Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair
rbowman[_2_] rbowman[_2_] is offline

Default A Perfect Case For NOT Using Linux.

On 06/21/2015 05:57 PM, Snit wrote:
OK, so it is a good techie playground... a good place to learn about
computers and offers great command line shells. That and it can be had at no
cost and, like OS X, the risk of malware is far lower than on Windows.

Anything where it handles tasks better: things where you can show it
benefitting productivity, efficiency, or error-reduction?

you've just answered your own question. We develop on Linux and port the
product to Windows. Why? The development tools on Linux, such as gdb,
valgrind, electric fence, and so forth are superior to what is available
on Windows and are no cost. A Windows memory debugger like Purify is
relatively expensive to license and complex to use. The Windows support
has gotten better over the years, but if you wanted to cross compile for
a PIC or Atmel device, Linux was there with the toolchain.

Amazingly, Windows tools have never been all that great. I've learned to
live with Visual Studio but its editing capabilities are primitive to
say the least. Fortunately you can integrate gVim with VS.

Even Microsoft has gotten the message since Ballmer was sent packing.
They are incorporating Linux support in Azure since they realize many of
the VMs are Linux.

Would I recommend Linux to my cousin who can barely cope with email?
Hell no. But I'm not sure she would have any better success with Windows
10.