Posted to alt.home.repair
Mr Macaw Mr Macaw is offline

Default G Fretwell picture (and it's cold out there)

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 21:21:26 -0000, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Sunday, March 13, 2016 at 4:29:25 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 3/13/2016 1:21 PM, SeaNymph wrote:
On 3/13/2016 10:09 AM, wrote:
On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 08:16:03 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 3/12/2016 9:40 PM,
wrote:
On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 19:33:22 -0600, Muggles
Just slip on a hat and get on with your life

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/crystal%20m...20Michigan.jpg

Nice to be able to stand cold, like that. Now
that I'm getting elderly, I need to bundle up.

Coming up on 70 here.

For me, it's more about humidity than temperature. I'm usually quite
comfortable during the Minnesota winter, mainly because the humidity is
so low.

I talked to Army guy from Alaska, one time. Western NYS
gets near zero F now and again, and I really freeze to
the core. Asked how he could tolerate the -70 or so that
Alaska does now and again. He said it was the humidity,
western NYS is humid, Alaska is dry.

That is way too much of an oversimplification.

Yes, it's dryer in AK so the cold doesn't feel quite so bad, but
you don't go out in -70°F dressed like it's 0°F in western NY. You
don't really "tolerate" it like you can tolerate 0°

At those temps you wear full artic gear with no exposed skin:

http://thulegreenlandsite.com/images...rctic-gear.jpg

According to this chart, temperatures as relatively "warm" as -40°F
with 15 MPH winds can result is frostbite in under 5 minutes.

Only if you're a pathetic sissy.

http://www.atc.army.mil/weather/windchill.pdf

The coldest temps I've experienced were -35°F with 30 MPH winds
while in the USCG in AK. All we did was dress up, go outside for a
few minutes, say "OK, done that" and go back inside. Our beer
froze before we could finish it anyway.

Going out to toss a Frisbee around at temps below 0° was fairly common.
Having family and friends mail up spares was also fairly common. Frisbees
tend to get rather brittle at those temps.

--
It's strange, isn't it? You stand in the middle of a library and go "Aaaaaaagghhhh!!!!" and everyone just stares at you. But you do the same thing on an aeroplane, and everyone joins in.