Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A Perfect Case For NOT Using Linux.

On Monday, June 22, 2015 at 3:09:43 PM UTC-5, Frank wrote:
On 6/22/2015 10:00 AM, philo wrote:
On 06/22/2015 07:17 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:

I then got inspired to watch an early Johnny Depp movie "Ed Wood"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109707/

Really liked that one

What makes them so campy and funny is the "attempt" at drama and
seriousness. I love the old Japanese monster movies and old SciFi
movies because they really make me laugh. Of course, in all the SciFi
TV shows, the outer space aliens speak English with a Canadian accent.
For some reason, the engine rooms of all the space cruisers look just
like chilled water plants or steam plants for skyscrapers and large
institutions. I could swear I saw the names Trane and Carrier on some
of the warp drives which looked just like centrifugal compressors in a
chilled water plant. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Alien Monster

In the movie "Plan 9" the flying saucers were hubcaps from a '59 Cadillac.

There was a Star Trek movie where in the control room, the wall was
entirely 5.25" floppy drives mounted vertically.

In those old Flash Gordon movies,the intercom system was dial phones.

If a movie is done poorly I can always get a good laugh.

One thing I will not go to though is a well done horror movie.

I saw the movie "Alien" and it totally scare the **** out of me!

I saw the Star Trek exhibit at the Smithsonian Air and Space museum many
years ago.

What was most impressive was how crumby the props appeared.

Clothing that looked like it was made out of burlap and a communicator
that looked like a slab of wood with buttons glued to it come to mind.

Original Star Trek was a low budget show and without HD TV at the time
they could get away with this.

Regarding Linux, my old Vista OS computer got infected and I took it to
my son who could not recover it except to put in Linux. My son had
hooked up to the internet with Ethernet but when I brought it home
neither of us could get it connected to my wifi.

Rather jump through hoops with an aging computer with Linux, I just
bought a new one with Win 8. MS, who we all hate, is now on the path of
Apple and Android and giving out free OS upgrades.

There are actually a lot of hidden sight gags from the old and newer Star Trek TV series. I recall reading that a lot of the ornate plaques seen on the walls of the starships had really weird crap printed on them because the camera never focused on them. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Weird Monster