Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.home.repair
chrisv chrisv is offline

Default A Perfect Case For NOT Using Linux.

Brian Reay wrote:

I still have an old Windows PC to support some legacy SW which doesn't
run on Linux (I don't like Wine), some of it is even DOS based. More
sacrilege in the eyes of some but that is their problem, not mine.
I use computers for my pleasure, not someone else's. After 35+ years
(longer if I include University and school) in working environments
where someone dictated IT policies, I'm not going to be told which OS I
can use by some wannabee geek regardless of what he is promoting.

I promote Linux to people I know, mainly fellow radio amateurs, and used
to encourage my pupils who were computer geeks to try it.
I'm not anti-MS or Apple nor do I promote them.

There's certainly nothing wrong with using whatever works best for
you, regardless if it's open- or closed-source. OSS is never going
to be the best choice in all situations.

FOSS does not need the charity of "zealots" to succeed. It only needs
something resembling a level playing-field in the market.

--
"(cola is) attacked because it's a cess pit of second hand news,
paranoia and anti-MS lunacy by a bunch of know nothing, contribute