Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair
Tomas[_2_] Tomas[_2_] is offline

Default A Perfect Case For NOT Using Linux.

On Sun, 21 Jun 2015 15:25:58 -0700, Jason C. McDonald wrote:

On 06/21/2015 02:59 PM, Tomas wrote:
On Sun, 21 Jun 2015 14:48:24 -0700, Jason C. McDonald wrote:

On 06/21/2015 02:27 PM, Tomas wrote:
A couple of hours a day and after a few months?
Is he ****ing kidding?
Most people don't last a day with Linux after trying it.
Linux is that bad.

It really depends on the distro and the person.

Ok.
But that's part of the problem. So many different Linux distributions
when the facts prove that most people choose from the top 5 or so
anyway.
Wouldn't it make sense to focus and apply the resources to those top
distributions?

No, it doesn't. Windows has some problems because they try to be
everything to everyone at all times. Various Linuxes are for specific
purposes and goals. Ubuntu didn't used to be the top - it used to be an
unknown while Red Hat led the pack. Now Ubuntu is one of the top, but
who knows if one of those quiet leaders might come to the front.

I played with Ubuntu
several years ago, and wound up switching to it full time because I
hated Windows.

Specifically why did you hate Windows.
Did you hate Microsoft?
Viruses?
Security?
Cost?
Poor UI?
?

Yes, yes, yes, yes, as well as the fact that Linux gives far more
control over the system to techs like me. As Eric Raymond says, you
cannot learn how to become a hacker (as in the programmer, not the
criminal) on a proprietary operating system.

That said, I install Linux for people who cannot figure
out Window - as in total computer illiterate. I always give them my card
and full permission to call me if they can't figure something out.

So if they can't figure out Windows, what makes Linux different
enough that they can figure out Linux?

Unity's interface works better for them. It's pretty straight forward
for your average computer use. You can find software and install it
quickly with Ubuntu Software Center, without worrying about price.
Settings are obvious, programs are easily within reach.

For some, Unity is a nightmare. They prefer Windows. Great, that works
for them. I am not one of those people. It's all personal preference,
psychology, and the unique way people are wired mentally. Humans are by
no means predictable. There is no "Universal Serial User".

So far, I've only ever had three calls, and they were always "Oh!
Nevermind, I figured it out myself" when I call back.

But they can't figure out Windows?
Doesn't make sense.
Linux is far more complex and far less supported.
For example, you have never had a call asking how to connect an iPod
to Linux, sync, tag etc like iTunes does?

I find that incredible.

For what they are doing, everything is right there. Music? RhythmBox or
Banshee. Their Android devices just plugged in and worked out of the
box. No driver installation weirdness. Printer? Settings, add printer,
there it is! Print. Web? There's Firefox! Email? There's Thunderbird.
Documents? LibreOffice, New Document. Where'd I put my Christmas
shopping list? Dash, "Christmas shopping", oh, there it is.

Also, without the learning curve of anti-virus, defrag, scan disk, etc,
etc, they were less confused.

Plus, askubuntu.com actually has a lot of tutorials that are easy to
follow for most things non-obvious.

It's different for everyone. Most of these people wind up telling me how
much they LOVE Ubuntu and can't imagine ever using Windows again. I've
even overheard them recommending it to other friends.

Specifics please.

Again, they personally found it easier to use. No viruses. Less
document-devouring crashes. Updates happen quietly and efficiently in
the background. Also, can't beat free.

Beyond that, see above.

But, again, that was specific to their way of thinking and what they
needed to do. I always talked to them and showed them Ubuntu on my
machine, and let them decide. (I have been fixing Windows machines as
well since I was 12 years old...and I'm talking manually removing viruses.)

No operating system is everything to everyone, nor ever will be. But for
me and many people, tech and total-non tech, Linux is a heckovalot
better than Windows for our use. (And, by the way, I do some pretty
heavy-duty production stuff on this tux box.)

I write code for a living. We deal with audio editing, video editing,
animation, repository management, vector graphics, webmastering, and
business administration stuff at my company. We also don't feel like
spending several thousand dollars to do what can be done for free at the
exact same quality level. Plus, we like the UI, UNIX Bash, and the
software that runs on Linux.

(Besides that, I used Visual Studio long enough to learn to hate it for
a plethora of technical and preferential reasons. Don't ask for
specifics, it's a personal decision I made, and I'm one of many coders
who have.)

All in all, it comes down to a personal decision. If you like Windows or
Mac, good for you. Enjoy it. I won't stop you. But, as the old Indian
saying goes, "You don't know a man until you've walked a mile in his
moccasins." You can only speak for your own experience, and for the
experiences others have shared with you. That's all I can do, too.

So, why do I advocate Linux? Because it is right for SOME PEOPLE, and I
believe in showing everyone what Linux honestly is capable of. People
are able to make up their own minds, without us trying to convince them
of the evils of the opposition.

BRAVO!!!!

A FINE example of Linux advocacy!!

You need to stick around here for a while but be ready for the Linux
zealots to attack you because of your moderate opinion.
Shields Up!
Phasers on stun!