Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

Default A Perfect Case For NOT Using Linux.

On 21/06/2015 23:32, Peter Köhlmann wrote:
Jason C. McDonald wrote:

So, why do I advocate Linux? Because it is right for SOME PEOPLE, and I
believe in showing everyone what Linux honestly is capable of. People
are able to make up their own minds, without us trying to convince them
of the evils of the opposition.

So, while all of that is true, you still have talked to flatfish Gary
Stewart, one of the vilest trolls ever on usenet. "Tomas" is just one of his
several hundreds of nyms
And he absolutely certain does not intend to "discuss linux". He is a
windows troll who hates linux. Bin that ****head

Let me just translate that for everybody. What Peter actually said was:

"Once again I find I cannot argue logically or factually with anything
that has been said and I cannot therefore advocate Linux so I'll just
use some rude words to attack some strangers."
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

Snit wrote:

On 6/21/15, 2:27 PM, in article
, "Tomas"
wrote:

This one is hilarious. It's on a Linux centric site, written by a
Linux zealot yet because he tells the truth about Linux, admirable,
it really turns into a "why on earth would I want to run Linux" post.
Only he doesn't get it.
Like I said, hilarious.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Is-It...our-Main-Compu
ter-Operating-System-484750.shtml
http://tinyurl.com/p5yn75s

This part is
hysterical!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

A couple of hours a day and after a few months?
Is he ****ing kidding?
Most people don't last a day with Linux after trying it.
Linux is that bad.

"The truth is that, at first, it will be hard, and you will encounter
many issues. Prepare to search the Internet for many tutorials, join
forums of the Linux distribution you're migrating to and ask
questions on how to do various things. My suggestion is to install
Linux on a different computer, or use a dual-boot setup - though many
will encounter issues with that - and access it from time to time,
1-2 hours per day, and after a few months, you will know if you can
really make the switch."

Would be great if the "advocates" could find places where Linux actually
benefits their productivity, efficiency, or error-reduction.

But they can't.

I do know that some major banks use linux to run their servers HSBC being
one of them. Productive enough for you.

if you knew any thing. What you put in is what you get out.
With windows you pay cash. with linux you pay time. No
cash with windows you use hacked software. Then you have a compromised
system. Then you pay with time.

If linux hit the market first. Linux would have all the problems windows
has now. Android being my point.

If linux hit the market first would not all the hardware manufacturers
be writing drivers for linux. WHY?

Regardless of OS moving from one to another there will always be a learning
curve. If you are not prepared to put in the time you stay where you are.
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

Hadron Rabbit wrote:

I've always said that if your time is worthless then Linux Desktop is a
good cheap alternative for Windows.

Yes. By filthy scum like you, flatfish Gary Stewrat and other assorted
garbage. That naturally makes it true

Idiot
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Is-It...m-484750.shtml
http://tinyurl.com/p5yn75s

This part is
hysterical!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

A couple of hours a day and after a few months?
Is he ****ing kidding?
Most people don't last a day with Linux after trying it.
Linux is that bad.

"The truth is that, at first, it will be hard, and you will encounter
many issues. Prepare to search the Internet for many tutorials, join
forums of the Linux distribution you're migrating to and ask
questions on how to do various things. My suggestion is to install
Linux on a different computer, or use a dual-boot setup - though many
will encounter issues with that - and access it from time to time,
1-2 hours per day, and after a few months, you will know if you can
really make the switch."

Stop feeding the trolls. You're making them fat.
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

JBScott wrote:

On 21/06/15 22:27, Tomas wrote:
[...]

He *is* one of those trolls. Even one of the vilest trolls.
He is flatfish Gary Stewart. He has used hundreds of nyms

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/21/2015 09:45 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

Though I have not used PC-BSD I was running Free_BSD for a while.

I still have an OS/2 installation, Solaris and several versions of Linux...

and pretty much all versions of Windows going all the way back to version 1

If you like fooling with operating systems here is one of my geeky favorites

http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/

Believe it or not, I have played around with it before and LMAO because the name reminded me of the old campy SciFi movie. ^_^

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_9_from_Outer_Space

[8~{} Uncle Space Monster

Yep, I vaguely recalled the movie and am sure I had seen in when I was
in High School but re-watched it.

Quite true about it being so bad that it was funny.

I then got inspired to watch an early Johnny Depp movie "Ed Wood"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109707/

Really liked that one
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 22/06/2015 10:14, Peter Köhlmann wrote:
Hadron Rabbit wrote:

I've always said that if your time is worthless then Linux Desktop is a
good cheap alternative for Windows.

Yes. By filthy scum like you, flatfish Gary Stewrat and other assorted
garbage. That naturally makes it true

Translation: I cannot advocate Linux, I know I've lost the plot again so
here's a set of random insults.

Idiot

Liking your new sig!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 22, 2015 at 6:07:01 AM UTC-5, philo wrote:
[...]

What makes them so campy and funny is the "attempt" at drama and seriousness. I love the old Japanese monster movies and old SciFi movies because they really make me laugh. Of course, in all the SciFi TV shows, the outer space aliens speak English with a Canadian accent. For some reason, the engine rooms of all the space cruisers look just like chilled water plants or steam plants for skyscrapers and large institutions. I could swear I saw the names Trane and Carrier on some of the warp drives which looked just like centrifugal compressors in a chilled water plant. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Alien Monster
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 2015-06-22, Darklight wrote:
Snit wrote:

On 6/21/15, 2:27 PM, in article
, "Tomas"
wrote:

[deletia]

I do know that some major banks use linux to run their servers HSBC being
one of them. Productive enough for you.

if you knew any thing. What you put in is what you get out.
With windows you pay cash. with linux you pay time. No

No, not really. That's an outdated bit of snark that wasn't even true when
it was first stated even.

WinDOS is simply a mess. It's alway has been. It's always lagged behind on
usability features and always managed to mess them up somehow. Then there are
the robustness issues. Microsoft pretty much innovated the email virus. They
are notorious to clinging onto poor engineering decisions that come back to
bite everyone in the butt repeatedly.

DOS is what you use when you think you need to use what everyone else does.

It's actual "qualities" have always been quite irrelevant.

--
If some college kid can replicate your "invention" without seeing |||
any of the details of your patent then you have been granted a patent / | \
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

Jason C. McDonald wrote:

So, why do I advocate Linux? Because it is right for SOME PEOPLE,

Yes. Thick-headed trolls like "Flatfish"/Tomas pretend to think that
the desktop OS market is some magical exception to the rule - a market
where people don't want/need choice.

The dominance of Windows "proves" it, you know. (rolling eyes)

--
"How does the GPL protect YOUR freedom by insisting that people who
use your work pass it on?" - "Hadron", getting it all wrong, as he

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

Ignoramus11174 wrote:

For regular people, desktop Linux is too complicated.

Only because it doesn't come pre-installed. Other than that, there
are distros which are more simple than Windows.

--
"I doubt a day goes by where Linus doesn't regret giving his OS away
for free." - "Flatfish"
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

"Tomas" wrote in message ...

[...]

I don't even know what that is, little feller.
^@^

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/22/2015 07:17 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:

I then got inspired to watch an early Johnny Depp movie "Ed Wood"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109707/

Really liked that one

What makes them so campy and funny is the "attempt" at drama and seriousness. I love the old Japanese monster movies and old SciFi movies because they really make me laugh. Of course, in all the SciFi TV shows, the outer space aliens speak English with a Canadian accent. For some reason, the engine rooms of all the space cruisers look just like chilled water plants or steam plants for skyscrapers and large institutions. I could swear I saw the names Trane and Carrier on some of the warp drives which looked just like centrifugal compressors in a chilled water plant. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Alien Monster

In the movie "Plan 9" the flying saucers were hubcaps from a '59 Cadillac.

There was a Star Trek movie where in the control room, the wall was
entirely 5.25" floppy drives mounted vertically.

In those old Flash Gordon movies,the intercom system was dial phones.

If a movie is done poorly I can always get a good laugh.

One thing I will not go to though is a well done horror movie.

I saw the movie "Alien" and it totally scare the **** out of me!
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

Snit wrote in
news

Curious what it is about KDE that you liked. I have used it
some, and show examples in my videos below, and thought it
was an utter disaster.

NOT trying to talk you out of it... not at all - just
curious what you like about it.

I personally prefer(ed) KDE to the others because KDE looks much more "polished", and
finished than the other DEs (at the time v4.x came out).

V3.x was a resource pig, and worked like sh*t on several computers I tried, and I stuck
with GNOME, but v4.x of KDE seemd to have solved those really bad performance
problems.

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 22/06/2015 13:50, chrisv wrote:
Ignoramus11174 wrote:

For regular people, desktop Linux is too complicated.

Only because it doesn't come pre-installed. Other than that, there
are distros which are more simple than Windows.

And when major retailers tried to sell workstations with Linux
pre-installed (More than once) they failed to shift and just gathered
dust or got returned.

Sorry the old pre-installed argument just doesn't wash, it's been tried.

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 6/22/15, 7:21 AM, in article
1, "DanS"
wrote:

Snit wrote in
news

Curious what it is about KDE that you liked. I have used it some, and show
examples in my videos below, and thought it was an utter disaster.

NOT trying to talk you out of it... not at all - just curious what you like
about it.

I personally prefer(ed) KDE to the others because KDE looks much more
"polished", and finished than the other DEs (at the time v4.x came out).

Really? In what way? It has more features - most of the others are rather
stark - but the word "polished" would never come to mind for me.

V3.x was a resource pig, and worked like sh*t on several computers I tried,
and I stuck with GNOME, but v4.x of KDE seemd to have solved those really bad
performance problems.

--
* Mint MATE Trash, Panel, Menu: http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE
* Mint KDE bugs or Easter eggs? http://youtu.be/CU-whJQvtfA

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 6/22/15, 5:41 AM, in article net,

On 2015-06-22, Darklight wrote:
Snit wrote:

On 6/21/15, 2:27 PM, in article
, "Tomas"
wrote:

[deletia]

I do know that some major banks use linux to run their servers HSBC being one
of them. Productive enough for you.

if you knew any thing. What you put in is what you get out. With windows you
pay cash. with linux you pay time. No

No, not really. That's an outdated bit of snark that wasn't even true when it
was first stated even.

WinDOS is simply a mess. It's alway has been. It's always lagged behind on
usability features and always managed to mess them up somehow.

What features do you mean? It does not handle drag and drop as well as OS X
and, as I show in my Word Processor Comparison video, there are times even
Linux handles it better... but what did you have in mind?

* OS / Word Processor Comparison: http://youtu.be/w6Qcl-w7s5c

Then there are the robustness issues. Microsoft pretty much innovated the
email virus. They are notorious to clinging onto poor engineering decisions
that come back to bite everyone in the butt repeatedly.

Windows and Android: bringing malware to the masses. Fair enough.

DOS is what you use when you think you need to use what everyone else does.

It's actual "qualities" have always been quite irrelevant.

--
* Mint MATE Trash, Panel, Menu: http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE
* Mint KDE bugs or Easter eggs? http://youtu.be/CU-whJQvtfA
* Mint KDE working with folders: http://youtu.be/7C9nvniOoE0
* Mint KDE creating files: http://youtu.be/N7-fZJaJUv8
* Mint KDE help: http://youtu.be/3ikizUd3sa8
* Mint KDE general navigation: http://youtu.be/t9y14yZtQuI
* Easy on OS X / Hard on Linux: http://youtu.be/D3BPWANQoIk
* OS / Word Processor Comparison: http://youtu.be/w6Qcl-w7s5c

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

Default Any Decent Screencasting Software For Linux?

On 2015-06-22, wrote:
On Sunday, June 21, 2015 at 5:27:37 PM UTC-4, Tomas wrote:
[...]

Does anyone know if there exists some decent screencasting software for Linux?

Try these
http://www.linuxlinks.com/article/20...encasting.html
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 2015-06-22, Darklight wrote:
Snit wrote:

On 6/21/15, 2:27 PM, in article
, "Tomas"
wrote:

[deletia]

I do know that some major banks use linux to run their servers HSBC being
one of them. Productive enough for you.

if you knew any thing. What you put in is what you get out.
With windows you pay cash. with linux you pay time. No

No, not really. That's an outdated bit of snark that wasn't even true when
it was first stated even.

WinDOS is simply a mess. It's alway has been. It's always lagged behind on
usability features and always managed to mess them up somehow. Then there are

Yup such a mess and so lagging behind it's been the number one choice
for desktop computing for years :-)

the robustness issues. Microsoft pretty much innovated the email virus. They

What robustness issues? When was the last time you saw an ATM not
working? When was the last time your bank clerk couldn't work becasue
their Windows PC was down?

Let's not forget that the basic email system infrastructure that we all
use is a text based system designed to run on *nix systems from day one.
I'm sure there are better ways of doing it if we started again today but
it is what it is and Microsoft's input into the design has been minimal
to say the least. Once the mail has arrived at an Exchange system then
the transmission process between client and server is far more robust
and flexible than any of the POP/IMAP options and far more secure.

are notorious to clinging onto poor engineering decisions that come back to
bite everyone in the butt repeatedly.

Name one?

DOS is what you use when you think you need to use what everyone else does.

It's actual "qualities" have always been quite irrelevant.

Is this a post from the past? DOS hasn't existed in any form for many years.
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 6/22/15, 1:18 AM, in article ,
"Desk Rabbit" wrote:

"The truth is that, at first, it will be hard, and you will encounter
many issues. Prepare to search the Internet for many tutorials, join
forums of the Linux distribution you're migrating to and ask
questions on how to do various things. My suggestion is to install
Linux on a different computer, or use a dual-boot setup - though many
will encounter issues with that - and access it from time to time,
1-2 hours per day, and after a few months, you will know if you can
really make the switch."

I've always said that if your time is worthless then Linux Desktop is a
good cheap alternative for Windows.

Even something as simple as adding an image to a word processing document
and resizing / rotating / moving it to where you want.

Why is something so basic a complete pain in the arse with Linux?

* OS / Word Processor Comparison: http://youtu.be/w6Qcl-w7s5c

--
* Mint MATE Trash, Panel, Menu: http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE
* Mint KDE bugs or Easter eggs? http://youtu.be/CU-whJQvtfA
* Mint KDE working with folders: http://youtu.be/7C9nvniOoE0
* Mint KDE creating files: http://youtu.be/N7-fZJaJUv8
* Mint KDE help: http://youtu.be/3ikizUd3sa8
* Mint KDE general navigation: http://youtu.be/t9y14yZtQuI
* Easy on OS X / Hard on Linux: http://youtu.be/D3BPWANQoIk
* OS / Word Processor Comparison: http://youtu.be/w6Qcl-w7s5c

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 2015-06-22, Darklight wrote:
Snit wrote:

On 6/21/15, 2:27 PM, in article
, "Tomas"
wrote:

[deletia]

I do know that some major banks use linux to run their servers HSBC being
one of them. Productive enough for you.

if you knew any thing. What you put in is what you get out.
With windows you pay cash. with linux you pay time. No

No, not really. That's an outdated bit of snark that wasn't even true when
it was first stated even.

WinDOS is simply a mess. It's alway has been. It's always lagged behind on
usability features and always managed to mess them up somehow. Then there are

Yup such a mess and so lagging behind it's been the number one choice
for desktop computing for years :-)

the robustness issues. Microsoft pretty much innovated the email virus. They

What robustness issues? When was the last time you saw an ATM not
working? When was the last time your bank clerk couldn't work becasue
their Windows PC was down?

ATMs are robust?

--
Caver1

It makes sense, when you don't think about it.

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

Kent Dorfman wrote:
On 2015-06-22, wrote:
[...]

There's a list here too.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/4428/...e-a-screencast

But this is not an easy topic. If you're picky, you
can always find something wrong with the programs.
For example, the ones that do heavy compression,
the captured image might look "too soft". The ones
that do no compression, the data rate is too high.
Or the lip sync is broken. Or there's no sound.
Or if you make an AVI file, if the file is bigger
than 4GB, it gets corrupted (only FFMPEG works right).

Paul
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 6/22/15, 9:26 AM, in article , "Paul"
wrote:

Try these
http://www.linuxlinks.com/article/20...encasting.html

There's a list here too.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/4428/...e-a-screencast

But this is not an easy topic. If you're picky, you can always find something
wrong with the programs. For example, the ones that do heavy compression, the
captured image might look "too soft". The ones that do no compression, the
data rate is too high. Or the lip sync is broken. Or there's no sound. Or if
you make an AVI file, if the file is bigger than 4GB, it gets corrupted (only
FFMPEG works right).

I would love to see greater capabilities than currently exist on Linux:
things like being able to, in post production:

* Hide or show the mouse / keystrokes
* Show clicks with inversion or other visual aids
* Resize the mouse pointer and even replace it with a different image
* Be able to snap the canvas size to a window
* Be able to blur out sensitive data

These are things I do on a regular basis and I have found no solution for
them on Linux.

--
* Mint MATE Trash, Panel, Menu: http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE
* Mint KDE bugs or Easter eggs? http://youtu.be/CU-whJQvtfA
* Mint KDE working with folders: http://youtu.be/7C9nvniOoE0
* Mint KDE creating files: http://youtu.be/N7-fZJaJUv8
* Mint KDE help: http://youtu.be/3ikizUd3sa8
* Mint KDE general navigation: http://youtu.be/t9y14yZtQuI
* Easy on OS X / Hard on Linux: http://youtu.be/D3BPWANQoIk
* OS / Word Processor Comparison: http://youtu.be/w6Qcl-w7s5c

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 2015-06-22, Darklight wrote:
Snit wrote:

On 6/21/15, 2:27 PM, in article
, "Tomas"
wrote:

[deletia]

[...]

Nah:
https://www.google.com/search?q=ATM+bsod&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa =X&ei=MECIVeSDL8GrogTEz4CQBg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1 572&bih=914

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
Larry Niven, Steven Barnes
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

Caver1 wrote:

Desk Retard wrote:

What robustness issues? When was the last time you saw an ATM not
working? When was the last time your bank clerk couldn't work becasue
their Windows PC was down?

ATMs are robust?

I've certianly seen Windows on ATM's crashed. Also airport check-in
terminals, and other such devices, too.

--
"So what is this monopoly of which you speak?" - "True Linux
advocate" Hadron Quark

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 2015-06-21 10:24 PM, Snit wrote:
On 6/21/15, 6:57 PM, in article , "Slimer"
wrote:

When I got it I rapidly found out it didn't appear as a mass storage
device like my other MP3 players, so I had to install iTunes on a
Windows laptop. What a joy that was to use that completely unintuitive
pile of dung.

Yeah, iTunes is pretty crappy. It'll get the job done if you stick with it,
and don't mind accidentally wiping out all your tunes now and then.

iTunes sucks. Big time.
Load the plugin for foobar2000 and never look back.
If you want extensive tagging get Media Monkey.
Anything but iTunes.

MediaMonkey is *THE* best music management program I've ever used.

In what way? Would love to see an example of some of the things it does.

Rips into FLAC, WMA, WMA Lossless, WMA Pro, MP3 and OGG at the highest
bitrates supporting by the format. Allows you to set the album art to
file of any music file and even several different versions of that art,
allows you to edit every tag the file supports, rips CDs securely which
means that even a disc in bad condition will work, converts audio files
from any format to another, syncs to any device, etc..

--
Slimer
Proud "wintroll"
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

Default Thunderbird and "Usenet.BlueWorldHosting.COM".

On 2015-06-21 11:00 PM, Jeff-Relf.Me wrote:
P.S. In Thunderbird, select the message
of the person you want to kill file.

Go to "Message", "Create Filter From Message"
and choose "Delete Message" (the default).

P.P.S. Your server, "Eternal-September.ORG"
censors my (HTML) posts.

Please, if you want to converse with me,
sign up with this server:

Usenet.BlueWorldHosting.COM
nntpSwitch.BlueWorldHosting.COM:119

Unlike Pan, Mozilla Thunderbird knows HTML.

Instead of adapting to _you_, how about you try adapting to everyone
else? USENET has typically never been an HTML place and that's how most
people like it. The focus is therefore on the content.

--
Slimer
Proud "wintroll"
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

Jeff-Relf.Me wrote:
P.S. In Thunderbird, select the message
of the person you want to kill file.

Go to "Message", "Create Filter From Message"
and choose "Delete Message" (the default).

P.P.S. Your server, "Eternal-September.ORG"
censors my (HTML) posts.

Please, if you want to converse with me,
sign up with this server:

Usenet.BlueWorldHosting.COM
nntpSwitch.BlueWorldHosting.COM:119

Unlike Pan, Mozilla Thunderbird knows HTML.

Unlike Pan, Thunderbird consists of

1) Mostly Firefox files. It's a browser that's
being abused to build an email tool. If you
download the tarball, there is even a build
option to have it built as "browser". Presumably,
that's part of their testing process (early
Firefox source importation).

2) The amount of code to do email is consequently,
not a significant part of the design.

3) The USENET code is actually imported from
Netscape Communicator. The routine names in
the source, begin with "ns_". So the code was
not written from scratch.

The reason the tool "knows HTML", is it's
a freakin browser underneath. Most of the
code is a browser.

It was never "purpose built" with "high ideals".

It's like a browser plus some scripts.

If you've ever used Thunderbird, and
the GUI disappears, the entire window turns yellow,
and some black text error message appears saying
"XML parsing error", that's when you learn
what you're really playing with. The GUI can disappear,
because it's not really GUI code.

I wouldn't use Thunderbird as an example of
anything, really. It's a testament to perseverance.
As every time they import the Firefox source, and
make their next version of Thunderbird, most of
their time would be spent getting the details right
on "what broke this time". There wouldn't really
be time to write more or better email code.
Or be in a rush to fix the bugs in the Netscape
Communicator USENET code (crossposting bug).

Paul
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

wrote:

When I got it I rapidly found out it didn't appear as a mass storage
device like my other MP3 players, so I had to install iTunes on a
Windows laptop. What a joy that was to use that completely unintuitive
pile of dung.

Yeah, iTunes is pretty crappy. It'll get the job done if you stick with
it,
and don't mind accidentally wiping out all your tunes now and then.

iTunes sucks. Big time.
Load the plugin for foobar2000 and never look back.
If you want extensive tagging get Media Monkey.
Anything but iTunes.

MediaMonkey is *THE* best music management program I've ever used.

In what way? Would love to see an example of some of the things it does.

Rips into FLAC, WMA, WMA Lossless, WMA Pro, MP3 and OGG at the highest
bitrates supporting by the format.

If the goal is just to be able to play the music not sure this is going to
be a big advantage for most... but for the cases where you need it, yes,
that is cool. I have other tools to do audio conversion, but iTunes does
not.

Allows you to set the album art to file of any music file and even several
different versions of that art, allows you to edit every tag the file
supports, rips CDs securely which means that even a disc in bad condition will
work, converts audio files from any format to another, syncs to any device,
etc..

iTunes handles album art fairly well, and where it does not there are third
party tools. It does not handle meta-data particularly well, and it does not
handle syncing to anything other than iDevices.

In other words: yes, I can see where those are advantages.

How about lyrics? Are those built in? I *wish* they were to iTunes but they
are not.

--
* Mint MATE Trash, Panel, Menu: http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE
* Mint KDE bugs or Easter eggs? http://youtu.be/CU-whJQvtfA
* Mint KDE working with folders: http://youtu.be/7C9nvniOoE0
* Mint KDE creating files: http://youtu.be/N7-fZJaJUv8
* Mint KDE help: http://youtu.be/3ikizUd3sa8
* Mint KDE general navigation: http://youtu.be/t9y14yZtQuI
* Easy on OS X / Hard on Linux: http://youtu.be/D3BPWANQoIk
* OS / Word Processor Comparison: http://youtu.be/w6Qcl-w7s5c

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I wanted the media player to rip CDs as well as play the music because I
want it to be immediately put into my library after being ripped. I
forgot to mention that MediaMonkey allows you to rip to a certain dB
level (to make sure that all of your music is at the same volume) and
allows you to level any MP3s you've purchased to match that level...
permanently.

Allows you to set the album art to file of any music file and even several
different versions of that art, allows you to edit every tag the file
supports, rips CDs securely which means that even a disc in bad condition will
work, converts audio files from any format to another, syncs to any device,
etc..

iTunes handles album art fairly well, and where it does not there are third
party tools. It does not handle meta-data particularly well, and it does not
handle syncing to anything other than iDevices.

In other words: yes, I can see where those are advantages.

How about lyrics? Are those built in? I *wish* they were to iTunes but they
are not.

MediaMonkey allows you to download the song's lyrics to the song
metadata once you put in the song information.

--
Slimer
Proud "wintroll"

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

Paul wrote:

*plonk*

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 6/22/15, 11:08 AM, in article , "Slimer"

[...]

iTunes as loudness control but I do not think it saves it to the file -
though it will save it to CD. Oh, and frankly it does not work well. Do not
have much else to compare it to, but I would not be surprised to find others
doing it better.

Allows you to set the album art to file of any music file and even several
different versions of that art, allows you to edit every tag the file
supports, rips CDs securely which means that even a disc in bad condition
will work, converts audio files from any format to another, syncs to any
device, etc..

iTunes handles album art fairly well, and where it does not there are third
party tools. It does not handle meta-data particularly well, and it does not
handle syncing to anything other than iDevices.

In other words: yes, I can see where those are advantages.

How about lyrics? Are those built in? I *wish* they were to iTunes but they
are not.

MediaMonkey allows you to download the song's lyrics to the song
metadata once you put in the song information.

I have lyrics on my ancient iDevice... they show there. But not on the Mac.
To me that is just baffling.

Also: iTunes is not just about tunes... it also handles movies (well, um,
OK, I suppose) and is the tool to control your iPhone or iPod. Why? Seems
that should be a separate tool - it is not just like it is for syncing music
it also handles everything from music to video to even applications! But
then it does *not* handle images - for that you have to go to Photos (or
iPhoto if you have not updated). Even worse, while you can sync movies to
the iDevice with iTunes, to get videos *off* the iDevice you have to also
use Photos. Just bizarre and unintuitive.

So iTunes handles the "tunes" part OK (not great, but passable) but then
Apple has a bunch of other things added (and even then in an arbitrary way).
Really it has become quite a mess.

I would love to see Apple dump iTunes and move to "Tunes", "Photos", and
"Portable Device Manager", with the last getting a better name.

--
* Mint MATE Trash, Panel, Menu: http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE
* Mint KDE bugs or Easter eggs? http://youtu.be/CU-whJQvtfA
* Mint KDE working with folders: http://youtu.be/7C9nvniOoE0
* Mint KDE creating files: http://youtu.be/N7-fZJaJUv8
* Mint KDE help: http://youtu.be/3ikizUd3sa8
* Mint KDE general navigation: http://youtu.be/t9y14yZtQuI
* Easy on OS X / Hard on Linux: http://youtu.be/D3BPWANQoIk
* OS / Word Processor Comparison: http://youtu.be/w6Qcl-w7s5c

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 6/22/15, 10:31 AM, in article , "Slimer"

On 2015-06-21 11:00 PM, Jeff-Relf.Me wrote:
P.S. In Thunderbird, select the message
of the person you want to kill file.

Go to "Message", "Create Filter From Message"
and choose "Delete Message" (the default).

P.P.S. Your server, "Eternal-September.ORG"
censors my (HTML) posts.

Please, if you want to converse with me,
sign up with this server:

Usenet.BlueWorldHosting.COM
nntpSwitch.BlueWorldHosting.COM:119

Unlike Pan, Mozilla Thunderbird knows HTML.

Instead of adapting to _you_, how about you try adapting to everyone
else? USENET has typically never been an HTML place and that's how most
people like it. The focus is therefore on the content.

There are times I think it would be nice to embed a YouTube video - or
other... but, really, links work fine. Keep Usenet as the Giver Of Data
(GOD) intended - text only. No HTML or XML or other "text-only" formats to
try to weasel out of this. Plaintext.

--
* Mint MATE Trash, Panel, Menu: http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE
* Mint KDE bugs or Easter eggs? http://youtu.be/CU-whJQvtfA
* Mint KDE working with folders: http://youtu.be/7C9nvniOoE0
* Mint KDE creating files: http://youtu.be/N7-fZJaJUv8
* Mint KDE help: http://youtu.be/3ikizUd3sa8
* Mint KDE general navigation: http://youtu.be/t9y14yZtQuI
* Easy on OS X / Hard on Linux: http://youtu.be/D3BPWANQoIk
* OS / Word Processor Comparison: http://youtu.be/w6Qcl-w7s5c

Posted to alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Jun 2015 07:18:04 -0400, Bud Frede
Gave us:

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno writes:

On Sun, 21 Jun 2015 18:36:09 -0400, "Mayayana"
Gave us:

So what has all this got to do with home repair?
Do you just post willy nilly when something
strikes your fancy? Or are Linux fans perhaps
against houses?

The windows TROLL posted it, IDIOT. Use your brain. We merely
responded, you perhaps senseless ****.

DLUNU, you need to stop being so quick on the trigger. (That's what she
said...) Couldn't you have just replied that it was a troll that
crossposted this thread and that it wasn't a Linux user?

She never said that about me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/22/2015 10:00 AM, philo wrote:
[...]

I saw the Star Trek exhibit at the Smithsonian Air and Space museum many
years ago.

What was most impressive was how crumby the props appeared.

Clothing that looked like it was made out of burlap and a communicator
that looked like a slab of wood with buttons glued to it come to mind.

Original Star Trek was a low budget show and without HD TV at the time
they could get away with this.

Regarding Linux, my old Vista OS computer got infected and I took it to
my son who could not recover it except to put in Linux. My son had
hooked up to the internet with Ethernet but when I brought it home
neither of us could get it connected to my wifi.

Rather jump through hoops with an aging computer with Linux, I just
bought a new one with Win 8. MS, who we all hate, is now on the path of
Apple and Android and giving out free OS upgrades.

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

Kent Dorfman wrote:
On 2015-06-22,
wrote:
[...]

This works great:

https://github.com/jp9000/obs-studio

(Multiplatform obs)

However, it is in beta (or perhaps one might call it "early access"),
though there is an Ubuntu PPA for it.

https://obsproject.com/forum/threads...uctions.16495/

--
-v

By long-standing tradition, I take this opportunity to savage other
designers in the thin disguise of good, clean fun.
-- P. J. Plauger, "Computer Language", 1988, April
Fool's column.

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 6/22/15, 2:42 PM, in article
m, "vallor"

On 2015-06-22,

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Is-It...As-Your-Main-C
[...]

https://obsproject.com/forum/threads...a-installation
-instructions.16495/

I think it matters a lot by what you are looking for in screencasting
software. Do you mean screen recording or more?

--
* Mint MATE Trash, Panel, Menu: http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE
* Mint KDE bugs or Easter eggs? http://youtu.be/CU-whJQvtfA
* Mint KDE working with folders: http://youtu.be/7C9nvniOoE0
* Mint KDE creating files: http://youtu.be/N7-fZJaJUv8
* Mint KDE help: http://youtu.be/3ikizUd3sa8
* Mint KDE general navigation: http://youtu.be/t9y14yZtQuI
* Easy on OS X / Hard on Linux: http://youtu.be/D3BPWANQoIk
* OS / Word Processor Comparison: http://youtu.be/w6Qcl-w7s5c

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2015-06-21 11:00 PM, Jeff-Relf.Me wrote:
[...]

I think that Jeff Relf is probably the only person here clamouring for
USENET servers and its readers to support HTML. Even on web-based forums
where HTML is now common, enabling it was opening oneself up to all
sorts of security problems.

--
Slimer
Proud "wintroll"
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2015-06-21 11:00 PM, Jeff-Relf.Me wrote:
[...]

He is simply out of touch.

--
* Mint MATE Trash, Panel, Menu: http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE
* Mint KDE bugs or Easter eggs? http://youtu.be/CU-whJQvtfA
* Mint KDE working with folders: http://youtu.be/7C9nvniOoE0
* Mint KDE creating files: http://youtu.be/N7-fZJaJUv8
* Mint KDE help: http://youtu.be/3ikizUd3sa8
* Mint KDE general navigation: http://youtu.be/t9y14yZtQuI
* Easy on OS X / Hard on Linux: http://youtu.be/D3BPWANQoIk
* OS / Word Processor Comparison: http://youtu.be/w6Qcl-w7s5c

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 22, 2015 at 3:09:43 PM UTC-5, Frank wrote:
[...]

There are actually a lot of hidden sight gags from the old and newer Star Trek TV series. I recall reading that a lot of the ornate plaques seen on the walls of the starships had really weird crap printed on them because the camera never focused on them. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Weird Monster