Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

Default A Perfect Case For NOT Using Linux.

Desk Rabbit wrote:

On 23/06/2015 00:09, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
In article , Peter ?B?S8O2aGxtYW5u?=
wrote:
Jason C. McDonald wrote:

So, why do I advocate Linux? Because it is right for SOME PEOPLE, and I
believe in showing everyone what Linux honestly is capable of. People
are able to make up their own minds, without us trying to convince them
of the evils of the opposition.

So, while all of that is true, you still have talked to flatfish Gary
Stewart, one of the vilest trolls ever on usenet. "Tomas" is just one of
his several hundreds of nyms
And he absolutely certain does not intend to "discuss linux". He is a
windows troll who hates linux. Bin that ****head

Thanks for the info as to who. The trolling was obvious.

By their posts shall ye know them !

Do keep filtering and blinkering, eventually you'll all end up just
talking to people who agree with you and will learn nothing and have a
nicely closed mind.

You are truly an idiot

I disagree with most linux advocates on several topics. Will I killfile any
of them because of that? Naturally not

Killfiles are for the terminally stupid, the vilest filthy scum, the
dishonest cretins like Snit Glasser. You fit just nicely several of the
criteria
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 06/24/2015 06:34 AM, Desk Rabbit wrote:
Do keep filtering and blinkering, eventually you'll all end up just
talking to people who agree with you and will learn nothing and have a
nicely closed mind.

When it comes to trolls like Slimer I don't have a problem closing him
out of my mind. Nothing to learn there, folks, just move along.
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

wrote:
Jason C. McDonald wrote:

[...]

Insults. Attacks.

No comments about Linux.

The "advocates" fear speaking of Linux.

--
* Mint MATE Trash, Panel, Menu: http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE
* Mint KDE working with folders: http://youtu.be/7C9nvniOoE0

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 2015-06-23 11:30 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 06/23/2015 08:36 AM, Caver1 wrote:
Notice his byline-Proud "wintroll"
He knows next to nothing about Linux.

He obviously doesn't know much about Windows either. I will admit the
BSOD is more subtle these days; the system just becomes unstable.

No it doesn't. I've used Windows on a ****ty Athlon, a Core i3, a Core
i5 and the current Core i7. On NONE of the machines did I suffer from
any kind of instability. The system is simply stable and performs well,
regardless of how much tap-dancing you Linux liars do. When I *did* have
a blue screen, it was the result of faulty RAM. I had one on my current
laptop, but it was the result of third-party software provided by the
manufacturer which was intended to throttle the network connection (for
whatever reason). Remove the software and your system is as stable as it
can be.

Neither one of the problems was caused by Windows. The operating system
did a fantastic job AND allowed me to use all of my hardware.

Meanwhile, from 2007 to 2014, my Linux installations went through a
number of issues. Screen tearing, graphical glitches, inability to shut
down, won't wake from sleep, missing dependencies, programs close for no
reason, programs freeze the whole system, updates bring me to the CLI
upon bootup rather than the desktop because they broke something, etc,
etc..

Face it, your "operating system" is a piece of **** programmed by bums
for bums. No self-respecting user can or should use it.

--
Slimer
Proud "wintroll"
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 2015-06-21 6:41 PM, Jason C. McDonald wrote:
On 06/21/2015 03:32 PM, Peter Köhlmann wrote:
Jason C. McDonald wrote:

So, why do I advocate Linux? Because it is right for SOME PEOPLE,
and I
believe in showing everyone what Linux honestly is capable of. People
are able to make up their own minds, without us trying to convince
them
of the evils of the opposition.

So, while all of that is true, you still have talked to flatfish Gary
Stewart, one of the vilest trolls ever on usenet. "Tomas" is just one
of his
several hundreds of nyms
And he absolutely certain does not intend to "discuss linux". He is a
windows troll who hates linux. Bin that ****head

Heh, I'm actually installing Pan with the specific purpose of plonking
this guy. (I'm on Tbird, and just realized that it doesn't have ea
killfile.)

Thunderbird DOES have a killfile. Tools - Message Filters.

snip

Tough to KF a nym shifter, e.g. Mightywantabe who nym shifts every post.

I make it easy. I changed my e-mail address to reflect the e-mail
address I was using, but constantly had "Slimer" in my name. If anyone
doesn't like me or whatever I have to say, just filter "Slimer" and I'll
become invisible.

--
Slimer
Proud "wintroll"

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 06/24/2015 09:36 AM, Slimer wrote:
Face it, your "operating system" is a piece of **** programmed by bums
for bums. No self-respecting user can or should use it.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microso...or-protection/

A little dated, but what the hell...

And more current

http://www.tecmint.com/big-companies...g-on-gnulinux/

If you don't like interacting with Linux just put that mouse down and
back away from the computer slowly.

bye bye, troll.
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

wrote:
Jason C. McDonald wrote:

[...]

Nice comprehension failure - again.
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

rbowman wrote:

Slime wrote:

Face it, your "operating system" is a piece of **** programmed by bums
for bums. No self-respecting user can or should use it.

This is an example of the "mild criticism" that liars like "Slimer"
claim that Linux advocates cannot tolerate.

After such shameless lying they will then vehemently object to being
called a "liar", and claim that no one can quote them lying. It's the
advocates who lie and who are unfair, you see.

Sheesh.

If you don't like interacting with Linux just put that mouse down and
back away from the computer slowly.

bye bye, troll.

--
"If we're even mildly critical of GNU/Linux, we're liars and trolls."
- "Slimer", lying shamelessly
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 2015-06-24 11:21 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 06/24/2015 09:36 AM, Slimer wrote:
Face it, your "operating system" is a piece of **** programmed by bums
for bums. No self-respecting user can or should use it.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microso...or-protection/

A little dated, but what the hell...

2003 is more than a little dated.

And more current

http://www.tecmint.com/big-companies...g-on-gnulinux/

If you don't like interacting with Linux just put that mouse down and
back away from the computer slowly.

So because some of the least ethical companies like Google and Amazon
use Linux I am supposed to be impressed?

bye bye, troll.

Bye bye, loser.

--
Slimer
Proud "wintroll"
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

wrote:
Jason C. McDonald wrote:

[...]

Peter *tries* to hide his humiliation and ignorance behind insults.

And fails.

--
* Mint MATE Trash, Panel, Menu: http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE
* Mint KDE working with folders: http://youtu.be/7C9nvniOoE0
* Mint KDE creating files: http://youtu.be/N7-fZJaJUv8
* Mint KDE help: http://youtu.be/3ikizUd3sa8
* Mint KDE general navigation: http://youtu.be/t9y14yZtQuI
* Mint KDE bugs or Easter eggs? http://youtu.be/CU-whJQvtfA
* Easy on OS X / Hard on Linux: http://youtu.be/D3BPWANQoIk
* OS / Word Processor Comparison: http://youtu.be/w6Qcl-w7s5c

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 25/06/2015 16:43, Snit wrote:

wrote:
Jason C. McDonald wrote:

[...]

The more he gets cornered, the more he shouts abuse. It's quite funny
when all he has to do is actually show some knowledge or provide some
proof yet somehow his effort goes into coming up with more insults.
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 6/25/15, 9:14 AM, in article ,
"Desk Rabbit" wrote:

You are truly an idiot

I disagree with most linux advocates on several topics. Will I killfile any
of them because of that? Naturally not

Killfiles are for the terminally stupid, the vilest filthy scum, the
dishonest cretins like Snit Glasser. You fit just nicely several of the
criteria

Nice comprehension failure - again.

Peter *tries* to hide his humiliation and ignorance behind insults.

And fails.

The more he gets cornered, the more he shouts abuse. It's quite funny
when all he has to do is actually show some knowledge or provide some
proof yet somehow his effort goes into coming up with more insults.

He has tried that in the past. I started to keep quotes and message IDs and
links. He backed off when he realized how easy it is to show him being wrong
on pretty much every topic... now he does not even try.

--
* Mint MATE Trash, Panel, Menu: http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE
* Mint KDE working with folders: http://youtu.be/7C9nvniOoE0
* Mint KDE creating files: http://youtu.be/N7-fZJaJUv8
* Mint KDE help: http://youtu.be/3ikizUd3sa8
* Mint KDE general navigation: http://youtu.be/t9y14yZtQuI
* Mint KDE bugs or Easter eggs? http://youtu.be/CU-whJQvtfA
* Easy on OS X / Hard on Linux: http://youtu.be/D3BPWANQoIk
* OS / Word Processor Comparison: http://youtu.be/w6Qcl-w7s5c

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Jun 2015 21:19:15 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

[...]
Just remember, if someone starts talking crazy, bin them. No use
arguing with or teaching a k00k.

Gonna have to save this .

That said, some of the guys here jump on the crazy train, even though
they're typically good posters ... OR maybe that's just a side effect of
beer with usenet.
Posted to alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Jun 2015 00:16:13 +0000 (UTC), Dan Purgert
Gave us:

On Sun, 21 Jun 2015 21:19:15 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

[...]
Just remember, if someone starts talking crazy, bin them. No use
arguing with or teaching a k00k.

Gonna have to save this .

That said, some of the guys here jump on the crazy train, even though
they're typically good posters ... OR maybe that's just a side effect of
beer with usenet.

You must have had a few yourself. Usenet is capitalized, AND folks
who respond to trolls usually start out actually attempting to instruct
them, and to make known to others who might read the thread, as to what
the facts are.

As much as those who say "don't feed the trolls" think they are right,
most are duty bound, as it were, to address the bull**** with a few
facts of refutation (yes, I know it isn't technically a word).

That said, I feel it is a GODDAMNED SHAME WE CAN'T HUNT THE *******S
DOWN AND PUMMELL THEM.

Now you know why the "authorities" can't put in place the resources to
track down or hunt the real internet criminals like the Chinese hack
****tards or the ISIS 'recruiter' assholes.

Myself... I like the Russian umbrella with a radioactive pill in the
end 'solution'. These ****s deserve a painful death.
Posted to alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 21:19:43 -0400, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno wrote:

On Fri, 26 Jun 2015 00:16:13 +0000 (UTC), Dan Purgert
Gave us:

On Sun, 21 Jun 2015 21:19:15 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

[...]
Just remember, if someone starts talking crazy, bin them. No use
arguing with or teaching a k00k.

Gonna have to save this .

That said, some of the guys here jump on the crazy train, even though
they're typically good posters ... OR maybe that's just a side effect of
beer with usenet.

You must have had a few yourself. Usenet is capitalized [...]

(mock surprise) Why yes! How could you tell?

That said, I'm still very much a newbie to this, still trying to pick it
up as I go ...

Posted to alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Jun 2015 16:43:26 +0000 (UTC), Dan Purgert
Gave us:

On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 21:19:43 -0400, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno wrote:

On Fri, 26 Jun 2015 00:16:13 +0000 (UTC), Dan Purgert
Gave us:

On Sun, 21 Jun 2015 21:19:15 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

[...]
Just remember, if someone starts talking crazy, bin them. No use
arguing with or teaching a k00k.

Gonna have to save this .

That said, some of the guys here jump on the crazy train, even though
they're typically good posters ... OR maybe that's just a side effect of
beer with usenet.

You must have had a few yourself. Usenet is capitalized [...]

(mock surprise) Why yes! How could you tell?

That said, I'm still very much a newbie to this, still trying to pick it
up as I go ...

My moniker in Miniclip's "8Ball Pool" is "An Ale-ion". I am presently
at level 130 (King).

When I win, I can just picture the opponent telling his friend (or
wife, etc.) "I just got my ass kicked by An Ale-ion."
Posted to alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 2015-06-26, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno, published this proof of the Infinite Monkey Theorem:

Poke

--
™– ™˜ ™— ™• ™” ™— ™˜ ™–
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

wrote:
Jason C. McDonald wrote:
So, why do I advocate Linux? Because it is right for SOME PEOPLE, and I
believe in showing everyone what Linux honestly is capable of. People
are able to make up their own minds, without us trying to convince them
of the evils of the opposition.
So, while all of that is true, you still have talked to flatfish Gary
Stewart, one of the vilest trolls ever on usenet. "Tomas" is just one of his
several hundreds of nyms
And he absolutely certain does not intend to "discuss linux". He is a
windows troll who hates linux. Bin that ****head

Thanks for the info as to who. The trolling was obvious.

By their posts shall ye know them !

Do keep filtering and blinkering, eventually you'll all end up just
talking to people who agree with you and will learn nothing and have a
nicely closed mind.

While there is some truth to this, in newsgroups, filtering the obvious trolls
and loonies simply increases the signal to noise ratio.

Rather like street preachers and others of their ilk, they may well have a
right to free speech - but that don't mean I gotta listen. As in the real
world, a quick smile, a brief shake of the head and moving on improves my
life.

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

wrote:
Jason C. McDonald wrote:
[...]

I filtered all of the Linux "advocates." I used to believe the same as
Desk Rabbit and thought that filtering them would close my mind and
prevent me from learning things. However, these imbeciles never say a
thing that is worth reading. I am essentially not missing a single piece
of information in blocking them.

However, I welcome the alt.os.linux.ubuntu crossposters. They have
proven that some Linux users indeed have brains.

--
Slimer
Proud "wintroll"
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 06/28/2015 06:50 PM, Slimer wrote:
I filtered all of the Linux "advocates." I used to believe the same as
Desk Rabbit and thought that filtering them would close my mind and
prevent me from learning things. However, these imbeciles never say a
thing that is worth reading. I am essentially not missing a single piece
of information in blocking them

http://blogs.technet.com/b/windowsse...ves-linux.aspx

Here's another Linux advocate for you -- some guy by the name of Nadella.

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 2015-06-28 8:59 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 06/28/2015 06:50 PM, Slimer wrote:
I filtered all of the Linux "advocates." I used to believe the same as
Desk Rabbit and thought that filtering them would close my mind and
prevent me from learning things. However, these imbeciles never say a
thing that is worth reading. I am essentially not missing a single piece
of information in blocking them

http://blogs.technet.com/b/windowsse...ves-linux.aspx

Here's another Linux advocate for you -- some guy by the name of Nadella.

As far as I know, Nadella hasn't:

- advocated voluntary pedophilia (like Wretched Stallman)
- offered to wipe someone's dick (like Chris "Ass Storm" Ahlstrom)
- changed his gender (like Rex Ballard did to become Debbie Ballard)
- cleaned toilets for a living (like "Wideload Porkster" William Poaster)
- found himself unable to utter a sentence without using curse words
(like chrisv)
- lied profusely and supported his lies with fabricated evidence based
on erroneous interpretation of articles (like "Doctor" Roy Schestowitz)
- believed that Windows is still running atop DOS (like "JEDIDUMBASS"
JEDIDIAH)

.... am I missing anyone amongst our very prestigious group?

--
Slimer
Proud "wintroll"
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 21/06/15 23:25, Jason C. McDonald wrote:
On 06/21/2015 02:59 PM, Tomas wrote:
On Sun, 21 Jun 2015 14:48:24 -0700, Jason C. McDonald wrote:

On 06/21/2015 02:27 PM, Tomas wrote:
A couple of hours a day and after a few months?
Is he ****ing kidding?
Most people don't last a day with Linux after trying it.
Linux is that bad.

It really depends on the distro and the person.

Ok.
But that's part of the problem. So many different Linux distributions
when the facts prove that most people choose from the top 5 or so
anyway.
Wouldn't it make sense to focus and apply the resources to those top
distributions?

No, it doesn't. Windows has some problems because they try to be
everything to everyone at all times. Various Linuxes are for specific
purposes and goals. Ubuntu didn't used to be the top - it used to be an
unknown while Red Hat led the pack. Now Ubuntu is one of the top, but
who knows if one of those quiet leaders might come to the front.

I played with Ubuntu
several years ago, and wound up switching to it full time because I
hated Windows.

Specifically why did you hate Windows.
Did you hate Microsoft?
Viruses?
Security?
Cost?
Poor UI?
?

Yes, yes, yes, yes, as well as the fact that Linux gives far more
control over the system to techs like me. As Eric Raymond says, you
cannot learn how to become a hacker (as in the programmer, not the
criminal) on a proprietary operating system.

That said, I install Linux for people who cannot figure
out Window - as in total computer illiterate. I always give them my card
and full permission to call me if they can't figure something out.

So if they can't figure out Windows, what makes Linux different
enough that they can figure out Linux?

Unity's interface works better for them. It's pretty straight forward
for your average computer use. You can find software and install it
quickly with Ubuntu Software Center, without worrying about price.
Settings are obvious, programs are easily within reach.

For some, Unity is a nightmare. They prefer Windows. Great, that works
for them. I am not one of those people. It's all personal preference,
psychology, and the unique way people are wired mentally. Humans are by
no means predictable. There is no "Universal Serial User".

So far, I've only ever had three calls, and they were always "Oh!
Nevermind, I figured it out myself" when I call back.

But they can't figure out Windows?
Doesn't make sense.
Linux is far more complex and far less supported.
For example, you have never had a call asking how to connect an iPod
to Linux, sync, tag etc like iTunes does?

I find that incredible.

For what they are doing, everything is right there. Music? RhythmBox or
Banshee. Their Android devices just plugged in and worked out of the
box. No driver installation weirdness. Printer? Settings, add printer,
there it is! Print. Web? There's Firefox! Email? There's Thunderbird.
Documents? LibreOffice, New Document. Where'd I put my Christmas
shopping list? Dash, "Christmas shopping", oh, there it is.

Also, without the learning curve of anti-virus, defrag, scan disk, etc,
etc, they were less confused.

Plus, askubuntu.com actually has a lot of tutorials that are easy to
follow for most things non-obvious.

It's different for everyone. Most of these people wind up telling me how
much they LOVE Ubuntu and can't imagine ever using Windows again. I've
even overheard them recommending it to other friends.

Specifics please.

Again, they personally found it easier to use. No viruses. Less
document-devouring crashes. Updates happen quietly and efficiently in
the background. Also, can't beat free.

Beyond that, see above.

But, again, that was specific to their way of thinking and what they
needed to do. I always talked to them and showed them Ubuntu on my
machine, and let them decide. (I have been fixing Windows machines as
well since I was 12 years old...and I'm talking manually removing viruses.)

No operating system is everything to everyone, nor ever will be. But for
me and many people, tech and total-non tech, Linux is a heckovalot
better than Windows for our use. (And, by the way, I do some pretty
heavy-duty production stuff on this tux box.)

I write code for a living. We deal with audio editing, video editing,
animation, repository management, vector graphics, webmastering, and
business administration stuff at my company. We also don't feel like
spending several thousand dollars to do what can be done for free at the
exact same quality level. Plus, we like the UI, UNIX Bash, and the
software that runs on Linux.

(Besides that, I used Visual Studio long enough to learn to hate it for
a plethora of technical and preferential reasons. Don't ask for
specifics, it's a personal decision I made, and I'm one of many coders
who have.)

All in all, it comes down to a personal decision. If you like Windows or
Mac, good for you. Enjoy it. I won't stop you. But, as the old Indian
saying goes, "You don't know a man until you've walked a mile in his
moccasins." You can only speak for your own experience, and for the
experiences others have shared with you. That's all I can do, too.

So, why do I advocate Linux? Because it is right for SOME PEOPLE, and I
believe in showing everyone what Linux honestly is capable of. People
are able to make up their own minds, without us trying to convince them
of the evils of the opposition.

Your final para is far to balanced and sensible Jason. ;-)

Your comment in your other post, re starting total computer newcomers on
Linux, is perfectly sensible. If someone is starting from scratch, they
should get along with something like Ubuntu or Mint just fine, unless
they want to do something complex before they learn the ropes or have
some obscure printer etc. to install. (Which isn't really a Linux issue,
it is down to a lack of vendor support.)

Those who are 'just users' moving from Windows or Mac and find things
aren't exactly the same can be a bit flummoxed but the same is true if
they move from Windows to Mac etc.

I prefer Linux mainly as I like to 'tinker', computers are a hobby and I
enjoy experimenting etc. I had to use Windows at work and used it at
home for convenience when doing work at home- it although I often also
used Linux and simply exported files in a suitable format when I could.
It depended on the application. Ditto for MacOS, although I'm a fan of
Apple products (sacrilege to some I know), especially the iPad,iPhone,
and iPod. I used to use the iPad in teaching, hence buying the Mac which
I came to love.

I still have an old Windows PC to support some legacy SW which doesn't
run on Linux (I don't like Wine), some of it is even DOS based. More
sacrilege in the eyes of some but that is their problem, not mine.
I use computers for my pleasure, not someone else's. After 35+ years
(longer if I include University and school) in working environments
where someone dictated IT policies, I'm not going to be told which OS I
can use by some wannabee geek regardless of what he is promoting.

I promote Linux to people I know, mainly fellow radio amateurs, and used
to encourage my pupils who were computer geeks to try it.
I'm not anti-MS or Apple nor do I promote them.

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

Brian Reay wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

On 21/06/15 23:25, Jason C. McDonald wrote:

(Besides that, I used Visual Studio long enough to learn to hate it for
a plethora of technical and preferential reasons. Don't ask for
specifics, it's a personal decision I made, and I'm one of many coders
who have.)

VS is a grotesque beast that gets ever more bloated and unstable with each
release.

I've had Visual Studio 2013 crash on me (reliably) when setting two
breakpoints that would get hit in different threads.

[...]

Good work, man.

Heh, he left out "Windows":

--
If the vendors started doing everything right, we would be out of a job.
Let's hear it for OSI and X! With those babies in the wings, we can count
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

Brian Reay wrote:

I still have an old Windows PC to support some legacy SW which doesn't
run on Linux (I don't like Wine), some of it is even DOS based. More
sacrilege in the eyes of some but that is their problem, not mine.
I use computers for my pleasure, not someone else's. After 35+ years
(longer if I include University and school) in working environments
where someone dictated IT policies, I'm not going to be told which OS I
can use by some wannabee geek regardless of what he is promoting.

I promote Linux to people I know, mainly fellow radio amateurs, and used
to encourage my pupils who were computer geeks to try it.
I'm not anti-MS or Apple nor do I promote them.

There's certainly nothing wrong with using whatever works best for
you, regardless if it's open- or closed-source. OSS is never going
to be the best choice in all situations.

FOSS does not need the charity of "zealots" to succeed. It only needs
something resembling a level playing-field in the market.

--
"(cola is) attacked because it's a cess pit of second hand news,
paranoia and anti-MS lunacy by a bunch of know nothing, contribute
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 6/30/15, 10:37 AM, in article ,
"chrisv" wrote:

Brian Reay wrote:

I still have an old Windows PC to support some legacy SW which doesn't
run on Linux (I don't like Wine), some of it is even DOS based. More
sacrilege in the eyes of some but that is their problem, not mine.
I use computers for my pleasure, not someone else's. After 35+ years
(longer if I include University and school) in working environments
where someone dictated IT policies, I'm not going to be told which OS I
can use by some wannabee geek regardless of what he is promoting.

I promote Linux to people I know, mainly fellow radio amateurs, and used
to encourage my pupils who were computer geeks to try it.
I'm not anti-MS or Apple nor do I promote them.

There's certainly nothing wrong with using whatever works best for
you, regardless if it's open- or closed-source. OSS is never going
to be the best choice in all situations.

Wow... you are sounding like me.

FOSS does not need the charity of "zealots" to succeed. It only needs
something resembling a level playing-field in the market.

Which it has. If the open source community would get its act together and
make a desktop product that competes well it would make a huge dent in the
market. The denial of the zealots works against this.

--
* Mint MATE Trash, Panel, Menu: http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE
* Mint KDE working with folders: http://youtu.be/7C9nvniOoE0
* Mint KDE creating files: http://youtu.be/N7-fZJaJUv8
* Mint KDE help: http://youtu.be/3ikizUd3sa8
* Mint KDE general navigation: http://youtu.be/t9y14yZtQuI
* Mint KDE bugs or Easter eggs? http://youtu.be/CU-whJQvtfA
* Easy on OS X / Hard on Linux: http://youtu.be/D3BPWANQoIk
* OS / Word Processor Comparison: http://youtu.be/w6Qcl-w7s5c

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Jun 2015 22:03:30 -0400, Tomas wrote:

On Sun, 21 Jun 2015 22:57:32 -0300, Shadow wrote:

On Sun, 21 Jun 2015 17:27:34 -0400, Tomas wrote:

This one is hilarious. It's on a Linux centric site, written by a
Linux zealot yet because he tells the truth about Linux, admirable,
it really turns into a "why on earth would I want to run Linux" post.
Only he doesn't get it.
Like I said, hilarious.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Is-It...m-484750.shtml
http://tinyurl.com/p5yn75s

This part is
hysterical!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

A couple of hours a day and after a few months?
Is he ****ing kidding?
Most people don't last a day with Linux after trying it.

Like Android, you mean. Right. Send me all the useless
smartphones. You can keep the useless owners.
[]'s

PS I don't use Android, too complicated trying to figure out
what the apps are transmitting behind my back. Prefer Debian.

Android is the biggest malware magnet on the planet.

That's a "feature", not a bug. It's how Google makes money
with it.

Also most people running Android have no idea they are running Linux.

So true.

[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 14:28:27 -0700, Snit wrote:

Which it has. If the open source community would get its act together and
make a desktop product that competes well it would make a huge dent in the
market. The denial of the zealots works against this.

I know it will do no good but I will say one more time, Linux
is not in the "market", it is FREE.

--
Wildman GNU/Linux user #557453
"You can't fix stupid."
Posted to alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 23:15:37 GMT, Wildman Gave us:

On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 14:28:27 -0700, Snit wrote:

Which it has. If the open source community would get its act together and
make a desktop product that competes well it would make a huge dent in the
market. The denial of the zealots works against this.

I know it will do no good but I will say one more time, Linux
is not in the "market", it is FREE.

--
Wildman GNU/Linux user #557453
"You can't fix stupid."
--Ron White

"Here's yer sign..."

Exactly. Good one.

I like the one where the cop shows up after a trucker gets his trailer
stuck under an overpass and asks "Did you get your truck stuck?"

The driver, without missin' a beat.... says "No, I was deliverin' this
here overpass and ran out of gas." Here's yer sign. Hehehehehe
So funny.
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 6/30/15, 4:15 PM, in article , "Wildman"
wrote:

On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 14:28:27 -0700, Snit wrote:

Which it has. If the open source community would get its act together and
make a desktop product that competes well it would make a huge dent in the
market. The denial of the zealots works against this.

I know it will do no good but I will say one more time, Linux
is not in the "market", it is FREE.

It is in the market - it comes on computers you can buy.

But even outside of that, without being pedantic, to say it is one of the
choices in the market is fine by me, even if it is a free choice you can
get.

--
* Mint MATE Trash, Panel, Menu: http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE
* Mint KDE working with folders: http://youtu.be/7C9nvniOoE0
* Mint KDE creating files: http://youtu.be/N7-fZJaJUv8
* Mint KDE help: http://youtu.be/3ikizUd3sa8
* Mint KDE general navigation: http://youtu.be/t9y14yZtQuI
* Mint KDE bugs or Easter eggs? http://youtu.be/CU-whJQvtfA
* Easy on OS X / Hard on Linux: http://youtu.be/D3BPWANQoIk
* OS / Word Processor Comparison: http://youtu.be/w6Qcl-w7s5c

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 14:28:27 -0700, Snit wrote:

Which it has. If the open source community would get its act together and
make a desktop product that competes well it would make a huge dent in the
market. The denial of the zealots works against this.

I know it will do no good but I will say one more time, Linux
is not in the "market", it is FREE.

It is in the market - it comes on computers you can buy.

Yes, I know. That makes up some of that 1.5% crap I am always
hearing about. Aside from pirating, 100% of Windows and OSx
that is out there was sold in the market in one way or another
and none of it was free. There is no rationale for saying that
Linux in the market.

But even outside of that, without being pedantic, to say it is one of the
choices in the market is fine by me, even if it is a free choice you can
get.

You need to look up the word market. You apparently have no
clue as to what it actually means.

--
Wildman GNU/Linux user #557453
Here's your sign. (L)

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 01 Jul 2015 02:45:18 GMT
Wildman wrote:

On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 19:09:55 -0700, Snit wrote:

On 6/30/15, 4:15 PM, in article ,
"Wildman" wrote:

On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 14:28:27 -0700, Snit wrote:

Which it has. If the open source community would get its act
together and make a desktop product that competes well it would
make a huge dent in the market. The denial of the zealots works
against this.

I know it will do no good but I will say one more time, Linux
is not in the "market", it is FREE.

It is in the market - it comes on computers you can buy.

Yes, I know. That makes up some of that 1.5% crap I am always
hearing about. Aside from pirating, 100% of Windows and OSx
that is out there was sold in the market in one way or another
and none of it was free. There is no rationale for saying that
Linux in the market.

OSX is now free but can't be installed on non Mac hardware. While we
are that I have downloaded different images in order to try it in
virtualbox and none worked. Seems that it is easier to install it on
bare metal (non Mac) then in VM....
While I have iMac in the office I just wanted to try it in VM, but alas
virtualbox support is very lousy.

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 6/30/15, 7:49 PM, in article 20150701044907.477722be@maxa-pc, "Melzzzzz"
wrote:

"Wildman" wrote:

On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 14:28:27 -0700, Snit wrote:

Which it has. If the open source community would get its act
together and make a desktop product that competes well it would
make a huge dent in the market. The denial of the zealots works
against this.

I know it will do no good but I will say one more time, Linux
is not in the "market", it is FREE.

It is in the market - it comes on computers you can buy.

Yes, I know. That makes up some of that 1.5% crap I am always
hearing about. Aside from pirating, 100% of Windows and OSx
that is out there was sold in the market in one way or another
and none of it was free. There is no rationale for saying that
Linux in the market.

OSX is now free but can't be installed on non Mac hardware.

Well, OS X *updates* are free. You cannot get OS X, though, outside of a
package deal where you get hardware and software - the full system.

While we are that I have downloaded different images in order to try it in
virtualbox and none worked. Seems that it is easier to install it on bare
metal (non Mac) then in VM....

OS X runs fine in Parallels on a Mac... so you can run older versions of OS
X.

While I have iMac in the office I just wanted to try it in VM, but alas
virtualbox support is very lousy.

From what I have seen and read, VirtualBox in general does not work as well
as Parallels and VMWare... but it is also free.

--
* Mint MATE Trash, Panel, Menu: http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE
* Mint KDE working with folders: http://youtu.be/7C9nvniOoE0
* Mint KDE creating files: http://youtu.be/N7-fZJaJUv8
* Mint KDE help: http://youtu.be/3ikizUd3sa8
* Mint KDE general navigation: http://youtu.be/t9y14yZtQuI
* Mint KDE bugs or Easter eggs? http://youtu.be/CU-whJQvtfA
* Easy on OS X / Hard on Linux: http://youtu.be/D3BPWANQoIk
* OS / Word Processor Comparison: http://youtu.be/w6Qcl-w7s5c

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 14:28:27 -0700, Snit wrote:

Which it has. If the open source community would get its act together and
make a desktop product that competes well it would make a huge dent in the
market. The denial of the zealots works against this.

I know it will do no good but I will say one more time, Linux
is not in the "market", it is FREE.

It is in the market - it comes on computers you can buy.

Yes, I know. That makes up some of that 1.5% crap I am always
hearing about. Aside from pirating, 100% of Windows and OSx
that is out there was sold in the market in one way or another
and none of it was free. There is no rationale for saying that
Linux in the market.

Depends on how you are defining the market. If you look up the phrase "open
source market" you will see many use it as I did: to mean how it does in the
"free market" - how many people use a product (or what percent).

But even outside of that, without being pedantic, to say it is one of the
choices in the market is fine by me, even if it is a free choice you can
get.

You need to look up the word market. You apparently have no
clue as to what it actually means.

You not only are pushing a semantic argument, and not one based on reasoning
or logic, you are doing so while apparently not knowing the actual meaning
of the word market as it was used:

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/market
-----
A demand for a particular commodity or service:
-----

http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/market
-----
demand for a particular product or commodity
-----

--
* Mint MATE Trash, Panel, Menu: http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE
* Mint KDE working with folders: http://youtu.be/7C9nvniOoE0
* Mint KDE creating files: http://youtu.be/N7-fZJaJUv8
* Mint KDE help: http://youtu.be/3ikizUd3sa8
* Mint KDE general navigation: http://youtu.be/t9y14yZtQuI
* Mint KDE bugs or Easter eggs? http://youtu.be/CU-whJQvtfA
* Easy on OS X / Hard on Linux: http://youtu.be/D3BPWANQoIk
* OS / Word Processor Comparison: http://youtu.be/w6Qcl-w7s5c

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

"Melzzzzz" wrote:

While I have iMac in the office I just wanted to try it in VM, but
alas virtualbox support is very lousy.

From what I have seen and read, VirtualBox in general does not work
as well as Parallels and VMWare... but it is also free.

Yeah, I think I have to use VMWare but alas don't wont to buy it just
to try OSX...

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

"Melzzzzz" wrote:

While I have iMac in the office I just wanted to try it in VM, but
alas virtualbox support is very lousy.

From what I have seen and read, VirtualBox in general does not work
as well as Parallels and VMWare... but it is also free.

Yeah, I think I have to use VMWare but alas don't wont to buy it just
to try OSX...

Use Virtual player instead. It is free.

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

Snit wrote:

On 6/30/15, 7:49 PM, in article 20150701044907.477722be@maxa-pc,
"Melzzzzz" wrote:

"Wildman" wrote:

[...]

From what I have seen and read, VirtualBox in general does not work as
well as Parallels and VMWare... but it is also free.

What you have seen and read is balderdash

Generally VirtualBox runs better than VMware and has more options. There is
currently only one area where VMware perfroms slightly better. The speed of
the virtual network is a little higher than that of VirtualBox.

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

Default Case For Using Linux

Wildman wrote:
On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 14:28:27 -0700, Snit wrote:

Which it has. If the open source community would get its act together and
make a desktop product that competes well it would make a huge dent in the
market. The denial of the zealots works against this.

I know it will do no good but I will say one more time, Linux
is not in the "market", it is FREE.

That doesn't mean it can't reduce sales of products in the market which are
not free.

I acquire/build machines without an OS and install Linux in the main. That
is a number of copies of MS Windows not sold.

Copies not sold, maybe, but what about license? Does the vendor still do
the volume deal in order to get "cheaper" Windows licenses?

Or is that "proprietary information", sealed under a "non-disclousre deal"?

--
A father doesn't destroy his children.
-- Lt. Carolyn Palamas, "Who Mourns for Adonais?",
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

Wildman wrote:

some thing wrote:

(lies snipped)

I know it will do no good

It will sure do you no good to deal with the "Snit" thing. *All* it
does is lie.

but I will say one more time, Linux is not in the "market", it is FREE.

The fact that it's free does not matter.

--
'You buy into the cult-like talk of Stallman and his dishonest use of
the word "Free".' - "Snit"
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 2015-07-01, Peter Köhlmann wrote:
Snit wrote:

On 6/30/15, 7:49 PM, in article 20150701044907.477722be@maxa-pc,
"Melzzzzz" wrote:

"Wildman" wrote:

On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 14:28:27 -0700, Snit wrote:

[deletia]

While we are that I have downloaded different images in order to try it
in virtualbox and none worked. Seems that it is easier to install it on
bare metal (non Mac) then in VM....

OS X runs fine in Parallels on a Mac... so you can run older versions of
OS X.

Yes. You can ONLY run MacOS on a Mac.

You can kind of hack your way around that with a custom hardware build
but it's even more bothersome than trying to build a Linux box in the early
90s.

While I have iMac in the office I just wanted to try it in VM, but alas
virtualbox support is very lousy.

From what I have seen and read, VirtualBox in general does not work as
well as Parallels and VMWare... but it is also free.

What you have seen and read is balderdash

Generally VirtualBox runs better than VMware and has more options. There is
currently only one area where VMware perfroms slightly better. The speed of
the virtual network is a little higher than that of VirtualBox.

That's not been my experience. Although VirtualBox is more than adequate
for "light duty" work. Admittedly my experience may be soured by the whatever
Ubuntu has done with their build of Virtualbox.

On the other hand, I don't see this being at all an issue for pedestrian
Apple users. It's likely that their only real objection to VirtualBox is that
it doesn't afford them the opportunity of feeling superior by way of
demonstrating that they are more willing to waste money.
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 7/1/15, 6:49 AM, in article net, "JEDIDIAH"

OS X runs fine in Parallels on a Mac... so you can run older versions of
OS X.

Yes. You can ONLY run MacOS on a Mac.

Right: at least in any supported way. Maybe even in any legal way - not sure
about that.

You can kind of hack your way around that with a custom hardware build
but it's even more bothersome than trying to build a Linux box in the early
90s.

OK.

While I have iMac in the office I just wanted to try it in VM, but alas
virtualbox support is very lousy.

From what I have seen and read, VirtualBox in general does not work as
well as Parallels and VMWare... but it is also free.

What you have seen and read is balderdash

Generally VirtualBox runs better than VMware and has more options. There is
currently only one area where VMware perfroms slightly better. The speed of
the virtual network is a little higher than that of VirtualBox.

That's not been my experience. Although VirtualBox is more than adequate
for "light duty" work. Admittedly my experience may be soured by the whatever
Ubuntu has done with their build of Virtualbox.

On the other hand, I don't see this being at all an issue for pedestrian
Apple users. It's likely that their only real objection to VirtualBox is that
it doesn't afford them the opportunity of feeling superior by way of
demonstrating that they are more willing to waste money.

What? You are not even trying to make sense any more. I mean, really, what
the hell are you even talking about?

Oh. Just trying to get my goat now that I pointed out how wrong your last
guess was:

JEDIDIAH:
-----
| Meanwhile OS X offers things like Automator and AppleScript /
| Script
...which benefits YOU personally how much?

You've probably never touched the thing, or even touched anyone
else's work that's a result of those tools.

I get a lot of mileage out of bash, perl, and PHP. Some sort of
script generator for rubes would probably slow me down if anything
while not adding much of any benefit.
-----

I gave you a lot of examples - many of which the technologies you speak of
would not work with (well, at least not on Linux, on OS X you could use
those in conjunction with with Automator / AppleScript). I went into far
more detail elsewhere, but those examples included:

* Resizing / moving windows for screencasting purposes
* Resizing images / making thumbnails
* Setting meta-data on PDFs
* Rotating tabs in Safari
* Going up a directly in Safari
* Getting all images from a webpage
* Opening all local links from a webpage
* Educational tools to teach how to say numbers
* Opening a second instance of a program (not the norm on OS X)
* My much-discussed bot
* Folder actions to copy or organize files
* Mail PDFs with a custom name from any print dialog
* Open sets of applications

All sorts of things... and all done by a non-programmer. Your lack of
response is deafening.