Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A Perfect Case For NOT Using Linux.

On 06/22/2015 03:09 PM, Frank wrote:

Regarding Linux, my old Vista OS computer got infected and I took it to
my son who could not recover it except to put in Linux. My son had
hooked up to the internet with Ethernet but when I brought it home
neither of us could get it connected to my wifi.

Rather jump through hoops with an aging computer with Linux, I just
bought a new one with Win 8. MS, who we all hate, is now on the path of
Apple and Android and giving out free OS upgrades.

I've setup a light version of Ubuntu (Kubuntu) on some older laptops
and the wireless card was picked up with no problem...

anyway,if your old machine had Vista on it...it probably was time for an
all new machine
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

In article , Peter ?B?S8O2aGxtYW5u?= wrote:
Jason C. McDonald wrote:

So, why do I advocate Linux? Because it is right for SOME PEOPLE, and I
believe in showing everyone what Linux honestly is capable of. People
are able to make up their own minds, without us trying to convince them
of the evils of the opposition.

So, while all of that is true, you still have talked to flatfish Gary
Stewart, one of the vilest trolls ever on usenet. "Tomas" is just one of his
several hundreds of nyms
And he absolutely certain does not intend to "discuss linux". He is a
windows troll who hates linux. Bin that ****head

Thanks for the info as to who. The trolling was obvious.

By their posts shall ye know them !

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/22/2015 6:41 PM, philo wrote:
On 06/22/2015 03:09 PM, Frank wrote:

Regarding Linux, my old Vista OS computer got infected and I took it to
my son who could not recover it except to put in Linux. My son had
hooked up to the internet with Ethernet but when I brought it home
neither of us could get it connected to my wifi.

Rather jump through hoops with an aging computer with Linux, I just
bought a new one with Win 8. MS, who we all hate, is now on the path of
Apple and Android and giving out free OS upgrades.

I've setup a light version of Ubuntu (Kubuntu) on some older laptops
and the wireless card was picked up with no problem...

anyway,if your old machine had Vista on it...it probably was time for an
all new machine

Machine was 6 years old but maxed out at 3 GB memory. Something got
into it and bogged it down to unusable. I used wife's laptop as a
back-up for a couple of months but it was getting annoying having
business to do and limping with the computers.

Son is a data base manager for a bank and all he uses is Linux.
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

Snit wrote in
news
On 6/22/15, 7:21 AM, in article
1, "DanS"
wrote:

Snit wrote in
news

Curious what it is about KDE that you liked. I have used
it some, and show examples in my videos below, and
thought it was an utter disaster.

NOT trying to talk you out of it... not at all - just
curious what you like about it.

I personally prefer(ed) KDE to the others because KDE
looks much more "polished", and finished than the other
DEs (at the time v4.x came out).

Really? In what way? It has more features - most of the
others are rather stark - but the word "polished" would
never come to mind for me.

The default window manager, kwin I think, renders the windows and decorations very
nicely. I'm not one for using all kinds of effects on the windows, but for some stupid
reason, the wobbly windows was the only one I left on. The windows moved smoothly,
and there didn't seem to be any noticable delay with the system responding to mouse
motions and clicks (but this applies mainly to v3.x of KDE only really, where I saw
delays like that.)

The desktop icons seemed nicer and more appealing asthetically, compared to other
DEs, as well as the taskbar and clock and notification areas.

I'm not too big a fan of the start menu with grouped applications, so I use the classic
cascading menu. By default, with the "desktop" set to represent whatever that window
represents rather than showing contents of a folder is odd, but nothing that can't be
changed.

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 6/22/15, 5:18 PM, in article
1, "DanS"
wrote:

Snit wrote in
news
On 6/22/15, 7:21 AM, in article
1, "DanS"
wrote:

[...]

I am not into that but you can use Compiz with Gnome and other DEs as well.

There are some places where I think the window effects make sense... showing
where windows minimize to or close to (and the opposite) offers usability
benefits. But if you like the wobbly windows so be it.

The desktop icons seemed nicer and more appealing asthetically, compared to
other DEs, as well as the taskbar and clock and notification areas.

Fair enough.

I'm not too big a fan of the start menu with grouped applications, so I use
the classic cascading menu. By default, with the "desktop" set to represent
whatever that window represents rather than showing contents of a folder is
odd, but nothing that can't be changed.

Curious if you have watched any of my KDE videos in my .sig and, if so, what
your thoughts are (SPOILER: the "bugs or Easter eggs" video is a joke...
posted it on April 1st one year).

I do not hide my view of its lack of quality... but to each their own.
Certainly not trying to suggest you are wrong to like what you like.

--
* Mint MATE Trash, Panel, Menu: http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE
* Mint KDE working with folders: http://youtu.be/7C9nvniOoE0

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 2015-06-22, rbowman wrote:
On 06/21/2015 07:10 PM, Ignoramus11174 wrote:
Android is also Linux, and is used by most people in the world who
have a computing device. In the sense of what is in the hands of most
people, Linux won via Android.

More correctly, Android uses a subset of the Linux kernel. As Stallman
is quick to point out 'Linux' is really GNU/Linux since unless you're a
kernel programmer Linux itself is not very interesting.

It is more than just the kernel. Android has a lot of Linux
facilities, bash, and so on. I would leave the argument over "Gnu vs
Linux" to someone else, even though I am a Stallman admirer.

Most people, nowadays, have a Linux computer, be it a satellite TV
receiver, Android phone, home router, home video camera, and so on.

Unfortunately, Linux desktop is of poor quality and cannot be used by
low IQ users due to difficult to resolve problems. But Linux as a
automation and server platform is great and works very well.

Because I am personally smart enough, I can resolve these problems and
use Linux desktop efficiently.

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 2015-06-22, rbowman wrote:
On 06/21/2015 08:06 PM, Ignoramus11174 wrote:
Unlike Windows, Android cannot install any program from just anywhere,
they have to come from the store. This does greatly curtail malware.

Not so. You can sideload any apk your heart desires as well as rooting
the device. The Apple products are locked down much more tightly.

It requires extra additional actions.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/22/2015 02:09 PM, Frank wrote:
Rather jump through hoops with an aging computer with Linux, I just
bought a new one with Win 8. MS, who we all hate, is now on the path of
Apple and Android and giving out free OS upgrades.

Self preservation. After the dismal statistics for Windows 8 they're
trying to guarantee a user base. No users, no developers, no compelling
software, no users and around and around we go. Between 8 and Windows
Phone they need a winner.
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 06/22/2015 09:01 AM, Desk Rabbit wrote:
Yup such a mess and so lagging behind it's been the number one choice
for desktop computing for years :-)

The mantra used to be 'nobody ever got fired for selecting IBM.' During
IBM's clumsy attempt at marketing PCs, by extension buying an IBM PC was
a safe bet. As the years rolled on, Windows achieved the same
non-controversial, safe status.

As for the non-commercial users, generic boxes with Windows installed
were a lot cheaper that Apples and came with enough simple software that
not much thought was required. Microsoft Bob did prove it's possible to
underestimate the great unwashed as did Clippy. Most people didn't seem
to mind the dog.

What robustness issues? When was the last time you saw an ATM not
working? When was the last time your bank clerk couldn't work becasue
their Windows PC was down?

Do you really want to ask that question? I get a kick out of when the
supermarket POS terminal crashes and XP reboots. My dentist uses digital
xrays and at least when that reboots it's 7.
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 06/22/2015 09:12 AM, Snit wrote:
Even something as simple as adding an image to a word processing document
and resizing / rotating / moving it to where you want.

Why is something so basic a complete pain in the arse with Linux?

For me it doesn't matter if I'm using genuine Microsoft Word,
LibreOffice, OpenOffice, or any other word processor; it turns into a
disaster very rapidly, particularly if I'm trying to edit someone else's
creation. I get into bullet point hell, the font goes to 30 point
Cyrillic in fuschia, and anything I try to insert is upside down,
backwards, and in the wrong place.

So, I basically consider anything other than programming text editors to
be a pain in the ass.

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 06/22/2015 12:28 PM, Snit wrote:
I would love to see Apple dump iTunes and move to "Tunes", "Photos", and
"Portable Device Manager", with the last getting a better name.

I only have that iPod Shuffle I was gifted with but I'm really fond of
'mass storage device'. Plug it in, show me the file structure, and I'll
figure out what to do with it.
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 06/22/2015 08:57 PM, Ignoramus8881 wrote:
It is more than just the kernel. Android has a lot of Linux
facilities, bash, and so on. I would leave the argument over "Gnu vs
Linux" to someone else, even though I am a Stallman admirer.

Wash your mouth out with soap. bash is a GNU shell:

https://www.gnu.org/software/bash/

Actually, I preferred tcsh but the world and dog went to bash except for
FreeBSD.

I'm roughly the same age as RMS and just as stubborn so if you put us in
a small room the fur would fly. (I've got as much fur as he has, too).
Software want's to be free not in the chains of GPLv3.
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 6/22/15, 8:39 PM, in article , "rbowman"
wrote:

On 06/22/2015 09:12 AM, Snit wrote:
Even something as simple as adding an image to a word processing document
and resizing / rotating / moving it to where you want.

Why is something so basic a complete pain in the arse with Linux?

For me it doesn't matter if I'm using genuine Microsoft Word,
LibreOffice, OpenOffice, or any other word processor; it turns into a
disaster very rapidly, particularly if I'm trying to edit someone else's
creation. I get into bullet point hell, the font goes to 30 point
Cyrillic in fuschia, and anything I try to insert is upside down,
backwards, and in the wrong place.

Even with MS Word there is a learning curve. I think the easiest to use is
Pages (also shown in my video), but it is also quite limited compared to MS
Word (and even LibreOffice in many areas). What it does it tends to do well,
but it is not designed to be as "full featured". Oh, and it has some quirky
bugs... for example, when you set it to page width and then change the width
of your window (or even show/hide the side bar) it does not alter the width
so you have to reset it again. WHY? Even the web version of it works for
that.

So, I basically consider anything other than programming text editors to
be a pain in the ass.

Sincere offer: if you run into such challenges I am happy to do what I can
to help. Contact me here or via email.

--
* Mint MATE Trash, Panel, Menu: http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE
* Mint KDE working with folders: http://youtu.be/7C9nvniOoE0
* Mint KDE creating files: http://youtu.be/N7-fZJaJUv8
* Mint KDE help: http://youtu.be/3ikizUd3sa8
* Mint KDE general navigation: http://youtu.be/t9y14yZtQuI
* Mint KDE bugs or Easter eggs? http://youtu.be/CU-whJQvtfA
* Easy on OS X / Hard on Linux: http://youtu.be/D3BPWANQoIk
* OS / Word Processor Comparison: http://youtu.be/w6Qcl-w7s5c

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 06/22/2015 10:15 PM, Snit wrote:
Sincere offer: if you run into such challenges I am happy to do what I can
to help. Contact me here or via email.

Thanks, but I've made it this far without learning to use a word
processor... My first acquaintance was with Wordstar that came bundled
with an Osborne I in 1981. It also came with Supercalc, a rudimentary
spreadsheet. I never learned to use one of those either.

Fortunately, I've got documentation people to clean up the messes I make.

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 06/22/2015 10:16 PM, Snit wrote:
I have an ancient iPod Touch... I can see why one might want to use it like
that, but I also have "Thumb drives" for that.

I don't want to use it for storage, just to look like a mass storage
device. If I want to load mp3's onto my Zen Nano or Sansa Clip, I just
plug it into the USB port and copy files. If I want to load maps or gpx
files onto my Garmin eTrex20 or Nuvi, same deal. Stuff I've converted to
MOBI in Calibre to load onto my Kindle, apk's onto the tablet and so
forth and so on. They're all just file systems and files.
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 06/22/2015 10:20 PM, Snit wrote:
I think the GPL is great... but many of Stallman's views repulse me. Here
are just some of his comments on sexuality and children:

I never got into that part of his universe, just his legalism with the
GPL. I prefer the various MIT licenses, Larry Wall's Artistic License,
or van Rossum's PSF license. Or better yet, Don Libes Public Domain for
Expect. Years ago I found an obscure bug in the Expect signal handling
and reported it to Don who incorporated the fix in the next release.
I was using Expect in a proprietary application which was permissible
and yet could feed fixes back to the code base. The obscurities of the
GPL can scare people from using it if they are developing proprietary
software.

Qt had the same problem. It is a very nice widget set but the Trolls
managed to make the licensing obscure enough to scare off anyone
contemplating a commercial project. otoh, wxWidgets is L-GPL with the
exception that if you're just distributing binaries you can use it in
proprietary applications. Or you can go GPL if you really want to.

Essentially Stallman is a fundamentalist and it's his way or the
highway. All I can say is thank the Gods we're not waiting for the
GNU/Hurd kernel.
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 6/22/15, 10:42 PM, in article , "rbowman"
wrote:

On 06/22/2015 10:20 PM, Snit wrote:
I think the GPL is great... but many of Stallman's views repulse me. Here
are just some of his comments on sexuality and children:

I never got into that part of his universe, just his legalism with the
GPL.

I think the GPL is a great. As a choice.

When he starts pushing it as the only choice (or set of choices) one should
be able to make I split ways with him on that. For someone who says he is so
supportive of choice he really is quite against it.

I prefer the various MIT licenses, Larry Wall's Artistic License,
or van Rossum's PSF license. Or better yet, Don Libes Public Domain for
Expect. Years ago I found an obscure bug in the Expect signal handling
and reported it to Don who incorporated the fix in the next release.
I was using Expect in a proprietary application which was permissible
and yet could feed fixes back to the code base. The obscurities of the
GPL can scare people from using it if they are developing proprietary
software.

I do know know all of those licenses... but know there are licenses which
allow for greater freedom than the GPL.

Qt had the same problem. It is a very nice widget set but the Trolls
managed to make the licensing obscure enough to scare off anyone
contemplating a commercial project. otoh, wxWidgets is L-GPL with the
exception that if you're just distributing binaries you can use it in
proprietary applications. Or you can go GPL if you really want to.

Essentially Stallman is a fundamentalist and it's his way or the
highway. All I can say is thank the Gods we're not waiting for the
GNU/Hurd kernel.

Agreed.

--
* Mint MATE Trash, Panel, Menu: http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE
* Mint KDE working with folders: http://youtu.be/7C9nvniOoE0
* Mint KDE creating files: http://youtu.be/N7-fZJaJUv8
* Mint KDE help: http://youtu.be/3ikizUd3sa8
* Mint KDE general navigation: http://youtu.be/t9y14yZtQuI
* Mint KDE bugs or Easter eggs? http://youtu.be/CU-whJQvtfA
* Easy on OS X / Hard on Linux: http://youtu.be/D3BPWANQoIk
* OS / Word Processor Comparison: http://youtu.be/w6Qcl-w7s5c

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

rbowman wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

On 06/22/2015 09:01 AM, Desk Rabbit wrote:
Yup such a mess and so lagging behind it's been the number one choice
for desktop computing for years :-)

The mantra used to be 'nobody ever got fired for selecting IBM.' During
IBM's clumsy attempt at marketing PCs, by extension buying an IBM PC was
a safe bet. As the years rolled on, Windows achieved the same
non-controversial, safe status.

Which is weird, given the many issues that occur with Windows computers,
especially when you go beyond browsing and simple office work.

As for the non-commercial users, generic boxes with Windows installed
were a lot cheaper that Apples and came with enough simple software that
not much thought was required. Microsoft Bob did prove it's possible to
underestimate the great unwashed as did Clippy. Most people didn't seem
to mind the dog.

What robustness issues? When was the last time you saw an ATM not
working? When was the last time your bank clerk couldn't work becasue
their Windows PC was down?

Do you really want to ask that question? I get a kick out of when the
supermarket POS terminal crashes and XP reboots. My dentist uses digital
xrays and at least when that reboots it's 7.

--
Rule of the Great:
When people you greatly admire appear to be thinking deep
Posted to alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Jun 2015 21:20:35 -0700, Snit
Gave us:

As far as I can tell

If he made those statements, I find him offensive and ill educated, if
not a participant in what I feel is criminal behavior.

I also feel that this cross-posted invasion of our group should be
deemed criminal as well.
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 2015-06-22 11:34 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 06/22/2015 09:01 AM, Desk Rabbit wrote:
Yup such a mess and so lagging behind it's been the number one choice
for desktop computing for years :-)

The mantra used to be 'nobody ever got fired for selecting IBM.' During
IBM's clumsy attempt at marketing PCs, by extension buying an IBM PC was
a safe bet. As the years rolled on, Windows achieved the same
non-controversial, safe status.

As for the non-commercial users, generic boxes with Windows installed
were a lot cheaper that Apples and came with enough simple software that
not much thought was required. Microsoft Bob did prove it's possible to
underestimate the great unwashed as did Clippy. Most people didn't seem
to mind the dog.

When you refer to "the dog," I assume that you're referring to KDE or
Unity. You seem to have confused your "open-source" slopware with
Windows. It's not your fault, almost every one of your desktop
environments tries to look and act like Windows.

What robustness issues? When was the last time you saw an ATM not
working? When was the last time your bank clerk couldn't work becasue
their Windows PC was down?

Do you really want to ask that question? I get a kick out of when the
supermarket POS terminal crashes and XP reboots. My dentist uses digital
xrays and at least when that reboots it's 7.

My dentist uses Windows XP as well. It never crashed and rebooted on her.

--
Slimer
Proud "wintroll"
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 2015-06-22 11:39 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 06/22/2015 09:12 AM, Snit wrote:
Even something as simple as adding an image to a word processing document
and resizing / rotating / moving it to where you want.

Why is something so basic a complete pain in the arse with Linux?

For me it doesn't matter if I'm using genuine Microsoft Word,
LibreOffice, OpenOffice, or any other word processor; it turns into a
disaster very rapidly, particularly if I'm trying to edit someone else's
creation. I get into bullet point hell, the font goes to 30 point
Cyrillic in fuschia, and anything I try to insert is upside down,
backwards, and in the wrong place.

So, I basically consider anything other than programming text editors to
be a pain in the ass.

I actually don't disagree with you here. The formatting Hell is common
to every word processor on the market.

--
Slimer
Proud "wintroll"
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 06/23/2015 03:54 AM, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
Which is weird, given the many issues that occur with Windows computers,
especially when you go beyond browsing and simple office work.

Our products run on Windows. It's a complex suite of applications with a
lot of moving parts. Are there bugs? You bet! Are there many strange,
unreproducible events caused by the underlying OS? You bet! Can our
clients tell the difference? Hell, no.

Originally we ran under AIX on RS/6000 servers and workstations but IBM
priced themselves out of that niche.

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 06/23/2015 07:17 AM, Slimer wrote:
When you refer to "the dog," I assume that you're referring to KDE or
Unity. You seem to have confused your "open-source" slopware with
Windows. It's not your fault, almost every one of your desktop
environments tries to look and act like Windows.

The little yellow dog that wags his tail while searching for files.
slowly. 'locate' is a lot faster.

My dentist uses Windows XP as well. It never crashed and rebooted on her.

Never? Having worked in the industry for about 40 years I
unconditionally state that you're full of ****. Go slime someplace where
your audience is more naive.

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 2015-06-23 9:50 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 06/23/2015 07:17 AM, Slimer wrote:
When you refer to "the dog," I assume that you're referring to KDE or
Unity. You seem to have confused your "open-source" slopware with
Windows. It's not your fault, almost every one of your desktop
environments tries to look and act like Windows.

The little yellow dog that wags his tail while searching for files.
slowly. 'locate' is a lot faster.

I'm sure grandma won't mind opening up a CLI and doing one of the following:

locate [-qi] [-d ] [--database=]

locate [-i] [-r ] [--regexp=]

locate [-qv] [-o ] [--output=]

locate [-e ] [-f ] [-l ] [-c] [-U ] [-u]

locate [-Vh] [--version] [--help]

But it will find what grandma is looking for a few seconds faster so
it's TOTALLY WORTH IT!

My dentist uses Windows XP as well. It never crashed and rebooted on her.

Never? Having worked in the industry for about 40 years I
unconditionally state that you're full of ****. Go slime someplace where
your audience is more naive.

My dentist knows that I know tech and would have mentioned it to me if
there was a problem. In the years I've gone there, not _once_ has the
woman mentioned a single technological problem using Windows. The only
naive people are the idiots who actually believe the crap you're
spouting about Windows' instability. Those of us who've used both
operating systems know very well that Windows is a _LOT_ more stable
than the vomitware you guys support.

--
Slimer
Proud "wintroll"
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

"Slimer" wrote in message ...
On 2015-06-23 9:50 AM, rbowman wrote:
[...]

I have no experience with Linux, but surely every windows version I have
ever seen has been unstable. Not to mention bloatware.

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

taxed and spent wrote:

--
Slimer
Proud "wintroll"
Encrypt.

I have no experience with Linux, but surely every windows version I have
ever seen has been unstable. Not to mention bloatware.

Surely you guys recognize a liar and worthless troll, when you see
one?

I suggest plonking it. It's self-nuking and needs no rebuttal.

--
"I wonder if the Fellowship of Liars ever gets tired of the smell of
garbage in the computer room. It's bad enough that their computer was
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 2015-06-23 10:16 AM, taxed and spent wrote:
"Slimer" wrote in message ...
On 2015-06-23 9:50 AM, rbowman wrote:
[...]

It's funny that you should mention that as this Windows 8.1 installation
has been absolutely magnificent for me on this laptop as well as on the
desktop I gave to my cousin.

As for bloatwa if it's slow, how about you simply don't install it.

--
Slimer
Proud "wintroll"

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 06/23/2015 10:16 AM, taxed and spent wrote:
"Slimer" wrote in message ...
On 2015-06-23 9:50 AM, rbowman wrote:
[...]

Notice his byline-Proud "wintroll"
He knows next to nothing about Linux.

--
Caver1
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Jun 2015 23:20:59 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 06/22/2015 10:16 PM, Snit wrote:
I have an ancient iPod Touch... I can see why one might want to use it like
that, but I also have "Thumb drives" for that.

I don't want to use it for storage, just to look like a mass storage
device. If I want to load mp3's onto my Zen Nano or Sansa Clip, I just
plug it into the USB port and copy files. If I want to load maps or gpx
files onto my Garmin eTrex20 or Nuvi, same deal. Stuff I've converted to
MOBI in Calibre to load onto my Kindle, apk's onto the tablet and so
forth and so on. They're all just file systems and files.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everything_is_a_file
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

"Slimer" wrote in message
On 2015-06-23 9:50 AM, rbowman wrote:
[...]

When was that? Back in 1998?

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

"Slimer" wrote in message
On 2015-06-23 9:50 AM, rbowman wrote:
[...]

You're right. I know the major players, every distribution under the
sun, the philosophy behind the system as well as most of the software in
the ecosystem.

Did it ever occur to you that I might want to _forget_ what I know
because I am disgusted by your vomitware of an "operating system?"

--
Slimer
Proud "wintroll"
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

[...]

Yes. At one point I did replace kwin with Compiz, but then switched is back for some
reason that escapes me now.

There are some places where I think the window effects make
sense... showing where windows minimize to or close to (and
the opposite) offers usability benefits. But if you like
the wobbly windows so be it.

I don't know why that is the only one I use.

The desktop icons seemed nicer and more appealing
asthetically, compared to other DEs, as well as the
taskbar and clock and notification areas.

Fair enough.

I'm not too big a fan of the start menu with grouped
applications, so I use the classic cascading menu. By
default, with the "desktop" set to represent whatever that
window represents rather than showing contents of a folder
is odd, but nothing that can't be changed.

Curious if you have watched any of my KDE videos in my .sig
and, if so, what your thoughts are (SPOILER: the "bugs or
Easter eggs" video is a joke... posted it on April 1st one
year).

I have not until just now. I typically see the -- space c/r delimiter, and then I see
nothing below that, never even notice sigs unless it's some big ASCII art thing.

I do not hide my view of its lack of quality... but to each
their own.

I had not seen, or noticed any these issues. What you were documenting seem to be
very specific bugs, that most likely require pretty exact steps to reproduce. Minor
irritants that I, or others, may never see using their (our) computers as they (we) do.

Certainly not trying to suggest you are wrong to
like what you like.

....when using Linux, it is the KDE desktop that I prefer. Of all the Linux DEs I tried, KDE
seemed the most apealing to me.

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 06/23/2015 07:26 AM, chrisv wrote:
taxed and spent wrote:

--
Slimer
Proud "wintroll"
Encrypt.

I have no experience with Linux, but surely every windows version I have
ever seen has been unstable. Not to mention bloatware.

Surely you guys recognize a liar and worthless troll, when you see
one?

I suggest plonking it. It's self-nuking and needs no rebuttal.

He even admits to being a troll in his sig. Not worth the time to spit.

--
-v

"The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up!"

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 2015-06-23 3:15 PM, DanS wrote:

[...]

Because unlike Compiz, KWin is actually somewhat stable. Compiz is the
source of innumerable troubles in Linux.

--
Slimer
Proud "wintroll"
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 06/23/2015 08:36 AM, Caver1 wrote:
Notice his byline-Proud "wintroll"
He knows next to nothing about Linux.

He obviously doesn't know much about Windows either. I will admit the
BSOD is more subtle these days; the system just becomes unstable.
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

Jason C. McDonald wrote:

So, why do I advocate Linux? Because it is right for SOME PEOPLE, and I
believe in showing everyone what Linux honestly is capable of. People
are able to make up their own minds, without us trying to convince them
of the evils of the opposition.

So, while all of that is true, you still have talked to flatfish Gary
Stewart, one of the vilest trolls ever on usenet. "Tomas" is just one of his
several hundreds of nyms
And he absolutely certain does not intend to "discuss linux". He is a
windows troll who hates linux. Bin that ****head

Thanks for the info as to who. The trolling was obvious.

By their posts shall ye know them !

Do keep filtering and blinkering, eventually you'll all end up just
talking to people who agree with you and will learn nothing and have a
nicely closed mind.
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 2015-06-21 6:41 PM, Jason C. McDonald wrote:
On 06/21/2015 03:32 PM, Peter Köhlmann wrote:
Jason C. McDonald wrote:

So, why do I advocate Linux? Because it is right for SOME PEOPLE, and I
believe in showing everyone what Linux honestly is capable of. People
are able to make up their own minds, without us trying to convince them
of the evils of the opposition.

So, while all of that is true, you still have talked to flatfish Gary
Stewart, one of the vilest trolls ever on usenet. "Tomas" is just one
of his
several hundreds of nyms
And he absolutely certain does not intend to "discuss linux". He is a
windows troll who hates linux. Bin that ****head

Heh, I'm actually installing Pan with the specific purpose of plonking
this guy. (I'm on Tbird, and just realized that it doesn't have ea
killfile.)

Thunderbird DOES have a killfile. Tools - Message Filters.

snip

Tough to KF a nym shifter, e.g. Mightywantabe who nym shifts every post.