Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

Default A Perfect Case For NOT Using Linux.

This one is hilarious. It's on a Linux centric site, written by a
Linux zealot yet because he tells the truth about Linux, admirable,
it really turns into a "why on earth would I want to run Linux" post.
Only he doesn't get it.
Like I said, hilarious.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Is-It...m-484750.shtml
http://tinyurl.com/p5yn75s

This part is
hysterical!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

A couple of hours a day and after a few months?
Is he ****ing kidding?
Most people don't last a day with Linux after trying it.
Linux is that bad.

"The truth is that, at first, it will be hard, and you will encounter
many issues. Prepare to search the Internet for many tutorials, join
forums of the Linux distribution you're migrating to and ask
questions on how to do various things. My suggestion is to install
Linux on a different computer, or use a dual-boot setup - though many
will encounter issues with that - and access it from time to time,
1-2 hours per day, and after a few months, you will know if you can
really make the switch."
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 06/21/2015 02:27 PM, Tomas wrote:
A couple of hours a day and after a few months?
Is he ****ing kidding?
Most people don't last a day with Linux after trying it.
Linux is that bad.

It really depends on the distro and the person. I played with Ubuntu
several years ago, and wound up switching to it full time because I
hated Windows. That said, I install Linux for people who cannot figure
out Window - as in total computer illiterate. I always give them my card
and full permission to call me if they can't figure something out.

So far, I've only ever had three calls, and they were always "Oh!
Nevermind, I figured it out myself" when I call back.

It's different for everyone. Most of these people wind up telling me how
much they LOVE Ubuntu and can't imagine ever using Windows again. I've
even overheard them recommending it to other friends.

No operating system is everything to everyone, nor ever will be. But for
me and many people, tech and total-non tech, Linux is a heckovalot
better than Windows for our use. (And, by the way, I do some pretty
heavy-duty production stuff on this tux box.)

--
The number of ways in which code can be potentially screwed up is
theoretically infinite.
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Jun 2015 14:48:24 -0700, Jason C. McDonald wrote:

On 06/21/2015 02:27 PM, Tomas wrote:
A couple of hours a day and after a few months?
Is he ****ing kidding?
Most people don't last a day with Linux after trying it.
Linux is that bad.

It really depends on the distro and the person.

Ok.
But that's part of the problem. So many different Linux distributions
when the facts prove that most people choose from the top 5 or so
anyway.
Wouldn't it make sense to focus and apply the resources to those top
distributions?

I played with Ubuntu
several years ago, and wound up switching to it full time because I
hated Windows.

Specifically why did you hate Windows.
Did you hate Microsoft?
Viruses?
Security?
Cost?
Poor UI?
?

That said, I install Linux for people who cannot figure
out Window - as in total computer illiterate. I always give them my card
and full permission to call me if they can't figure something out.

So if they can't figure out Windows, what makes Linux different
enough that they can figure out Linux?

So far, I've only ever had three calls, and they were always "Oh!
Nevermind, I figured it out myself" when I call back.

But they can't figure out Windows?
Doesn't make sense.
Linux is far more complex and far less supported.
For example, you have never had a call asking how to connect an iPod
to Linux, sync, tag etc like iTunes does?

I find that incredible.

It's different for everyone. Most of these people wind up telling me how
much they LOVE Ubuntu and can't imagine ever using Windows again. I've
even overheard them recommending it to other friends.

Specifics please.

No operating system is everything to everyone, nor ever will be. But for
me and many people, tech and total-non tech, Linux is a heckovalot
better than Windows for our use. (And, by the way, I do some pretty
heavy-duty production stuff on this tux box.)

Specifics.
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

Tomas wrote:

snip flatfish idiocy

Who do you think you are kidding, flatfish Gary Stewrat?
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 06/21/2015 02:59 PM, Tomas wrote:
On Sun, 21 Jun 2015 14:48:24 -0700, Jason C. McDonald wrote:

On 06/21/2015 02:27 PM, Tomas wrote:
A couple of hours a day and after a few months?
Is he ****ing kidding?
Most people don't last a day with Linux after trying it.
Linux is that bad.

It really depends on the distro and the person.

Ok.
But that's part of the problem. So many different Linux distributions
when the facts prove that most people choose from the top 5 or so
anyway.
Wouldn't it make sense to focus and apply the resources to those top
distributions?

No, it doesn't. Windows has some problems because they try to be
everything to everyone at all times. Various Linuxes are for specific
purposes and goals. Ubuntu didn't used to be the top - it used to be an
unknown while Red Hat led the pack. Now Ubuntu is one of the top, but
who knows if one of those quiet leaders might come to the front.

I played with Ubuntu
several years ago, and wound up switching to it full time because I
hated Windows.

Specifically why did you hate Windows.
Did you hate Microsoft?
Viruses?
Security?
Cost?
Poor UI?
?

Yes, yes, yes, yes, as well as the fact that Linux gives far more
control over the system to techs like me. As Eric Raymond says, you
cannot learn how to become a hacker (as in the programmer, not the
criminal) on a proprietary operating system.

That said, I install Linux for people who cannot figure
out Window - as in total computer illiterate. I always give them my card
and full permission to call me if they can't figure something out.

So if they can't figure out Windows, what makes Linux different
enough that they can figure out Linux?

Unity's interface works better for them. It's pretty straight forward
for your average computer use. You can find software and install it
quickly with Ubuntu Software Center, without worrying about price.
Settings are obvious, programs are easily within reach.

For some, Unity is a nightmare. They prefer Windows. Great, that works
for them. I am not one of those people. It's all personal preference,
psychology, and the unique way people are wired mentally. Humans are by
no means predictable. There is no "Universal Serial User".

So far, I've only ever had three calls, and they were always "Oh!
Nevermind, I figured it out myself" when I call back.

But they can't figure out Windows?
Doesn't make sense.
Linux is far more complex and far less supported.
For example, you have never had a call asking how to connect an iPod
to Linux, sync, tag etc like iTunes does?

I find that incredible.

For what they are doing, everything is right there. Music? RhythmBox or
Banshee. Their Android devices just plugged in and worked out of the
box. No driver installation weirdness. Printer? Settings, add printer,
there it is! Print. Web? There's Firefox! Email? There's Thunderbird.
Documents? LibreOffice, New Document. Where'd I put my Christmas
shopping list? Dash, "Christmas shopping", oh, there it is.

Also, without the learning curve of anti-virus, defrag, scan disk, etc,
etc, they were less confused.

Plus, askubuntu.com actually has a lot of tutorials that are easy to
follow for most things non-obvious.

It's different for everyone. Most of these people wind up telling me how
much they LOVE Ubuntu and can't imagine ever using Windows again. I've
even overheard them recommending it to other friends.

Specifics please.

Again, they personally found it easier to use. No viruses. Less
document-devouring crashes. Updates happen quietly and efficiently in
the background. Also, can't beat free.

Beyond that, see above.

But, again, that was specific to their way of thinking and what they
needed to do. I always talked to them and showed them Ubuntu on my
machine, and let them decide. (I have been fixing Windows machines as
well since I was 12 years old...and I'm talking manually removing viruses.)

No operating system is everything to everyone, nor ever will be. But for
me and many people, tech and total-non tech, Linux is a heckovalot
better than Windows for our use. (And, by the way, I do some pretty
heavy-duty production stuff on this tux box.)

I write code for a living. We deal with audio editing, video editing,
animation, repository management, vector graphics, webmastering, and
business administration stuff at my company. We also don't feel like
spending several thousand dollars to do what can be done for free at the
exact same quality level. Plus, we like the UI, UNIX Bash, and the
software that runs on Linux.

(Besides that, I used Visual Studio long enough to learn to hate it for
a plethora of technical and preferential reasons. Don't ask for
specifics, it's a personal decision I made, and I'm one of many coders
who have.)

All in all, it comes down to a personal decision. If you like Windows or
Mac, good for you. Enjoy it. I won't stop you. But, as the old Indian
saying goes, "You don't know a man until you've walked a mile in his
moccasins." You can only speak for your own experience, and for the
experiences others have shared with you. That's all I can do, too.

So, why do I advocate Linux? Because it is right for SOME PEOPLE, and I
believe in showing everyone what Linux honestly is capable of. People
are able to make up their own minds, without us trying to convince them
of the evils of the opposition.

--
The number of ways in which code can be potentially screwed up is
theoretically infinite.
www.indeliblebluepen.com

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

Jason C. McDonald wrote:

So, why do I advocate Linux? Because it is right for SOME PEOPLE, and I
believe in showing everyone what Linux honestly is capable of. People
are able to make up their own minds, without us trying to convince them
of the evils of the opposition.

So, while all of that is true, you still have talked to flatfish Gary
Stewart, one of the vilest trolls ever on usenet. "Tomas" is just one of his
several hundreds of nyms
And he absolutely certain does not intend to "discuss linux". He is a
windows troll who hates linux. Bin that ****head
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

So what has all this got to do with home repair?
Do you just post willy nilly when something
strikes your fancy? Or are Linux fans perhaps
against houses?

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 06/21/2015 03:32 PM, Peter Köhlmann wrote:
Jason C. McDonald wrote:

So, why do I advocate Linux? Because it is right for SOME PEOPLE, and I
believe in showing everyone what Linux honestly is capable of. People
are able to make up their own minds, without us trying to convince them
of the evils of the opposition.

So, while all of that is true, you still have talked to flatfish Gary
Stewart, one of the vilest trolls ever on usenet. "Tomas" is just one of his
several hundreds of nyms
And he absolutely certain does not intend to "discuss linux". He is a
windows troll who hates linux. Bin that ****head

Heh, I'm actually installing Pan with the specific purpose of plonking
this guy. (I'm on Tbird, and just realized that it doesn't have ea
killfile.)

Truth is, I had a feeling this guy was a troll, but frankly I reply to
that style of post on rare occasion to build up my flame retardant
debate skills. Kinda like boxing a punching bag...you know it's never
going to get KO'd, but you get better at dodging. ;P (Don't worry, I
said my piece and have nothing more on the matter.)

The other reason I responded is if someone hits this conversation on
Google. Trolls generally don't listen to anyone, so I rarely talk for
their benefit.

Thanks for the tip all the same, Peter. Still finding my way around USENET.

--
The number of ways in which code can be potentially screwed up is
theoretically infinite.
www.indeliblebluepen.com
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 06/21/2015 03:36 PM, Mayayana wrote:
So what has all this got to do with home repair?
Do you just post willy nilly when something
strikes your fancy? Or are Linux fans perhaps
against houses?

Cross-posting by a troll. Just ignore it. We don't claim him.

--
The number of ways in which code can be potentially screwed up is
theoretically infinite.
www.indeliblebluepen.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/21/2015 04:27 PM, Tomas wrote:
This one is hilarious. It's on a Linux centric site, written by a
Linux zealot yet because he tells the truth about Linux, admirable,
it really turns into a "why on earth would I want to run Linux" post.
Only he doesn't get it.
Like I said, hilarious.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Is-It...m-484750.shtml
http://tinyurl.com/p5yn75s

This part is
hysterical!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

A couple of hours a day and after a few months?
Is he ****ing kidding?
Most people don't last a day with Linux after trying it.
Linux is that bad.

I've been using Linux for 15 years and switched to it as my full time OS
about five years ago.

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

Jason C. McDonald wrote:

So, why do I advocate Linux? Because it is right for SOME PEOPLE, and I
believe in showing everyone what Linux honestly is capable of. People
are able to make up their own minds, without us trying to convince them
of the evils of the opposition.

So, while all of that is true, you still have talked to flatfish Gary
Stewart, one of the vilest trolls ever on usenet. "Tomas" is just one
of his
several hundreds of nyms
And he absolutely certain does not intend to "discuss linux". He is a
windows troll who hates linux. Bin that ****head

Heh, I'm actually installing Pan with the specific purpose of plonking
this guy. (I'm on Tbird, and just realized that it doesn't have ea
killfile.)

Thunderbird DOES have a killfile. Tools - Message Filters.

snip

--
Slimer
Proud "wintroll"
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 06/21/2015 04:27 PM, Tomas wrote:

[snip]

"The truth is that, at first, it will be hard, and you will encounter
many issues. Prepare to search the Internet for many tutorials, join
forums of the Linux distribution you're migrating to and ask
questions on how to do various things. My suggestion is to install
Linux on a different computer, or use a dual-boot setup - though many
will encounter issues with that - and access it from time to time,
1-2 hours per day, and after a few months, you will know if you can
really make the switch."

I did have one problem with dual boot (this was on a BIOS system, not
UEFI). In this case, it seemed to be Windows at fault. Some Windows
programs write over the disk boot track, where GRUB is installed.

I can't prove it, but strongly suspect some program's anti-usability
feature ("product activation").

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The basic test of freedom is perhaps less in what we are free to do
than in what we are free not to do." -- Eric Hoffer
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 6/21/15, 2:27 PM, in article ,
"Tomas" wrote:

This one is hilarious. It's on a Linux centric site, written by a
Linux zealot yet because he tells the truth about Linux, admirable,
it really turns into a "why on earth would I want to run Linux" post.
Only he doesn't get it.
Like I said, hilarious.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Is-It...our-Main-Compu
ter-Operating-System-484750.shtml
http://tinyurl.com/p5yn75s

This part is
hysterical!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

A couple of hours a day and after a few months?
Is he ****ing kidding?
Most people don't last a day with Linux after trying it.
Linux is that bad.

"The truth is that, at first, it will be hard, and you will encounter
many issues. Prepare to search the Internet for many tutorials, join
forums of the Linux distribution you're migrating to and ask
questions on how to do various things. My suggestion is to install
Linux on a different computer, or use a dual-boot setup - though many
will encounter issues with that - and access it from time to time,
1-2 hours per day, and after a few months, you will know if you can
really make the switch."

Would be great if the "advocates" could find places where Linux actually
benefits their productivity, efficiency, or error-reduction.

But they can't.

--
* Mint MATE Trash, Panel, Menu: http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE
* Mint KDE bugs or Easter eggs? http://youtu.be/CU-whJQvtfA

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jason C. McDonald wrote:

[...]

I have Thunderbird installed on my Windows machines back at home and I could swear there is a way to filter out coitus heads. I'm stuck with Google Groups right now because I'm using a Chromebook from my hospital bed and there is no way to filter out the perineal sphincters. I know Thunderbird can be set up to filter all sorts of things so check out the link. o_O

https://tinyurl.com/p58nx2r

[8~{} Uncle Mozilla Monster
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 6/21/15, 2:48 PM, in article , "Jason C.
McDonald" wrote:

On 06/21/2015 02:27 PM, Tomas wrote:
A couple of hours a day and after a few months?
Is he ****ing kidding?
Most people don't last a day with Linux after trying it.
Linux is that bad.

It really depends on the distro and the person. I played with Ubuntu
several years ago, and wound up switching to it full time because I
hated Windows. That said, I install Linux for people who cannot figure
out Window - as in total computer illiterate. I always give them my card
and full permission to call me if they can't figure something out.

I used to do the same thing - I live in a neighborhood of many older
families (though also others) and offer free tech support. Went through a
fair amount of time when many computers, for whatever reason, where having
significant issues (maybe tied to when Vista was popular... hmmm, come to
think of it I think that is it). Anyway, many of the people did not want to
deal with Windows or had people given them computers but no OS. I installed
Ubuntu for them.

I also used to teach in a high school and set up a Ubuntu lab there (also at
a K-8 school). With the high school students I had Ubuntu CDs I handed out
and would help as needed.

So far, I've only ever had three calls, and they were always "Oh!
Nevermind, I figured it out myself" when I call back.

I used to get a lot more than that. With one friend I made a video on how to
do something he found to be trivial on Windows but could not figure out on
Linux: how to install software from a site. Here is the video:

http://tmp.gallopinginsanity.com/Ubuntu-stuff.mov

He did not live near me so I made the video, but I often had questions from
folks in the neighborhood. As they could afford to they bought new computers
and now, as far as I know, they all run Windows (or OS X). NONE stayed with
Linux.

With that said if they had stayed with Linux that would be fine. And it
served them better than the alternative: nothing. And if you like it then
you should use it. All good by me.

It's different for everyone. Most of these people wind up telling me how
much they LOVE Ubuntu and can't imagine ever using Windows again. I've
even overheard them recommending it to other friends.

Very different from what I have seen and what the stats show. Any idea what
it is they - or you - like about Ubuntu? Anything it does to help your
productivity, efficiency, or error-reduction better than the competition?

No operating system is everything to everyone, nor ever will be. But for
me and many people, tech and total-non tech, Linux is a heckovalot
better than Windows for our use. (And, by the way, I do some pretty
heavy-duty production stuff on this tux box.)

I would love to see Linux get to the point of competing well... but for now
it has only about 1.5% of the usage, and that is including many people who
have the option to use it or nothing. And is including all distros
*combined*. It is not as if Ubuntu has gotten that high or Mint or PCLOS or
whatever.

But I keep hoping.

--
* Mint MATE Trash, Panel, Menu: http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE
* Mint KDE bugs or Easter eggs? http://youtu.be/CU-whJQvtfA
* Mint KDE working with folders: http://youtu.be/7C9nvniOoE0
* Mint KDE creating files: http://youtu.be/N7-fZJaJUv8
* Mint KDE help: http://youtu.be/3ikizUd3sa8
* Mint KDE general navigation: http://youtu.be/t9y14yZtQuI
* Easy on OS X / Hard on Linux: http://youtu.be/D3BPWANQoIk
* OS / Word Processor Comparison: http://youtu.be/w6Qcl-w7s5c

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 2015-06-21 7:22 PM, Snit wrote:
On 6/21/15, 2:27 PM, in article ,
"Tomas" wrote:

[...]

Here, I'll take a stab at advocating Linux. I'll take the perspective of
my teenage self.

"As an unemployed teenager, I can't afford to buy myself decent computer
equipment. As a result, I am forced to use a 386 SX-16 with 2MB of RAM I
bought for about 200$ (1994) with a 40MB hard disk. Such poverty means
that I can't afford to pay for DOS or Windows either, much less a word
processor. Enter Linux which is available free of charge and allows me
to put an operating system on my otherwise useless computer. It also
provides me with access to a decent word processor which allows me to do
my school essays as well as type up some of the stories I came up with."

--
Slimer
Proud "wintroll"
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 6/21/15, 3:25 PM, in article , "Jason C.
McDonald" wrote:

Specifically why did you hate Windows.
Did you hate Microsoft?
Viruses?
Security?
Cost?
Poor UI?
?

Yes, yes, yes, yes, as well as the fact that Linux gives far more
control over the system to techs like me. As Eric Raymond says, you
cannot learn how to become a hacker (as in the programmer, not the
criminal) on a proprietary operating system.

OK, so it is a good techie playground... a good place to learn about
computers and offers great command line shells. That and it can be had at no
cost and, like OS X, the risk of malware is far lower than on Windows.

Anything where it handles tasks better: things where you can show it
benefitting productivity, efficiency, or error-reduction?

I have more videos in my .sig, but here are some of the reasons why I prefer
the competition on the desktop:

* Easy on OS X / Hard on Linux: http://youtu.be/D3BPWANQoIk

I would love to see "responses" to that where you or others show (or at
least describe - but many times showing is much better) where Linux also has
great benefits.

There are other videos I have made which were not long enough to be worth
putting on YouTube. I can point you to some of those. Hmmm, I will show you
this one:

http://tmp.gallopinginsanity.com/os-x-merge-copy-move

I made that in response to a question in COLA... showing where OS X is
broken.

That said, I install Linux for people who cannot figure
out Window - as in total computer illiterate. I always give them my card
and full permission to call me if they can't figure something out.

So if they can't figure out Windows, what makes Linux different
enough that they can figure out Linux?

Unity's interface works better for them. It's pretty straight forward
for your average computer use. You can find software and install it
quickly with Ubuntu Software Center, without worrying about price.
Settings are obvious, programs are easily within reach.

For some, Unity is a nightmare. They prefer Windows. Great, that works
for them. I am not one of those people. It's all personal preference,
psychology, and the unique way people are wired mentally. Humans are by
no means predictable. There is no "Universal Serial User".

As I say: Use what you like. No argument here.

So far, I've only ever had three calls, and they were always "Oh!
Nevermind, I figured it out myself" when I call back.

But they can't figure out Windows?
Doesn't make sense.
Linux is far more complex and far less supported.
For example, you have never had a call asking how to connect an iPod
to Linux, sync, tag etc like iTunes does?

I find that incredible.

For what they are doing, everything is right there. Music? RhythmBox or
Banshee. Their Android devices just plugged in and worked out of the
box. No driver installation weirdness. Printer? Settings, add printer,
there it is!

Same with the competition. I actually have some videos on "setting up" my
then-new networked OfficeJet:

http://tmp.gallopinginsanity.com/PrintFirstTime.mp4
http://tmp.gallopinginsanity.com/FirstScan.mov

Sadly in COLA the norm is for Linux "advocates" to just lie about the
competition. Shortly after I posted those, Peter Köhlmann made this claim:

-----
Scanning [on OS X] is not supported *at* *all* without jumping
through several hoops. This includes hunting down 3 different
software packages (libusb, sane-backend and sane) *and* installing
them. Out of the box no scanning is supported at all. This is in
stark contrast to linux where scanning is supported right from the
start after setting up the printer

The same is true about *all* OfficeJet Pro printers under OSX.
-----

Just insane.

Print. Web? There's Firefox! Email? There's Thunderbird.
Documents? LibreOffice, New Document. Where'd I put my Christmas
shopping list? Dash, "Christmas shopping", oh, there it is.

Can you find examples of where those do things better than the competition.
Here is an example of LibreOffice being far behind the competition:

* OS / Word Processor Comparison: http://youtu.be/w6Qcl-w7s5c

Also, without the learning curve of anti-virus, defrag, scan disk, etc,
etc, they were less confused.

The lower need for anti-malware is a plus, though AVG is free and works well
with little "fiddling". As far as the rest, not really an issue on modern
Windows.

Plus, askubuntu.com actually has a lot of tutorials that are easy to
follow for most things non-obvious.

Maybe you can point to some of those which show benefits of Linux (hey, see
this URL - it shows how easy it is to do task A!)

No operating system is everything to everyone, nor ever will be. But for
me and many people, tech and total-non tech, Linux is a heckovalot
better than Windows for our use. (And, by the way, I do some pretty
heavy-duty production stuff on this tux box.)

I write code for a living. We deal with audio editing, video editing,
animation, repository management, vector graphics, webmastering, and
business administration stuff at my company.

Excellent... this means you likely would not find it at all challenging to
make a few minute video to show the type things I show. Cool.

We also don't feel like spending several thousand dollars to do what can be
done for free at the exact same quality level. Plus, we like the UI, UNIX
Bash, and the software that runs on Linux.

Which software and what does it do for you better than what can be done on
OS X or Windows.

And example I can give is many of the DEs on Linux have windows snap to each
other. A small thing, perhaps, but for those using many windows it makes a
difference. Another: while Photoshop is far "above" GIMP, for some bizarre
reason Adobe has never added the ability to work with favicons. Even using
third party plugins it is not as good. Sure, you can get GIMP for Windows
and OS X, but why would Adobe leave this out of an image editing program
they sell as a part of a web suite. Just silly (that is really an advantage
of GIMP over Photoshop, not Linux over Windows or OS X... but you get the
idea).

All in all, it comes down to a personal decision. If you like Windows or
Mac, good for you. Enjoy it. I won't stop you. But, as the old Indian
saying goes, "You don't know a man until you've walked a mile in his
moccasins." You can only speak for your own experience, and for the
experiences others have shared with you. That's all I can do, too.

And even with the same experience different people will prefer different
things. I am right with you on the use what you like train. Absolutely. My
questions are more about the reasons why... I am not likely to change my
mind and certainly am not trying to change yours, just like to learn.

So, why do I advocate Linux? Because it is right for SOME PEOPLE, and I
believe in showing everyone what Linux honestly is capable of.

Excellent... THAT is what I would love to see: someone "showing everyone
what Linux honestly is capable of." If you get a chance watch the videos I
reference above and the ones in my .sig (some overlap there).

People are able to make up their own minds, without us trying to convince them
of the evils of the opposition.

--
* Mint MATE Trash, Panel, Menu: http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE
* Mint KDE bugs or Easter eggs? http://youtu.be/CU-whJQvtfA
* Mint KDE working with folders: http://youtu.be/7C9nvniOoE0
* Mint KDE creating files: http://youtu.be/N7-fZJaJUv8
* Mint KDE help: http://youtu.be/3ikizUd3sa8
* Mint KDE general navigation: http://youtu.be/t9y14yZtQuI
* Easy on OS X / Hard on Linux: http://youtu.be/D3BPWANQoIk
* OS / Word Processor Comparison: http://youtu.be/w6Qcl-w7s5c

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 6/21/15, 4:44 PM, in article , "Slimer"
wrote:

[...]

That was similar to the story of many of the high school students I *did*
give Ubuntu CDs to. It was Linux or nothing. And of those two, Linux is the
better choice.

--
* Mint MATE Trash, Panel, Menu: http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE
* Mint KDE bugs or Easter eggs? http://youtu.be/CU-whJQvtfA
* Mint KDE working with folders: http://youtu.be/7C9nvniOoE0
* Mint KDE creating files: http://youtu.be/N7-fZJaJUv8
* Mint KDE help: http://youtu.be/3ikizUd3sa8
* Mint KDE general navigation: http://youtu.be/t9y14yZtQuI
* Easy on OS X / Hard on Linux: http://youtu.be/D3BPWANQoIk
* OS / Word Processor Comparison: http://youtu.be/w6Qcl-w7s5c

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

Jason C. McDonald wrote:

[...]

Be aware Peter is a "Trojan horse advocate"... he calls himself an advocate
but does little other than lash out with accusations he cannot back,
insults, etc. For example he claims I tell a bunch of unquotable lies... or
lies he cannot quote. What the hell does that even mean?

--
* Mint MATE Trash, Panel, Menu: http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE
* Mint KDE bugs or Easter eggs? http://youtu.be/CU-whJQvtfA
* Mint KDE working with folders: http://youtu.be/7C9nvniOoE0
* Mint KDE creating files: http://youtu.be/N7-fZJaJUv8
* Mint KDE help: http://youtu.be/3ikizUd3sa8
* Mint KDE general navigation: http://youtu.be/t9y14yZtQuI
* Easy on OS X / Hard on Linux: http://youtu.be/D3BPWANQoIk
* OS / Word Processor Comparison: http://youtu.be/w6Qcl-w7s5c

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 06/21/2015 03:59 PM, Tomas wrote:
For example, you have never had a call asking how to connect an iPod
to Linux, sync, tag etc like iTunes does?

The only Apple product I've ever owned is an iPod Shuffle that my boss
gave me one Christmas. I seldom use it but last week I decided to charge
it up and use it for a bike ride. When I plugged it into the USB port on
a SuSE 13.2 box it asked me if I wanted to synchronize it.

When I got it I rapidly found out it didn't appear as a mass storage
device like my other MP3 players, so I had to install iTunes on a
Windows laptop. What a joy that was to use that completely unintuitive
pile of dung.

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 06/21/2015 04:25 PM, Jason C. McDonald wrote:
For some, Unity is a nightmare. They prefer Windows. Great, that works
for them. I am not one of those people. It's all personal preference,
psychology, and the unique way people are wired mentally. Humans are by
no means predictable. There is no "Universal Serial User".

When I installed Ubuntu with the Unity Desktop it lasted about three
days before I downloaded KDE. For my work machine I went directly to
Kubuntu, and for a fresh install on a new home machine I went back to SuSE.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, June 21, 2015 at 5:52:16 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:
On 06/21/2015 04:27 PM, Tomas wrote:
This one is hilarious. It's on a Linux centric site, written by a
Linux zealot yet because he tells the truth about Linux, admirable,
it really turns into a "why on earth would I want to run Linux" post.
Only he doesn't get it.
Like I said, hilarious.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Is-It...m-484750.shtml
http://tinyurl.com/p5yn75s

This part is
hysterical!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

A couple of hours a day and after a few months?
Is he ****ing kidding?
Most people don't last a day with Linux after trying it.
Linux is that bad.

I've been using Linux for 15 years and switched to it as my full time OS
about five years ago.

Hey philo, have you ever fooled around with PC-BSD? Me and my brother have it loaded on some of our machines along with some of the computers having different flavors of Linux. If you have an extra drive laying around, give it a try. I haven't used the newest version of PC-BSD yet but was impressed by the older versions. 8-)

http://www.pcbsd.org/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC-BSD

[8~{} Uncle BSD Monster
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 06/21/2015 05:57 PM, Snit wrote:
OK, so it is a good techie playground... a good place to learn about
computers and offers great command line shells. That and it can be had at no
cost and, like OS X, the risk of malware is far lower than on Windows.

Anything where it handles tasks better: things where you can show it
benefitting productivity, efficiency, or error-reduction?

you've just answered your own question. We develop on Linux and port the
product to Windows. Why? The development tools on Linux, such as gdb,
valgrind, electric fence, and so forth are superior to what is available
on Windows and are no cost. A Windows memory debugger like Purify is
relatively expensive to license and complex to use. The Windows support
has gotten better over the years, but if you wanted to cross compile for
a PIC or Atmel device, Linux was there with the toolchain.

Amazingly, Windows tools have never been all that great. I've learned to
live with Visual Studio but its editing capabilities are primitive to
say the least. Fortunately you can integrate gVim with VS.

Even Microsoft has gotten the message since Ballmer was sent packing.
They are incorporating Linux support in Azure since they realize many of
the VMs are Linux.

Would I recommend Linux to my cousin who can barely cope with email?
Hell no. But I'm not sure she would have any better success with Windows
10.

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

Jason C. McDonald wrote:

[...]

So you in effect know absolutely nothing about Linux but are in fact
parroting what you believe to be true.
Congratulations!
You have found COLA.
It's very common behavior here.

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 06/21/2015 05:41 PM, Snit wrote:
I used to do the same thing - I live in a neighborhood of many older
families (though also others) and offer free tech support. Went through a
fair amount of time when many computers, for whatever reason, where having
significant issues (maybe tied to when Vista was popular...

Using Vista and popular in the same sentence is a stretch. We had a
Vista machine so we could certify our products would run on it but afaik
not one of our clients ever went to Vista. They ran XP until the
hardware died and went to 7. Windows 8 was about the same and there is
scepticism about Windows 10 in the professional community. Let the home
users get sucked into it, see how much is broken, and then maybe migrate
in a year or two.

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Jun 2015 00:32:48 +0200, Peter Köhlmann wrote:

Jason C. McDonald wrote:

So, why do I advocate Linux? Because it is right for SOME PEOPLE, and I
believe in showing everyone what Linux honestly is capable of. People
are able to make up their own minds, without us trying to convince them
of the evils of the opposition.

So, while all of that is true, you still have talked to flatfish Gary
Stewart, one of the vilest trolls ever on usenet. "Tomas" is just one of his
several hundreds of nyms
And he absolutely certain does not intend to "discuss linux". He is a
windows troll who hates linux. Bin that ****head

Peter has zero proof of his claims.
My suggestion to you Jason, is to research Peter Kohlmann's track
record of being wrong about technical issues.
He is batting about 100 percent.
That's pretty much being wrong about everything.

Most in COLA consider Peter Kohlmann to be a village idiot of sorts.

Like I said, do the research and decide for yourself.
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Jun 2015 15:25:58 -0700, Jason C. McDonald wrote:

[...]

BRAVO!!!!

A FINE example of Linux advocacy!!

You need to stick around here for a while but be ready for the Linux
zealots to attack you because of your moderate opinion.
Shields Up!
Phasers on stun!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Jun 2015 18:36:09 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

So what has all this got to do with home repair?

This from a guy who wrote long posts here about Google.
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Jun 2015 00:12:16 +0200, Peter Köhlmann wrote:

Tomas wrote:

snip flatfish idiocy

Who do you think you are kidding, flatfish Gary Stewrat?

Kidding?
The only person I see in this thread who is trying to kid people is
you.
The others have posted their likes/dislikes about Linux and unlike
you, they are not wrong 100 percent of the time.
Your accusations of being flatfish Gary Stewert are getting old BTW.
You've never had a single shred of evidence to support your false
claims.
So why not just go back to BAU, being wrong 100 percent of the time?
It seems to suit you well, Peter Kohlmann.

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 6/21/15, 5:49 PM, in article , "rbowman"
wrote:

On 06/21/2015 05:41 PM, Snit wrote:
I used to do the same thing - I live in a neighborhood of many older
families (though also others) and offer free tech support. Went through a
fair amount of time when many computers, for whatever reason, where having
significant issues (maybe tied to when Vista was popular...

Using Vista and popular in the same sentence is a stretch.

Fair enough.

One of the neighbors I mentioned bought a Vista machine... it came with a
printer. And no drivers for the printer. None were available from the
manufacturer. Utterly insane "bundle". Ended up moving them to Ubuntu and
they could at least print.

Later they moved to Windows 7.

[...]

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 6/21/15, 5:44 PM, in article , "rbowman"
wrote:

[...]

Fair enough. I know developers who prefer Windows and those who prefer *nix
environments. I am not a developer and have no preference... and it likely
depends a lot on the type of development, etc.

Would I recommend Linux to my cousin who can barely cope with email?
Hell no. But I'm not sure she would have any better success with Windows
10.

Again: Fair enough.

--
* Mint MATE Trash, Panel, Menu: http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE
* Mint KDE bugs or Easter eggs? http://youtu.be/CU-whJQvtfA
* Mint KDE working with folders: http://youtu.be/7C9nvniOoE0
* Mint KDE creating files: http://youtu.be/N7-fZJaJUv8
* Mint KDE help: http://youtu.be/3ikizUd3sa8
* Mint KDE general navigation: http://youtu.be/t9y14yZtQuI
* Easy on OS X / Hard on Linux: http://youtu.be/D3BPWANQoIk
* OS / Word Processor Comparison: http://youtu.be/w6Qcl-w7s5c

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

Tomas wrote:

snip flatfish idiocy

Who do you think you are kidding, flatfish Gary Stewrat?

Kidding?
The only person I see in this thread who is trying to kid people is
you.
The others have posted their likes/dislikes about Linux and unlike
you, they are not wrong 100 percent of the time.
Your accusations of being flatfish Gary Stewert are getting old BTW.
You've never had a single shred of evidence to support your false
claims.
So why not just go back to BAU, being wrong 100 percent of the time?
It seems to suit you well, Peter Kohlmann.

OK, for those who have not seen how incredibly wrong and absurd Peter tends
to be - just some of his comments... and as far as I know he has never
admitted to being wrong about *any* of these:

Peter Köhlmann, responding to Sir Slimer:
-----
| Anyone who gets upset that Windows or OS X uses ideas first
| showcased on GNU/Linux don't understand the GPL license at all,
| it seems.
"Ideas" have nothing to do with GPL, you imbecile Snit
-----

https://stallman.org/photos/china/2000/ms_oss.html
-----
But the ideas and logic of the GPL cannot be found in the Open
Source Movement. They stem from the deeper goals and values of the
Free Software Movement.

The Free Software Movement was founded in 1984, but its
inspiration comes from the ideals of 1776: freedom, community, and
voluntary cooperation. This is what leads to free enterprise, to
free speech, and to free software.
-----

The "ideas and logic" of the GPL are tied to Stallman's views (as twisted as
they can be) of "freedom, community, and voluntary cooperation." The GPL is
about allowing others to use the ideas found in your IP. To claim ideas have
nothing to do with the GPL shows you do not understand how and why it was
developed.

https://wiki.debian.org/MultimediaCodecs
-----
DVD Playback
DVDs are usually encrypted with CSS. CSS is not a codec. In any
case, here is some information on playback of encrypted DVDs. All
media players use libdvdcss2 in order to playback these encrypted
DVDs. libdvdcss2 is not available in the official Debian
repositories.
-----

Peter Köhlmann:
-----
|| Not for "normal users", for the most part. Browsing, email,
|| letter-writing, light "office" work, music, videos, etc. all
|| work right out of the box, even with Debian.
| Even commercial dvds??
Yes. That has worked since ages
------

Peter Köhlmann claims that DVD playback works out of the box for Debian -
and has for "ages" - even though the reality is it not only does not work,
the Debian Wiki states that that the needed codec is not even available in
their official repositories.

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=332544 Christoph Feck
-----
The tab widget is provided by the Qt library. Please report this
issue directly to Qt developers via
https://bugreports.qt-project.org/
-----

-----
Resolution: Unresolved
Fix Version/s: Some future release
-----

Peter Köhlmann, in reference to that Qt library bug:
-----
That stupid clown Snit Michael Glasser has not the tiniest of
clues who is to address with that "bug" ... It isn't a Qt widget
that incompetent "computer expert" is complaining about, it is a
KDE widget
-----

Peter Köhlmann claims Christoph Feck of the KDE team says things which prove
he is "incompetent" and "has not the tiniest of clues who to address with
that 'bug'".

Peter Köhlmann, referencing his own idiotic quotes:
-----
And what a surprise: Not a single Msg-ID supplied by that liar
Snit... Because *if* he did supply Msg-IDs, anyone could see that
he has doctored the posts. ... He would be shown as the imbecile
liar he really is
-----
Peter distances himself from his own statements saying a Msg-ID is
needed to prove he is an idiot. Done, with links. What excuse will he
make next? A claim to kill filter me so he can pretend to not see this
list is my guess!

Peter Köhlmann:
-----
Except there are no "700 duplicative Linux distributions"
It is (at most) about a dozen. The rest is special purpose, and
not for the general usage on the desktop.
-----
From http://distrowatch.com: "The bewildering choice and the ever
increasing number of Linux distributions can be confusing for those who are
new to Linux."

Snit:
-----
Excellent screencasting software, similar to ScreenFlow. And
example of something I find key to its use:
http://youtu.be/To4v70huwAU. What OSS tool on desktop Linux
has anything even close?
-----
Peter Köhlmann:
-----
There are several more. Look up "Istanbul" for example or
"Byzanz", or "Cankiri" The list can grow quite a bit, but
these are the most used ones
-----
No program Peter pointed to does the task shown in the video. Peter
never found *any* way on desktop Linux.

Peter Köhlmann:
-----
In fact, there are at least 3 programs for screencasting which do
either without exception *all* he "needs" or can do it combined
with others
-----
| You have spoken of three programs.
No, I have not. Your incredibly bad reading comprehension is
rearing its ugly head again,
-----
Both of those quotes come from the same day and the same thread and were
stated in that order. In another thread on a previous day Peter gave the
names of three screen recording programs: Istanbul, Byzanz, and Cankiri.
None of those, nor any set of programs, has ever been shown to do what Peter
claims can be done on Linux.

Peter Köhlmann:
-----
When I talked about Hangout, that was obviously to anyone with a
brain that it is a mobile app, a class of programs which will be
more and more important
-----
http://www.google.com/hangouts
-----
Android Devices; iPhone, iPad & iPod; Computers; Gmail; Google+
-----
Hmmmm, who is right about Google Hangout: Peter or Google? LOL!

Peter Köhlmann:
-----
| For example, if I modified a BSD variant and tried to pass it
| off as "Linux" to people I would be stopped. ...
BSD allows such sheenigans
-----
The BSD license has no power to override trademarks and "allow" this.

Peter Kühlmann:
-----
| I was specifically in reference to "Nobody" and his incorrect
| claim in reference to the Linux code that "Users can do anything
| they want with it." This simply is not true.
It *is* true. Users *can* do anything they want to with it.
-----
Peter did also admit "they have to supply the source too if they want
to distribute the code". He never acknowledged his completely
contradictory claim was wrong.

Peter Köhlmann:
-----
| [Shortcuts and symbolic links] are similar in usage...
They are not even remotely "similar". Neither in usage nor in
behaviour. If you had /any/ clue whatsoever you would know that.
-----
It is not as if they are the same, but they clearly share many
similarities. Peter does not even know the basics on this topic.

-----
| So when I saw a sign that spoke of a "bibliothèque" I figured it
| had to do with books ("biblio") and could guess with pretty
| strong certainty it was a library. Similarly things like
| "hôpital" meaning "hospital" and "métro" referring to the subway
| system are not hard to figure out.
Which does not help you a tiny little bit if you *hear* the
language ...
-----
When people *read* signs they need not *hear* them! Peter never
acknowledged his error and made accusations of dishonesty.

Peter Köhlmann, after being shown these videos:
http://tmp.gallopinginsanity.com/PrintFirstTime.mp4
http://tmp.gallopinginsanity.com/FirstScan.mov
Both show an OfficeJet Pro 8600 after being connected to a network and
being used for the first time on a Mac. And it works very, very well.
-----
Scanning [on OS X] is not supported *at* *all* without jumping
through several hoops. This includes hunting down 3 different
software packages (libusb, sane-backend and sane) *and* installing
them. Out of the box no scanning is supported at all. This is in
stark contrast to linux where scanning is supported right from the
start after setting up the printer

The same is true about *all* OfficeJet Pro printers under OSX.
-----
LOL! Yes, after being shown how an OfficeJet Pro works without doing
*anything* extra Peter still makes these completely incorrect claims.

Peter Köhlmann
-----
| When you launch it, the splash screen says 'gimp'
Nope.
------
Peter is wrong, and it is trivial to prove:
http://www.gimp.org/about/splash/stable.html.

Peter Köhlmann:
-----
The apps with "Quit" do *not* exit, they continue to run
in the background
-----
Had he known how to use "top" he would know he was wrong:
http://tmp.gallopinginsanity.com/top.mov

Peter Köhlmann, in reference to http://goo.gl/IjlkV:
-----
You both show just *again* your incredible cluelessness. That is
*standard* X behaviour, you cretins. That Snot Michael Glasser
knows *nothing* about that is normal, he is the worst "IT teacher"
of all time. He knows nothing usefull about computing.
-----
The video, of course, shows things other than just standard X
behavior. Peter never showed any understanding of this.

In reference to: http://goo.gl/gBV6G / http://goo.gl/nysWd
Peter Köhlmann:
-----
| What's to understand? I can't read, write, copy or
| delete a root-owned folder... but I can rename it.
Actually, no, you can't
And stop lying. I have tested it.
-----
You have to tamper with the permissions to have it different. And
for that reason DFS claims are simply bull****.
-----
I can't duplicate the "problem" on any machine here.
-----
Since "Lost+found" is not created with the sticky bit at all, it
should not exhibit the behaviour DFS claims. And I can do whatever
I want with it on my systems (on all of them), it certainly does
not behave in any way near that way claimed
-----
Peter never admitted to his error.

Peter Köhlmann, speaking of HTML5:
-----
And browsers on desktop computers have little, if any, need to
adhere to such a "standard" which has no real reason to exist
except to support the idiotic iDevices
-----
Yeah, HTML5 has no other reason to exist. LOL!

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4683
-----
Clicking OK will restart the volume, even if no settings were
changed. Changing this setting does not require the volume to
be reinitialized; data is preserved.
-----
Peter Köhlmann:
-----
So You call having to reformat a drive in order to have that
feature "choice"? Really?
-----
Peter thinks "restarting" a volume reformats it even though it is
specifically stated no reinitialization is done and data is preserved.

Peter Köhlmann, in reference to the term "DHCP network", which
is used by Oracle, the University of Illinois, DATAQ, Netgear,
Cisco, and other such groups, http://goo.gl/C1TpPO:
-----
No, it is technically bull****. Nobody wanting to be taken
seriously as being competent would *ever* use such an idiotic
description.
-----
So, to Peter, *none* of those groups should be seen as being competent
when it comes to networking. None of them. LOL!

Snit, titling a thread where he made a mistake:
-----
Skype done.... *I* screwed up
-----
Peter Köhlman, referencing the same mistake:
-----
Snot Glasser will claim the most idiotic bull**** to wiggle out
of the fact that he screwed up again
-----
LOL! Just brilliant of Peter... and he never admitted to his mistake.

Peter Köhlmann:
-----
Play Services do *not* run in the background. The Update services
it provides *are* controllable by the user
-----
https://developer.android.com/google/play-services
-----
The Google Play services APK contains the individual Google
services and runs as a background service in the Android OS. You
interact with the background service through the client library
and the service carries out the actions on your behalf.
Automatic Updates
Devices running Android 2.2 and newer and that have the Google
Play Store app automatically receive updates to Google Play
services.
-----
Hmmm, who to believe about Google Play... Peter or Google. So hard to
decide!

* Mint MATE Trash, Panel, Menu: http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE
* Mint KDE bugs or Easter eggs? http://youtu.be/CU-whJQvtfA
* Mint KDE working with folders: http://youtu.be/7C9nvniOoE0
* Mint KDE creating files: http://youtu.be/N7-fZJaJUv8
* Mint KDE help: http://youtu.be/3ikizUd3sa8
* Mint KDE general navigation: http://youtu.be/t9y14yZtQuI
* Easy on OS X / Hard on Linux: http://youtu.be/D3BPWANQoIk
* OS / Word Processor Comparison: http://youtu.be/w6Qcl-w7s5c

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

Jason C. McDonald wrote:

[...]

Here are just some of Peter's claims.

From http://distrowatch.com: "The bewildering choice and the ever
> [...]

Peter Köhlmann:
-----
Play Services do *not* run in the background. The Update services
it provides *are* controllable by the user
-----
https://developer.android.com/google/play-services
-----
The Google Play services APK contains the individual Google
services and runs as a background service in the Android OS. You
interact with the background service through the client library
and the service carries out the actions on your behalf.
Automatic Updates
Devices running Android 2.2 and newer and that have the Google
Play Store app automatically receive updates to Google Play
services.
-----
Hmmm, who to believe about Google Play... Peter or Google. So hard to

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I remember how AbiWord helped me out during my second year of
University. Like today, I didn't want to use software which I hadn't
paid for and therefore didn't have a license to use Microsoft Office or
Corel WordPerfect Office. I could have used WordPad to write my essays,
but I needed something which provided me with the footnotes feature.
This was before the time of OpenOffice/LibreOffice. Enter AbiWord which
allowed me to write the essays with the footnotes. It was a Godsend.

Unfortunately, it hasn't developed since then and is rather pathetic
next to the competition today but it's still excellent for someone who
wants to remain on the legal side of things and who can't afford to buy
anything.

--
Slimer
Proud "wintroll"

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 2015-06-21, Tomas wrote:

But that's part of the problem. So many different Linux
distributions when the facts prove that most people choose from the
top 5 or so anyway. Wouldn't it make sense to focus and apply the
resources to those top distributions?

For regular people, desktop Linux is too complicated.

But, since I am now working with some very average people, what I am
learning is that they cannot use Windows either due to
viruses/spyware/malware/antiviruses. They are migrating to Apple and
Android for this reason, Windows is too hard to deal with due to
predatory software.

Windows is being abandoned at a very quick pace.

Android is also Linux, and is used by most people in the world who
have a computing device. In the sense of what is in the hands of most
people, Linux won via Android.

Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 2015-06-21, Tomas wrote:

But that's part of the problem. So many different Linux
distributions when the facts prove that most people choose from the
top 5 or so anyway. Wouldn't it make sense to focus and apply the
resources to those top distributions?

For regular people, desktop Linux is too complicated.

True.

But, since I am now working with some very average people, what I am
learning is that they cannot use Windows either due to
viruses/spyware/malware/antiviruses. They are migrating to Apple and
Android for this reason, Windows is too hard to deal with due to
predatory software.

Apple is solid but Android is a malware magnet.
Big disaster.

Windows is being abandoned at a very quick pace.

DESKTOP Windows is because technology is changing towards a more
portable centric model. Tablets etc.

Android is also Linux, and is used by most people in the world who
have a computing device. In the sense of what is in the hands of most
people, Linux won via Android.

They certainly won being the biggest target for malware.
Build it and they will come.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-06-21 7:22 PM, Snit wrote:
On 6/21/15, 2:27 PM, in article ,
"Tomas" wrote:

[...]

Oh man, you mean you couldn't get a pirated copy of the Windows OS? Teenaged computer user my butt. My experience with computers goes back to those leviathans that took up whole floors of buildings and used paper punch cards. Back in 1994 me and my brother were salvaging older PC's and putting together something we could use because we didn't have thousands of dollars to buy a new one. Not only that but we had a pirated copy of just about everything Microsoft produced. I had a hacked 386SX-20 with a small blower aimed at the motherboard in the case without a cover. I remembered how I drooled over the newer 386DX machines. Me and my pals shared pirated software but we didn't sell any like some people did. Darnit! Computers used to be fun! ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Hacker Monster
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

On 2015-06-21 8:44 PM, rbowman wrote:
[...]

Excellent advocacy. Thank you. It is indeed impressive what Linux
provides to developers free of charge.

Amazingly, Windows tools have never been all that great. I've learned to
live with Visual Studio but its editing capabilities are primitive to
say the least. Fortunately you can integrate gVim with VS.

Even Microsoft has gotten the message since Ballmer was sent packing.
They are incorporating Linux support in Azure since they realize many of
the VMs are Linux.

Would I recommend Linux to my cousin who can barely cope with email?
Hell no. But I'm not sure she would have any better success with Windows
10.

The advantage of Windows for a new user is the fact that so many people
are using it. As a result, a person can easily find help if they
encounter problems whether in person or online. The fact that it
provides every user with the same interface also ensures that if there
is an error somewhere, SOMEONE will have encountered it the same way you
did.

Since Linux provides so many different interfaces and has so few users,
you're often less in the dust when it comes to finding help with your
problems. Some people might have encountered it, but they might not have
posted the problem onto a newsgroup or an online forum in search of help
or to provide a solution. The same error can manifest itself in
different ways across distributions and desktop environments as well,
causing the solution to be a lot more difficult to find since the source
of the problem is also harder to identify.

--
Slimer
Proud "wintroll"
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair

Jason C. McDonald wrote:

[...]

With trolls like "Tomas", you'll actually also need ordure retardant. :-)

Kinda like boxing a punching bag...you know it's never
going to get KO'd, but you get better at dodging. ;P (Don't worry, I
said my piece and have nothing more on the matter.)

The other reason I responded is if someone hits this conversation on
Google. Trolls generally don't listen to anyone, so I rarely talk for
their benefit.

Thanks for the tip all the same, Peter. Still finding my way around USENET.

Just remember, if someone starts talking crazy, bin them. No use arguing
with or teaching a k00k.

--
Only the fittest survive. The vanquished acknowledge their unworthiness by
placing a classified ad with the ritual phrase "must sell -- best offer,"