Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Square D electrical panel question

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 13:15:03 -0000, trader_4 wrote:

On Saturday, March 12, 2016 at 1:42:01 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Yup, it is like the pool pump rules here. They want 2 speed, or
multiple speed pumps when the reality is as soon as you get the
required water turnover, you can just turn the pump off.
Mine is on a 6 hour a day timer and it stays blue.

The difference is that you can run it twice as long at half the
pump spped, move the same amount of water, and it saves a substantial
amount of electricity used. The pump power goes up as the cube of the speed.

And the owner pays for the electricity so it's nobody's business but theirs.

--
In 1977, researchers detected a strong radio signal from space that lasted 72 seconds. It hasn't been detected since.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 18:41:40 -0000, wrote:

On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 17:04:32 -0000, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

On Tue, 08 Mar 2016 20:17:30 -0000, wrote:

They do not fuse plugs here, except for cheap asian christmas lights
with wire that is less than a mm (20 ga)

So all cords you plug in can take the full 15A of the breaker in the box then? If not, they should be fused. Especially an extension cord with more than one socket on the end.

It is an issue but not serious enough to require fused plugs. I
suspect it will be a reality some day.
They have made 18 ga cords illegal tho and a 16 ga cord will run quite
a while on 15a without getting that hot.
14ga is limited by code to 15a but the real ampacity is 20 (we don't
tell people that tho)

What about a bedside lamp? What cable does that use and is it fused at the plug?

This is becoming a nanny state. You can' do anything without bumping
into laws about helmets, seat belts, guard rails etc. A damned ladder
has to have about 15 labels warning of bad things that happen if you
actually climb up it.

I almost gave the "health and softy officer" at my last place of work a heart attack many times. To reach the ceiling to change the bulb in a projector, I placed 9 square desks in a 3x3 arrangement, 2x2 on that, then 1 on that. Then I climbed the pyramid and changed the bulb. She happened to walk in while I was doing it and said "I didn't see that!" then ran off. When she discovered I'd climbed onto the sloped roof of the two storey building to adjust a satellite dish for internet reception after strong winds, she almost cried.

My wife is the safety officer at her place and she would just make you
get down ... as a condition of your employment. It is all about
lawyers. They let them advertise on TV and you see ads like "did you
get hurt doing something incredibly stupid, We can get you money. Call
Dewey Cheatum and Howe".

Oh I was told not to do things, but I just disobeyed. If they want me to work there, they have to let me do it my way. Anyway, they all knew I was completely against childish lawsuit **** and would never have sued them. I take responsibility for my own actions.

Absolutely true. I admit, if I was actually boiling that much water, I
would do it. We can buy a duplex outlet that has 240 and 120 in the
same device and the 240 side would not even have to be GFCI (RCD).

Er..... you need to GFCI a low voltage but not the more dangerous 240?!

It is just the way the law is written. Most of the outlets are 120v as
is most of the portable equipment.

Lets make the safe things safer and to hell with the dangerous things?

Since it is required to have two 120v circuits serving the counter top
it would be trivial to bring that from both sides of the center tap
with a neutral and split it right there for your two required 120v
circuits.
I was impressed by the 240v kettles in New Zealand but once I got
home, I realized, we don't drink tea. Coffee makers work fine on 120
and most do not even approach the 1440w available. A drip maker can
just "drip" so fast without overloading the filter pan. Even the big
commercial units are still 120v and commercial kitchens always have
240 available.

Yes, but the time taken from switching it on to getting the first cup of coffee would **** me off. I want it ready within 30 seconds of me wanting it.

As someone else pointed out, the process takes longer than that, no
matter how fast you can actually boil the water. The real coffee nuts
will say "boiling" is too hot for coffee anyway, hence our drip
machines.

Not for instant. You boil the water stir in the powder and add milk.

I guess the bottom line is this side of the pond is 120v and it is
going to stay that way. We seem to get by.

I would accept that if you ONLY had 120V. But since you have the 240V available, why not use it? If I moved there, I'd likely change every damn outlet to 240V.

You would have to bring your equipment with you. We don't have much
240v stuff except for fixed in place equipment.

Never heard of Ebay?

OK now explain why you drive on the wrong side of the road ;-)

Isn't it historical to do with knights and holding swords?

I guess we usually learn how to shoot with both hands

Really? Surely shooting a gun accurately is like swinging a golf club, you learn to do it one way round.

--
A government survey has shown that 91% of illegal immigrants come to this country so that they can see their own doctor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

**** them, buy two pumps.

--
Police cordoned off Liverpool City Centre this morning when a suspicious object was discovered in a car.
It later turned out to be a tax disc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 01:16:47 -0000, wrote:

On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 17:05:19 -0000, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

On Tue, 08 Mar 2016 20:45:07 -0000, DerbyDad03 wrote:

...snip...

Coffee makers work fine on 120
and most do not even approach the 1440w available. A drip maker can
just "drip" so fast without overloading the filter pan.

...snip...

It's less about overloading the filter pan and more about "contact time".

If the water drips through too fast, the taste will be affected. Unfortunately,
with most home drip systems, you are at the mercy of the machine's drip rate.

SWMBO and I bought a $300 Breville unit for each other as a Christmas gift.
You can adjust the brew strength by adjusting the contact time. It makes a
really great cup of coffee, but it has too many features and too many parts
to clean to be convenient for everyday use. We ended up going back to our
basic drip machine, sacrificing some flavor for ease of use.

Stolen without permission from:

http://www.ncausa.org/About-Coffee/How-to-Brew-Coffee

Brewing Time

The amount of time that the water is in contact with the coffee grounds is
another important flavor factor.

In a drip system, the contact time should be approximately 5 minutes. If you
are making your coffee using a plunger pot, the contact time should be 2-4
minutes. Espresso has an especially brief brew time -- the coffee is in contact
with the water for only 20-30 seconds.

If you're not happy with the taste, it's possible that you're either over-
extracting (the brew time is too long) or under-extracting (the brew time is
too short). Experiment with the contact time until the taste suits you
perfectly.

Never heard of instant coffee? Boil water, add a spoon of powder, stir, add milk.

Instant coffee? Yuk

What's the point in a drink you have to spend ages preparing?

--
An Ohio teen has pleaded innocent to stealing his mother's credit card to pay for a friend's breast enlargement surgery.
Police say it's lucky they caught the guy quickly; otherwise, it may have turned into a bigger bust.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default G Fretwell picture (and it's cold out there)

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 21:21:26 -0000, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Sunday, March 13, 2016 at 4:29:25 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 3/13/2016 1:21 PM, SeaNymph wrote:
On 3/13/2016 10:09 AM, wrote:
On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 08:16:03 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 3/12/2016 9:40 PM,
wrote:
On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 19:33:22 -0600, Muggles
Just slip on a hat and get on with your life

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/crystal%20m...20Michigan.jpg

Nice to be able to stand cold, like that. Now
that I'm getting elderly, I need to bundle up.

Coming up on 70 here.

For me, it's more about humidity than temperature. I'm usually quite
comfortable during the Minnesota winter, mainly because the humidity is
so low.

I talked to Army guy from Alaska, one time. Western NYS
gets near zero F now and again, and I really freeze to
the core. Asked how he could tolerate the -70 or so that
Alaska does now and again. He said it was the humidity,
western NYS is humid, Alaska is dry.

That is way too much of an oversimplification.

Yes, it's dryer in AK so the cold doesn't feel quite so bad, but
you don't go out in -70°F dressed like it's 0°F in western NY. You
don't really "tolerate" it like you can tolerate 0°

At those temps you wear full artic gear with no exposed skin:

http://thulegreenlandsite.com/images...rctic-gear.jpg

According to this chart, temperatures as relatively "warm" as -40°F
with 15 MPH winds can result is frostbite in under 5 minutes.

Only if you're a pathetic sissy.

http://www.atc.army.mil/weather/windchill.pdf

The coldest temps I've experienced were -35°F with 30 MPH winds
while in the USCG in AK. All we did was dress up, go outside for a
few minutes, say "OK, done that" and go back inside. Our beer
froze before we could finish it anyway.

Going out to toss a Frisbee around at temps below 0° was fairly common.
Having family and friends mail up spares was also fairly common. Frisbees
tend to get rather brittle at those temps.

--
It's strange, isn't it? You stand in the middle of a library and go "Aaaaaaagghhhh!!!!" and everyone just stares at you. But you do the same thing on an aeroplane, and everyone joins in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 16 Mar 2016 17:24:33 -0000, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 18:41:40 -0000, wrote:

They have made 18 ga cords illegal tho and a 16 ga cord will run quite
a while on 15a without getting that hot.
14ga is limited by code to 15a but the real ampacity is 20 (we don't
tell people that tho)

What about a bedside lamp? What cable does that use and is it fused at the plug?

The NEC differentiates between over current (short circuit) and
overload (continuous loads exceeding the capability of the wire)
An 18ga lamp cord is sufficient to handle the largest lamp that will
fit in the socket and it will still hold up long enough to operate a
20a over current device in the case of a short circuit.
There is no fuse in the plug.
It certainly would be easy to make the case that all extension cords
(14ga or less) should have fuses since the manufacturer has no control
over the load but that case has not been made.

As someone else pointed out, the process takes longer than that, no
matter how fast you can actually boil the water. The real coffee nuts
will say "boiling" is too hot for coffee anyway, hence our drip
machines.

Not for instant. You boil the water stir in the powder and add milk.

.... but you still end up with a cup of nasty coffee. Instant can't
compete with fresh brewed.

I guess the bottom line is this side of the pond is 120v and it is
going to stay that way. We seem to get by.

I would accept that if you ONLY had 120V. But since you have the 240V available, why not use it? If I moved there, I'd likely change every damn outlet to 240V.

You would have to bring your equipment with you. We don't have much
240v stuff except for fixed in place equipment.

Never heard of Ebay?

There is nothing in the code that prevents you from installing 240 v
receptacles everywhere but they are not really that common here.

OK now explain why you drive on the wrong side of the road ;-)

Isn't it historical to do with knights and holding swords?

I guess we usually learn how to shoot with both hands

Really? Surely shooting a gun accurately is like swinging a golf club, you learn to do it one way round.

Serious shooters will usually learn to shoot well with either hand but
one will always be referred to as the "weak hand". When I am training
at the range I usually do both although it is clear my left is the
weak one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 16 Mar 2016 17:44:08 -0000, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

Never heard of instant coffee? Boil water, add a spoon of powder, stir, add milk.

Instant coffee? Yuk

What's the point in a drink you have to spend ages preparing?

A couple minutes is not ages and we usually make it a pot at a time.
Most coffee makers have a timer and people set it for about the time
they wake up. By the time you get to the kitchen, the coffee is ready.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 23:43:47 -0000, SeaNymph wrote:

On 3/13/2016 3:52 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 20:32:13 -0000, Muggles
wrote:

On 3/13/2016 1:05 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 19:59:53 -0000, Muggles
wrote:

On 3/10/2016 1:51 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Mon, 07 Mar 2016 04:39:20 -0000, Muggles
wrote:

On 3/6/2016 10:25 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
...there goes my mind off on a tangent again....SQUIRREL! o_O

shhhhhhhhhhhh!! The dog barks like crazy if we even HINT at that
word.
We have to call them 'tree rats'.

Are American squirrels the same as UK ones? I ask because your robins
are like our blackbirds. Our robins are red.

Don't know if your squirrels are the same as ours.

We have these two:

Red squirrel (despite the filename):
http://www.uksafari.com/jpeg3/greysquirrel01.jpg
Grey squirrel:
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...l1_665805c.jpg

I think we have both, here. Funny thing, I went to let the dog out and
a big fat red squirrel was sitting on the back porch. I opened the door
quickly and and said "get it" to the dog and I've never seen her exit
that fast before! The squirrel about became doggy food, too, that time.

Squirrels are lovely creatures that do no harm. They are not like rats
that pee everywhere and chew up garbage.

They're vermin.

No, because they don't pee everywhere and chew up garbage. They're no more vermin than a robin.

--
The Red Cross just knocked on my door and asked if we could contribute towards the floods in Lebanon.
I said we'd love to, but our garden hose only reaches the driveway.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Well, they will chew through anything, including plastic containers, if
there is any sort of feed in them. They also can eat everything in a
vegetable garden and not leave the grower a morsel to harvest.

But they're cute. Put out food for them and stop being so mean.

--
What does a Scotsman wear under his kilt?
Lipstick, if he's lucky.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, March 16, 2016 at 2:10:21 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wed, 16 Mar 2016 17:44:08 -0000, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

Never heard of instant coffee? Boil water, add a spoon of powder, stir, add milk.

Instant coffee? Yuk

What's the point in a drink you have to spend ages preparing?

A couple minutes is not ages and we usually make it a pot at a time.
Most coffee makers have a timer and people set it for about the time
they wake up. By the time you get to the kitchen, the coffee is ready.

If you want to talk about wasting time, let's talk about responding to the
idiotic things that Birdbrain says.

Now there's a waste of time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 04:22:42 -0000, wrote:

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 18:41:50 -0000, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

The problem is when there is more than one circuit in the box or when
people assume all white wires (neutral here) will be grounded. If you
open up that wire nut only one of those wires with be ground, the
others may be at full line voltage through the connected load.

Firstly, why on earth would you have more than one lighting circuit? Secondly, if you do, simply use a multimeter!

They tend to use the large ceiling boxes as junction boxes and there
may be a number of circuits radiating from there. We don't have loops.

How weird. My electricity travels to each lightswitch in turn, then IF the switch is on, then there is electricity at the light. Why send the electricity to the light, down to the switch, then back up to the light?

The other problem is, as long as all the neutral wires are connected,
it will be near or close to 0 volts. It is when you open that circuit
that you see line voltages through connected loads.

Which is harmless as a load has resistance.

--
"There are more planes in the ocean than submarines in the sky."
- From an old carrier sailor
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

They chew up everything, plastic, metal, wood, paper, trying to get to
food.

Of course, I think robins are stupid and don't much care for them either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, March 16, 2016 at 6:40:02 PM UTC-4, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 04:22:42 -0000, wrote:

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 18:41:50 -0000, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

The problem is when there is more than one circuit in the box or when
people assume all white wires (neutral here) will be grounded. If you
open up that wire nut only one of those wires with be ground, the
others may be at full line voltage through the connected load.

Firstly, why on earth would you have more than one lighting circuit? Secondly, if you do, simply use a multimeter!

They tend to use the large ceiling boxes as junction boxes and there
may be a number of circuits radiating from there. We don't have loops.

How weird. My electricity travels to each lightswitch in turn, then IF the switch is on, then there is electricity at the light. Why send the electricity to the light, down to the switch, then back up to the light?

Because it's often easier and often saves wire.

Source wires to switch box, hot switched, then to fixture box:

http://i.stack.imgur.com/IcZAP.png

Source wires to fixture box then *hot* wire to switch box and back to
fixture box:

http://www.how-to-wire-it.com/images...r-at-light.jpg

It all depends on the physical layout and how easy it is to run the wires.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The black squirrels will tear the heck out of your garbage cans too -
and chew into plastic garbage pails.

They are bushy-tailed rats with a publicity agent.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 16 Mar 2016 16:33:45 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

The (well, one good one anyway) reason is it is easiest to make your
runs across the ceiling from light to light, and then just drop the
switch lead down the wall to the switches.

If you are separating lights from other loads, the lighting wires are
in the ceiling, and the other load wires run in the floor, and up to
the outlets. That way you are not running wires through the walls and
getting tripped up by doors, heating ducts, and plumbing in the
walls.. Of course this is assuming not "on-slab" - with a basement or
accessible crawl space.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 16 Mar 2016 22:39:44 -0000, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 04:22:42 -0000, wrote:

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 18:41:50 -0000, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

The problem is when there is more than one circuit in the box or when
people assume all white wires (neutral here) will be grounded. If you
open up that wire nut only one of those wires with be ground, the
others may be at full line voltage through the connected load.

Firstly, why on earth would you have more than one lighting circuit? Secondly, if you do, simply use a multimeter!

They tend to use the large ceiling boxes as junction boxes and there
may be a number of circuits radiating from there. We don't have loops.

How weird. My electricity travels to each lightswitch in turn, then IF the switch is on, then there is electricity at the light. Why send the electricity to the light, down to the switch, then back up to the light?

Our wiring is radial, not a loop. They have a code change now that
will make these 2 wire switch loops (down to the switch) less popular
but there are millions of houses with them.
Now they must bring the neutral to all switch locations so feeding it
from the line neutral pair is desirable.

The other problem is, as long as all the neutral wires are connected,
it will be near or close to 0 volts. It is when you open that circuit
that you see line voltages through connected loads.

Which is harmless as a load has resistance.

What is the resistance of the load (100ohms?) and what is the
resistance of your body (100,000 ohms). Mr Ohm says .12v will be
dropped across the load and 119.88v will be dropped across your body.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I've seen a few black squirrels, but never around here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Common courtesy would require you to say where "here" is.

I'm going by memory so I may this reversed, but I looked it up when I lived in Germany a decade ago.

The native European squirrel was the red squirrel, which eats exclusively pine cones. The invading North American gray squirrel eats anything and outcompeted the red squirrel in the UK and was spreading.

The reason I looked it up is that I was curious about the Deutsch word for squirrel, Eichhoernchen (little oak crescent, a reference to the curved waving tail.) Why call it an oak crescent when they eat only pine? None of my German friends knew. But it turned out the Eich did not originally mean oak but came from an older dialect where it meant quick.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

They also eat acorns.

--
Bod

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I live in Minnesota.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, March 4, 2016 at 10:14:43 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, March 4, 2016 at 9:52:48 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 3/4/2016 9:39 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, March 4, 2016 at 7:00:14 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 3/3/2016 11:47 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 3 Mar 2016 21:40:14 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

I noticed a friends's Square D panel, the
neutral and ground (from the utility company
feed) are connected to the same bar. And less
than an inch apart.

Shouldn't the ground be connected to the
separate ground bar?

Should I move the ground wire?

No if this is the service disconnect enclosure where the ground
electrode conductor lands and the main disconnect resides they will be
on the same bus bar.

The question is about the circuit breaker panel
in the cellar. There is a main breaker, but I'd
not call it a main disconnect.

What would you call the main disconnect?

Is there another disconnect between the pole/underground wires and the
panel? If not, the main breaker in the panel is also the main disconnect.

Mains = wire coming in from the power company.
Main disconnect = a disconnect outside the house.
(yes, I've seen these before.)
Main breaker = the breaker that shuts off power
to all the smaller breakers.

I do not call a breaker in a panel a "main
disconnect".

Just because you don't call it a "main disconnect" doesn't make you
right.

Main disconnect a disconnect outside the house.

"2008 NEC Article 230.70 (A) (1)
The service disconnecting means shall be installed at a readily
accessible location either outside of a building or structure or
inside nearest the point of entrance of the service conductors."

The "breaker panel" inside the house could be a "service panel"
or a "distribution panel". If the main breaker is enclosed in that
panel and serves as the main disconnect, then the panel is a "service
panel". If the "main disconnect" is in an enclosure by itself which then
feeds another enclosure full of breakers for the individual circuits,
then the "first" enclosure is the service panel and the "second" is the distribution panel.

Review the conversation in this thread, or any other site of your choice:

(Sorry for the long link, I can not access tinyurl at this time)

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...ice-panel.html

Just testing GG. Bye!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

In Germany the red squirrels had hairy ears. Kind of freaky looking. They are a different species, or subspecies, or something. And they were being wiped out by the invading gray squirrels, who had a wider choice of diet, were bigger and stronger, and who carried some kind of viral plague.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The red squirrels are very small, perfect snack food for the hawks, but
really aggressive with other squirrels.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 04:24:14 -0000, wrote:

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 18:49:44 -0000, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 18:42:21 -0000, wrote:

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 18:08:03 -0000, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

You have guns BECAUSE you're scared.

We have guns because we can. The thing a lot of people do not
understand is there is a very active shooting sport community here.
Beyond hunting we also have skeet, trap, sporting clays and a number
of different target sports. That is where most of the billions of
rounds of ammo that get fired here are used. It is just not worthy of
putting on CNN.

This is simply another country with another culture. You are 3000
miles away, I think you will be safe if you stay there.

We shoot for sport, but we don't carry the ****ing things about with us in the street. What on earth makes you think you have the right to kill anyone you please? At any point you could lose your temper, take the gun out of your pocket and kill someone stood in front of you. And don't say you wouldn't, because there are plenty people who would.

Most of the concealed carry license procedure is taking training that
tells you that you are not allowed to shoot people.
There is a very limited number of circumstances where you are even
allowed to expose your gun and even fewer where you can shoot.

The reality is, there have been very few people with the license who
have shot someone when they were not justified ... including
Zimmerman, who got all of that publicity. He was actually charged in a
politically motivated kangaroo court and acquitted of all charges.

Training doesn't stop someone. If you wanted to kill some people, you just need to go get a license, carry a concealed weapon, then go kill folk. Someone you hate, a whole group of people you hate, or just anyone if you're a mass murderer.

Why would you jump through the hoops to get a license if you are just
going out to commit crimes?

So you can buy any gun you want more easily and without running the risk of being caught buying black market weapons.

--
Clair Frisby talking about a jumbo hot dog on Look North said: "There's nothing like a big hot sausage inside you on a cold night like this."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 22:44:12 -0000, wrote:

wrote:

[...]

We have both types of squirrels. Since the nesting hawks have returned,
the red squirrels will soon be snack food.

Blacks, greys, and reds around here. The reds are canibals and will
clean out a black or grey squirrel nest in no-time. They clean out
bird nests too (including the nests of hawks etc if they get half a
chance)

Never heard of black, but in the UK, we have grey and red. Both eat nuts and not animals.

--
Time that you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time -- Marthe Troly-Curtin
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 17 Mar 2016 07:49:09 -0500, SeaNymph
wrote:

Of course, I think robins are stupid and don't much care for them either.

The black squirrels will tear the heck out of your garbage cans too -
and chew into plastic garbage pails.

They are bushy-tailed rats with a publicity agent.

I've seen a few black squirrels, but never around here.

Up here they are a scourge.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I'm not a fan of squirrels. I have bird feeders that they can't get
into, hard as they try. The hawks eat the little buggers every year and
I'm okay with that.

I like watching squirrels more than birds, so I don't protect the feeders. The squirrels don't eat the birds.

--
Waiter, waiter, what's wrong with these eggs?
I don't know Sir, I only laid the table.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default G Fretwell's squirrel in the yard

Posted to alt.home.repair

gfretwell said we must have superconductors in the UK, or we'd get voltage drop on neutral which makes it dangerous. I pointed out you'd only get a small number of volts.

On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 18:42:42 -0000, Tony944 wrote:

Not sure what you are asking about explain ???

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message news
On Fri, 11 Mar 2016 00:36:32 -0000, wrote:

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 20:09:14 -0000, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

What is this fuss about ground and neutral? They are one and the same
here. Neutral is strapped to ground at the transformer.

You have superconductors there? Cool. Here we have voltage drop on our
conductors and the farther you get from the place where the neutral is
bonded, the higher the voltage is on the neutral.

Yeah, it could be something dangerous like 2 volts :-) The wire coming to
my house is 300 amps. That thing won't drop much voltage.

Think about it, say it dropped enough to give you a shock (I believe you
need 30 volts to even make you feel it) that would mean I'd have 30 volts on
neutral with reference to ground. So the voltage drop on the live would be
the same. That would mean I'd have 200 volts and 30 volts, a PD of 170
volts. Now they're required by law to provide me with 230 volts +10%/-8%,
so anything under 211.6 volts is no good (some equipment wouldn't work,
bulbs would be dim etc). 170 is a lot less than 211.6.

I have actually tested the voltage under high load conditions, and it never
drops more than about 5 volts (it'll be an equal drop on both conductors) -
so I could get a 2.5V shock off neutral - that's less than a lithium torch
battery, which I can touch the ends off with wet hands and not even feel it.

--
Definition of Necrophilia: That Uncontrollable Urge To Crack Open A Cold One.
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...1_665805c..jpg

[...]

That's kind of weird, but sometimes animals adapt. The red squirrels in Germany with the hairy tufted ears were less aggressive than the invading North American gray squirrels. All squirrels are somewhat opportunistic and will grab a meat snack occasionally, but the European red seems to stick very close to pine cones when it can.