn't in the car.

--
US PGA Commentator - "One of the reasons Arnie is playing so well is that, before each tee shot, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them."