Posted to alt.home.repair

Default G Fretwell picture

On 3/12/2016 9:40 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 19:33:22 -0600, Muggles
Just slip on a hat and get on with your life

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/crystal%20m...20Michigan.jpg

{{{{{{{{{brrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!}}}}}}

I guess the fur on your face does the trick.

Yup it puts me over.
That was really a joke shot for my family because I pretty much never
change out of those clothes no matter how cold it gets in Florida. If
I have a shirt on it is winter and if they ever see me in long pants
it is time to cover up the plants and worry about your pipes freezing.
I actually can survive longer than most people in the cold. I really
thought of putting on my skis and shooting a video going by.
The kids were freaking out.

Nice to be able to stand cold, like that. Now
that I'm getting elderly, I need to bundle up.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Square D electrical panel question

On Saturday, March 12, 2016 at 1:42:01 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Yup, it is like the pool pump rules here. They want 2 speed, or
multiple speed pumps when the reality is as soon as you get the
required water turnover, you can just turn the pump off.
Mine is on a 6 hour a day timer and it stays blue.

The difference is that you can run it twice as long at half the
pump spped, move the same amount of water, and it saves a substantial
amount of electricity used. The pump power goes up as the cube of the speed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 08:16:03 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 3/12/2016 9:40 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 19:33:22 -0600, Muggles
Just slip on a hat and get on with your life

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/crystal%20m...20Michigan.jpg

{{{{{{{{{brrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!}}}}}}

I guess the fur on your face does the trick.

Yup it puts me over.
That was really a joke shot for my family because I pretty much never
change out of those clothes no matter how cold it gets in Florida. If
I have a shirt on it is winter and if they ever see me in long pants
it is time to cover up the plants and worry about your pipes freezing.
I actually can survive longer than most people in the cold. I really
thought of putting on my skis and shooting a video going by.
The kids were freaking out.

Nice to be able to stand cold, like that. Now
that I'm getting elderly, I need to bundle up.

Coming up on 70 here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 06:15:03 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Saturday, March 12, 2016 at 1:42:01 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Yup, it is like the pool pump rules here. They want 2 speed, or
multiple speed pumps when the reality is as soon as you get the
required water turnover, you can just turn the pump off.
Mine is on a 6 hour a day timer and it stays blue.

The difference is that you can run it twice as long at half the
pump spped, move the same amount of water, and it saves a substantial
amount of electricity used. The pump power goes up as the cube of the speed.

It is all about how you size the pump. The vacuum will not run if the
speed is too low. My neighbor has one of those computer controlled
variable speed pumps and he had to add a timer to manually cycle it on
to bypass the automatic features.,
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/13/2016 10:09 AM, wrote:
On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 08:16:03 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 3/12/2016 9:40 PM,
wrote:
On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 19:33:22 -0600, Muggles
Just slip on a hat and get on with your life

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/crystal%20m...20Michigan.jpg

{{{{{{{{{brrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!}}}}}}

I guess the fur on your face does the trick.

Yup it puts me over.
That was really a joke shot for my family because I pretty much never
change out of those clothes no matter how cold it gets in Florida. If
I have a shirt on it is winter and if they ever see me in long pants
it is time to cover up the plants and worry about your pipes freezing.
I actually can survive longer than most people in the cold. I really
thought of putting on my skis and shooting a video going by.
The kids were freaking out.

Nice to be able to stand cold, like that. Now
that I'm getting elderly, I need to bundle up.

Coming up on 70 here.

For me, it's more about humidity than temperature. I'm usually quite
comfortable during the Minnesota winter, mainly because the humidity is
so low.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 3/12/2016 9:40 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 19:33:22 -0600, Muggles
Just slip on a hat and get on with your life

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/crystal%20m...20Michigan.jpg

{{{{{{{{{brrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!}}}}}}

I guess the fur on your face does the trick.

Yup it puts me over.
That was really a joke shot for my family because I pretty much never
change out of those clothes no matter how cold it gets in Florida. If
I have a shirt on it is winter and if they ever see me in long pants
it is time to cover up the plants and worry about your pipes freezing.
I actually can survive longer than most people in the cold. I really
thought of putting on my skis and shooting a video going by.
The kids were freaking out.

Nice to be able to stand cold, like that. Now
that I'm getting elderly, I need to bundle up.

Coming up on 70 here.

Anybody can withstand cold, it's called being warm blooded, all mammals are warm blooded. And actually it increases your immune system and burns calories. It's bad for you to keep warm all the time.

--
If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 3/12/2016 9:40 PM, wrote:
[...]

It really comes down to your ability to regulate the temperature in
your body. I tend to hold heat in my core so I don't seem to be cold
for quite a while but the flip side of that is it makes me more
susceptible to frost bite in my extremities.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 3/12/2016 9:40 PM, wrote:
[...]

Everybody has the ability, but a lot of people moan about nothing. You shiver when you lose 1 to 2C of heat. You need to lose SEVENTEEN C of heat to die. So stop worrying about it. Shivering doesn't mean you're too cold, it STOPS you getting too cold.

--
When you own Llamas... spit happens
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 19:28:04 -0000, wrote:

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 19:05:25 +0000, Bod wrote:

On 10/03/2016 16:35, wrote:
On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 11:08:30 -0500,
wrote:

Forgot the picture

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 14:21:07 -0000, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

which are the less common type and only required in certain applications.

Of course that's the type I'm talking about, hence me referring to 30mA, not 15A. In the UK, the whole house is protected by such things, why wouldn't it be? This is why I use fuses.

You folks are talking apples, oranges and pomegranates

In UK, Oz and NZ they have an RCD that looks for ground faults in the
range of 30ma and disconnect the whole panel.
This is a typical NZ panel.
The red breaker is the main, the blue the RCD and the rest are branch
circuit breakers.

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/New%20Zeala...el%20board.jpg

In the US we only protect single branch circuits or individual loads
with a GFCI but that is at 5ma.
When we see 30ma protection, it is called "ground fault protection for
equipment" because we think 30ma is too high to protect people.
One thing you must keep in mind is 5ma might not kill you but it can
still cause you to fall off the ladder.

Then use battery or petrol driven tools up a ladder.

This usually involves someone working on a ceiling light or other
electrical equipment.

Here's a novel idea, turn the light off first.

--
Seen in a health food sto
Shoplifters will be beaten over the head with an organic carrot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 19:54:19 -0000, trader_4 wrote:

On Thursday, March 10, 2016 at 9:54:07 AM UTC-5, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 14:43:11 -0000, trader_4 wrote:

On Thursday, March 10, 2016 at 9:14:22 AM UTC-5, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Mon, 07 Mar 2016 14:48:12 -0000, trader_4 wrote:

On Sunday, March 6, 2016 at 6:38:12 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sun, 6 Mar 2016 12:20:17 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

Some of the code is way above ,but guess the government is trying to prevent
people from doing stupid things. They are regulating how hot the coffee can
be in restraunts now. Seems that a while aback someone got some hot coffee
at a drive through and spilled it on their selves and got burnt and sued and
won about 5 or 6 million dollars for that.

They were awarded a huge amount (2.68 million, i believe), but
McDonalds appealed and the payment was significantly reduced, with the
woman eventually recieving $640,000.

And there were extenuating circumstances too. The plaintiff showed that
McDonalds knew for a long time that their coffee was far hotter than
coffee at similar places, dangerously hot, etc and did nothing about it.
It was so hot that it melted the nylon the woman was wearing, as I recall.

It can't be more than boiling point. Most people boil the water for their coffee. There is no excuse for the woman being so stupid.

The correct brewing temp for coffee is ~200F. That's brewing temp,
not serving temp. Serving temp varies from place to place, but
IDK any place here that serves it anywhere close to boiling,
~160 - 170F seems to be a typical serving temp. McDonalds
was *serving* it at around 200, as I recall.

So what, all are hot enough to burn you, which is why I don't understand peopledrinking hot coffe. I always have to wait about 10-15 minutes before I can drink it.

Which is more likely to melt nylons and give you third degree burns?

There isn't much difference between 200 and 170F.

And how was the woman
stupid? She bought the coffee at a McDonald;s drive-thru. It
accidentally spilled. If she's stupid for buying coffee at their
drive-thru, then McD is stupid for selling it at their drive-thru.
And it was shown that McD knew that it was exceptionally hot, the
woman did not.

She picked up a cup of something and couldn't tell what temperature it was?

I guess they don't have drive-thrus in the UK.

Yes, we do. But we aren't stupid enough to put hot coffee balanced in stupid places.

She pulled up to a window
and they handed her the coffee. By then it was too late and she had
no way of knowing what temp it was. But McD did know that it was being
served at 200F, too hot for anyone to drink.

It wasn't too late, she was holding it and knew what temperature it was by the sensors in the skin of her hand, yet she chose to balance it in her lap, next to her naughty bits.

She balanced it in her lap then spilt it. Coffee is hot, that's a simple fact known to anyone with half a brain. This ****wit must have thought she'd ordered pop or something. Is she retarded? What was she doing driving a car if she was that dopey? Fine her for frivolous allegations. Even better drown the lawyer who took her side. Even better drown all lawyers. Slowly. Take responsibility for your own actions and stop blaming other people like pathetic little 6 year olds. In the UK, that lawsuit would have failed immediately. But then again, UK intelligence is a lot higher. If you guys would stop protecting your dumbasses, your next generation might match the intelligence of the rest of the world and you'd no longer be the laughing stock of our planet.

Feel free to rant. The jury ruled in her favor, it's over. And I think
there was enough evidence there to support the verdict.

Your courts always get things wrong, basically because it's similarly stupid Americans voting in the jury. The simple fact is people should look after themselves. McDonalds did not throw the coffee over her. SHE caused the coffee to spill. ONLY SHE is to blame. This is simple logic and if you can't follow that it's no wonder you spend half your life in courts suing each other, it really is pathetic to watch. Take some responsibility for your on actions and grow the **** up.

--
Patient: Doctor, I think I need glasses.
Madam: I think so, too. This is a brothel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 19:55:27 -0000, trader_4 wrote:

On Thursday, March 10, 2016 at 11:08:44 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

And McCaw doesn't understand Ohms law either.

Show me some evidence as to why you think I don't. I have a degree in electronics and I can assure you I know everything there is to know about resistance.

--
I got invited to a Muslim party the other night.
It was the fastest game of pass the parcel I've even seen!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 19:59:53 -0000, Muggles wrote:

On 3/10/2016 1:51 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Mon, 07 Mar 2016 04:39:20 -0000, Muggles
wrote:

On 3/6/2016 10:25 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
...there goes my mind off on a tangent again....SQUIRREL! o_O

shhhhhhhhhhhh!! The dog barks like crazy if we even HINT at that word.
We have to call them 'tree rats'.

Are American squirrels the same as UK ones? I ask because your robins
are like our blackbirds. Our robins are red.

Don't know if your squirrels are the same as ours.

We have these two:

Red squirrel (despite the filename): http://www.uksafari.com/jpeg3/greysquirrel01.jpg
Grey squirrel: http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...l1_665805c.jpg

--
If you believe in telepathy, raise my hand.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 19:37:13 -0000, wrote:

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 19:05:30 -0000, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 17:48:53 -0000, wrote:

I do think you should go easy on the "pansy" talk tho.
300,000,000-400,000,000 million guns don't seem to scare us much and
well over a million are even machine guns.

You have guns BECAUSE you're scared.

We have guns because we can. The thing a lot of people do not
understand is there is a very active shooting sport community here.
Beyond hunting we also have skeet, trap, sporting clays and a number
of different target sports. That is where most of the billions of
rounds of ammo that get fired here are used. It is just not worthy of
putting on CNN.

This is simply another country with another culture. You are 3000
miles away, I think you will be safe if you stay there.

We shoot for sport, but we don't carry the ****ing things about with us in the street. What on earth makes you think you have the right to kill anyone you please? At any point you could lose your temper, take the gun out of your pocket and kill someone stood in front of you. And don't say you wouldn't, because there are plenty people who would.

--
I had some words with my wife, and she had some paragraphs with me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 17:58:55 -0000, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

In the US we only protect single branch circuits or individual loads
with a GFCI but that is at 5ma.
When we see 30ma protection, it is called "ground fault protection for
equipment" because we think 30ma is too high to protect people.
One thing you must keep in mind is 5ma might not kill you but it can
still cause you to fall off the ladder.

Then use battery or petrol driven tools up a ladder.

This usually involves someone working on a ceiling light or other
electrical equipment.

Here's a novel idea, turn the light off first.

The problem is when there is more than one circuit in the box or when
people assume all white wires (neutral here) will be grounded. If you
open up that wire nut only one of those wires with be ground, the
others may be at full line voltage through the connected load.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 18:36:07 -0000, wrote:

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 17:58:55 -0000, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

In the US we only protect single branch circuits or individual loads
with a GFCI but that is at 5ma.
When we see 30ma protection, it is called "ground fault protection for
equipment" because we think 30ma is too high to protect people.
One thing you must keep in mind is 5ma might not kill you but it can
still cause you to fall off the ladder.

Then use battery or petrol driven tools up a ladder.

This usually involves someone working on a ceiling light or other
electrical equipment.

Here's a novel idea, turn the light off first.

The problem is when there is more than one circuit in the box or when
people assume all white wires (neutral here) will be grounded. If you
open up that wire nut only one of those wires with be ground, the
others may be at full line voltage through the connected load.

Firstly, why on earth would you have more than one lighting circuit? Secondly, if you do, simply use a multimeter!

--
"If you have voted after you are dead, there is a good strong possibility that you did something illegal." -- Kevin Shwedo, California DMV director
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 18:08:03 -0000, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

[...]

Most of the concealed carry license procedure is taking training that
tells you that you are not allowed to shoot people.
There is a very limited number of circumstances where you are even
allowed to expose your gun and even fewer where you can shoot.

The reality is, there have been very few people with the license who
have shot someone when they were not justified ... including
Zimmerman, who got all of that publicity. He was actually charged in a
politically motivated kangaroo court and acquitted of all charges.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 18:42:21 -0000, wrote:

[...]

Training doesn't stop someone. If you wanted to kill some people, you just need to go get a license, carry a concealed weapon, then go kill folk. Someone you hate, a whole group of people you hate, or just anyone if you're a mass murderer.

--
What did the elephant say to the naked man?
How do you pick up anything with that?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 18:44:55 -0000, wrote:

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 18:09:00 -0000, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 20:04:54 -0000, Bod wrote:

On 10/03/2016 19:37, wrote:
On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 19:05:30 -0000, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 17:48:53 -0000, wrote:

I do think you should go easy on the "pansy" talk tho.
300,000,000-400,000,000 million guns don't seem to scare us much and
well over a million are even machine guns.

You have guns BECAUSE you're scared.

We have guns because we can. The thing a lot of people do not
understand is there is a very active shooting sport community here.
Beyond hunting we also have skeet, trap, sporting clays and a number
of different target sports. That is where most of the billions of
rounds of ammo that get fired here are used. It is just not worthy of
putting on CNN.

This is simply another country with another culture. You are 3000
miles away, I think you will be safe if you stay there.

Yup, I can virtually guarantee that fact.

M'colleague went on holiday to the USA, and he was advised by the travel agent not to upset any drivers, as it's quite likely they'll get out of their car and shoot you for cutting them up.

In Miami they had to stop putting rental car identification on the
cars because it was identifying tourists who were more likely to be
"soft targets" because they will never be armed.

You're helping to make my point that you're all nuts!

--
8 Brits were injured last year in accidents involving out of control Scalextric cars.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/13/2016 10:09 AM, wrote:
On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 08:16:03 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 3/12/2016 9:40 PM,
wrote:
On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 19:33:22 -0600, Muggles
Just slip on a hat and get on with your life

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/crystal%20m...20Michigan.jpg

{{{{{{{{{brrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!}}}}}}

I guess the fur on your face does the trick.

Yup it puts me over.
That was really a joke shot for my family because I pretty much never
change out of those clothes no matter how cold it gets in Florida. If
I have a shirt on it is winter and if they ever see me in long pants
it is time to cover up the plants and worry about your pipes freezing.
I actually can survive longer than most people in the cold. I really
thought of putting on my skis and shooting a video going by.
The kids were freaking out.

Nice to be able to stand cold, like that. Now
that I'm getting elderly, I need to bundle up.

Coming up on 70 here.

You don't look a day over 60!

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/13/2016 3:54 AM, Bod wrote:
On 13/03/2016 01:16, wrote:
On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 17:05:19 -0000, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

On Tue, 08 Mar 2016 20:45:07 -0000, DerbyDad03

...snip...

Coffee makers work fine on 120
and most do not even approach the 1440w available. A drip maker can
just "drip" so fast without overloading the filter pan.

...snip...

It's less about overloading the filter pan and more about "contact
time".

If the water drips through too fast, the taste will be affected.
Unfortunately,
with most home drip systems, you are at the mercy of the machine's
drip rate.

SWMBO and I bought a $300 Breville unit for each other as a
Christmas gift.
You can adjust the brew strength by adjusting the contact time. It
makes a
really great cup of coffee, but it has too many features and too
many parts
to clean to be convenient for everyday use. We ended up going back
to our
basic drip machine, sacrificing some flavor for ease of use.

Stolen without permission from:

http://www.ncausa.org/About-Coffee/How-to-Brew-Coffee

Brewing Time

The amount of time that the water is in contact with the coffee
grounds is
another important flavor factor.

In a drip system, the contact time should be approximately 5
minutes. If you
are making your coffee using a plunger pot, the contact time should
be 2-4
minutes. Espresso has an especially brief brew time -- the coffee is
in contact
with the water for only 20-30 seconds.

If you're not happy with the taste, it's possible that you're either
over-
extracting (the brew time is too long) or under-extracting (the brew
time is
too short). Experiment with the contact time until the taste suits you
perfectly.

Never heard of instant coffee? Boil water, add a spoon of powder,
stir, add milk.

Instant coffee? Yuk

I'm a cappuccino man myself :-)

I enjoy cappuccino, too!

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default G Fretwell picture (and it's cold out there)

On 3/13/2016 1:21 PM, SeaNymph wrote:
On 3/13/2016 10:09 AM, wrote:
On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 08:16:03 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 3/12/2016 9:40 PM,
wrote:
On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 19:33:22 -0600, Muggles
Just slip on a hat and get on with your life

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/crystal%20m...20Michigan.jpg

Nice to be able to stand cold, like that. Now
that I'm getting elderly, I need to bundle up.

Coming up on 70 here.

For me, it's more about humidity than temperature. I'm usually quite
comfortable during the Minnesota winter, mainly because the humidity is
so low.

I talked to Army guy from Alaska, one time. Western NYS
gets near zero F now and again, and I really freeze to
the core. Asked how he could tolerate the -70 or so that
Alaska does now and again. He said it was the humidity,
western NYS is humid, Alaska is dry.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 3/6/2016 10:25 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
...there goes my mind off on a tangent again....SQUIRREL! o_O

shhhhhhhhhhhh!! The dog barks like crazy if we even HINT at that word.
We have to call them 'tree rats'.

Are American squirrels the same as UK ones? I ask because your robins
are like our blackbirds. Our robins are red.

Don't know if your squirrels are the same as ours.

We have these two:

Red squirrel (despite the filename):
http://www.uksafari.com/jpeg3/greysquirrel01.jpg
Grey squirrel:
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...l1_665805c.jpg

I think we have both, here. Funny thing, I went to let the dog out and
a big fat red squirrel was sitting on the back porch. I opened the door
quickly and and said "get it" to the dog and I've never seen her exit
that fast before! The squirrel about became doggy food, too, that time.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 3/6/2016 10:25 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
...there goes my mind off on a tangent again....SQUIRREL! o_O

shhhhhhhhhhhh!! The dog barks like crazy if we even HINT at that word.
We have to call them 'tree rats'.

Are American squirrels the same as UK ones? I ask because your robins
are like our blackbirds. Our robins are red.

Don't know if your squirrels are the same as ours.

We have these two:

Red squirrel (despite the filename):
http://www.uksafari.com/jpeg3/greysquirrel01.jpg
Grey squirrel:
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...l1_665805c.jpg

I think we have both, here. Funny thing, I went to let the dog out and
a big fat red squirrel was sitting on the back porch. I opened the door
quickly and and said "get it" to the dog and I've never seen her exit
that fast before! The squirrel about became doggy food, too, that time.

Squirrels are lovely creatures that do no harm. They are not like rats that pee everywhere and chew up garbage.

--
Kakistocracy - Government by the least qualified or most unprincipled citizens.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/kakistocracy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/13/2016 10:09 AM, wrote:
On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 08:16:03 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 3/12/2016 9:40 PM,
wrote:
On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 19:33:22 -0600, Muggles
Just slip on a hat and get on with your life

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/crystal%20m...20Michigan.jpg

Nice to be able to stand cold, like that. Now
that I'm getting elderly, I need to bundle up.

Coming up on 70 here.

For me, it's more about humidity than temperature. I'm usually quite
comfortable during the Minnesota winter, mainly because the humidity is
so low.

I talked to Army guy from Alaska, one time. Western NYS
gets near zero F now and again, and I really freeze to
the core. Asked how he could tolerate the -70 or so that
Alaska does now and again. He said it was the humidity,
western NYS is humid, Alaska is dry.

You can get used to any temperature. Keep wrapping up warm and moaning about it and you won't. Walk around topless in winter and you'll quickly get used to it.

--
Paddy and his wife are lying in bed and the neighbours' dog is barking like mad in the garden.
Paddy says "To hell with this!" and storms off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/13/2016 10:09 AM, wrote:
On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 08:16:03 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 3/12/2016 9:40 PM,
wrote:
On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 19:33:22 -0600, Muggles
Just slip on a hat and get on with your life

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/crystal%20m...20Michigan.jpg

Nice to be able to stand cold, like that. Now
that I'm getting elderly, I need to bundle up.

Coming up on 70 here.

For me, it's more about humidity than temperature. I'm usually quite
comfortable during the Minnesota winter, mainly because the humidity is
so low.

I talked to Army guy from Alaska, one time. Western NYS
gets near zero F now and again, and I really freeze to
the core. Asked how he could tolerate the -70 or so that
Alaska does now and again. He said it was the humidity,
western NYS is humid, Alaska is dry.

That is way too much of an oversimplification.

Yes, it's dryer in AK so the cold doesn't feel quite so bad, but
you don't go out in -70°F dressed like it's 0°F in western NY. You
don't really "tolerate" it like you can tolerate 0°

At those temps you wear full artic gear with no exposed skin:

http://thulegreenlandsite.com/images...rctic-gear.jpg

According to this chart, temperatures as relatively "warm" as -40°F
with 15 MPH winds can result is frostbite in under 5 minutes.

http://www.atc.army.mil/weather/windchill.pdf

The coldest temps I've experienced were -35°F with 30 MPH winds
while in the USCG in AK. All we did was dress up, go outside for a
few minutes, say "OK, done that" and go back inside. Our beer
froze before we could finish it anyway.

Going out to toss a Frisbee around at temps below 0° was fairly common.
Having family and friends mail up spares was also fairly common. Frisbees
tend to get rather brittle at those temps.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Well, they will chew through anything, including plastic containers, if
there is any sort of feed in them. They also can eat everything in a
vegetable garden and not leave the grower a morsel to harvest.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

We have both types of squirrels. Since the nesting hawks have returned,
the red squirrels will soon be snack food.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 20:54:37 -0000, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

You can get used to any temperature. Keep wrapping up warm and moaning about it and you won't. Walk around topless in winter and you'll quickly get used to it.

That works fine up to a point, then you just go into hypothermia and
shock ensues.
Fall in the North Sea in winter and I give you minutes.
When I was in the North Atlantic in December they said that -2c water
would immobilize you in about 2-3

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 22:21:17 -0000, wrote:

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 20:54:37 -0000, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

You can get used to any temperature. Keep wrapping up warm and moaning about it and you won't. Walk around topless in winter and you'll quickly get used to it.

That works fine up to a point, then you just go into hypothermia and
shock ensues.
Fall in the North Sea in winter and I give you minutes.
When I was in the North Atlantic in December they said that -2c water
would immobilize you in about 2-3

Utter bull****. The commonly quoted figure is in fact 15 minutes for 0C. -5C would be 7.5 minutes, it halves for every 5C.
But even that is complete and utter ****e. There have been studies done, and it actually takes 2 HOURS to cool the body enough to kill it at 0C.
Have you never tried swimming in winter? Have you never fallen through ice or known someone who has? Have you never seen Russians going for an ice swim? They most certainly don't get out after a minute. I go swimming in 0C water myself, and I don't even start shivering until I've been in for 30 minutes, so to say that a few minutes is deadly is absolutely stupid.

--
Complete with obligatory low frequency bass, electrically recorded on a four track in two hours. This has enough power to destroy the most expensive washing machine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Not to mention they will chew right through a door to get to that
plastic container, and eat the insulation off wires. Even the darn
chipmunks are nasty for that. Did about $1800 damage to my wife's last
car.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Blacks, greys, and reds around here. The reds are canibals and will
clean out a black or grey squirrel nest in no-time. They clean out
bird nests too (including the nests of hawks etc if they get half a
chance)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

We caught one chewing on the eaves of our house! {{grumble}}

A couple years ago I grew a small section of corn in my garden and when
I went to check on the corn ears, they'd all been eaten down to the cob
while still on the plants. The varmints ate a lot of our tomatoes, too,
so no leaving them on the plants if they showed any tinge of red at all.

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I'm not a fan of squirrels. I have bird feeders that they can't get
into, hard as they try. The hawks eat the little buggers every year and
I'm okay with that.