Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair
Snit Snit is offline

Default A Perfect Case For NOT Using Linux.

On 6/21/15, 2:48 PM, in article , "Jason C.
McDonald" wrote:

On 06/21/2015 02:27 PM, Tomas wrote:
A couple of hours a day and after a few months?
Is he ****ing kidding?
Most people don't last a day with Linux after trying it.
Linux is that bad.

It really depends on the distro and the person. I played with Ubuntu
several years ago, and wound up switching to it full time because I
hated Windows. That said, I install Linux for people who cannot figure
out Window - as in total computer illiterate. I always give them my card
and full permission to call me if they can't figure something out.

I used to do the same thing - I live in a neighborhood of many older
families (though also others) and offer free tech support. Went through a
fair amount of time when many computers, for whatever reason, where having
significant issues (maybe tied to when Vista was popular... hmmm, come to
think of it I think that is it). Anyway, many of the people did not want to
deal with Windows or had people given them computers but no OS. I installed
Ubuntu for them.

I also used to teach in a high school and set up a Ubuntu lab there (also at
a K-8 school). With the high school students I had Ubuntu CDs I handed out
and would help as needed.

So far, I've only ever had three calls, and they were always "Oh!
Nevermind, I figured it out myself" when I call back.

I used to get a lot more than that. With one friend I made a video on how to
do something he found to be trivial on Windows but could not figure out on
Linux: how to install software from a site. Here is the video:

http://tmp.gallopinginsanity.com/Ubuntu-stuff.mov

He did not live near me so I made the video, but I often had questions from
folks in the neighborhood. As they could afford to they bought new computers
and now, as far as I know, they all run Windows (or OS X). NONE stayed with
Linux.

With that said if they had stayed with Linux that would be fine. And it
served them better than the alternative: nothing. And if you like it then
you should use it. All good by me.

It's different for everyone. Most of these people wind up telling me how
much they LOVE Ubuntu and can't imagine ever using Windows again. I've
even overheard them recommending it to other friends.

Very different from what I have seen and what the stats show. Any idea what
it is they - or you - like about Ubuntu? Anything it does to help your
productivity, efficiency, or error-reduction better than the competition?

No operating system is everything to everyone, nor ever will be. But for
me and many people, tech and total-non tech, Linux is a heckovalot
better than Windows for our use. (And, by the way, I do some pretty
heavy-duty production stuff on this tux box.)

I would love to see Linux get to the point of competing well... but for now
it has only about 1.5% of the usage, and that is including many people who
have the option to use it or nothing. And is including all distros
*combined*. It is not as if Ubuntu has gotten that high or Mint or PCLOS or
whatever.

But I keep hoping.

--
* Mint MATE Trash, Panel, Menu: http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE