Posted to alt.home.repair

Default One hose portable AC?

A friend's air conditioning has failed and she doesn't have the money to
replace the compressor etc.

So she's looking at so-called portable AC One unit she saw looks nice,
has the right controls plus remote, but only has an output hose. One of
the laymen reviewing it makes that a deal breaker, that it doesnt have
an input hose also to the window.

Because this means it will suck hot air in from the outside, but that
won't be the same air expelled.

This makes sense to be but maybe it's not as bad as the reviewer makes
it sound. If hot air is sucked in through its own hose, the AC won't be
able to add as much heat to the hot air as it would to te room
temperature air, and that will lower the efficiency of the AC. It will
also lower its speed of heating the room it's in, although it will raise
to some extent the temperature of the rooms it's not in, depending on
where the outside air infittrates.

Normally she keeps the basement window (10 inhces high near the ceiling
of the basement) open all summer, and the other major place is the mail
slot in the front door. It has an inner metal flap and an outer metal
flap but no foam in either flapway. (Maybe if I looked at it some more,
I could figure out how to add foam that wouldn't either keep the mail
out or get knocked off by the income mail.) Also the weather stripping
in her laterallly open window probably won't work as well when she has
to open one window and one storm window for the hose output.

Do you think one hose AC is terrrible and should avoided at all cost?

About half of the machines out there are one hose. Admittedly, the
cheaper ones, but she doesn't want to spend too much either.

Her b-room is 14 x 19 = 266 plus if she leaves the little bathroom door
open that's about another 30 feet2. IOW about 300 sq.feet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 23, 2014 9:29:13 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
[...]

I will definitely take a hit on efficiency because of the reasons you
cite. It takes cool house air, uses a blower to push it past the hot
coils and then out the house. That air is then replaced by hot outside
air coming into the house. How much that winds up costing her would
depend on how much she uses it, how much eff is lost, and what electric
rates are. And that would have to be compared to the cost difference of
a two hose one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
micky belched:
A friend's air conditioning has failed and she doesn't have the money
to replace the compressor etc.

So she's looking at so-called portable AC One unit she saw looks
nice, has the right controls plus remote, but only has an output
hose. One of the laymen reviewing it makes that a deal breaker, that
it doesnt have an input hose also to the window.

tell her to save her money and just buy a window unit.
i saw test results of the so called portables and they were not good.
They barely cooled the rooms more than about 10 degrees cooler that the
outside temps.
Even the most expensive Westinghouse ($500) didn't get the job done.
Get a window unit and forget it
jmo

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/23/2014 9:29 PM, micky wrote:
A friend's air conditioning has failed and she doesn't have the money to
replace the compressor etc.

So she's looking at so-called portable AC One unit she saw looks nice,
has the right controls plus remote, but only has an output hose. One of
the laymen reviewing it makes that a deal breaker, that it doesnt have
an input hose also to the window.

Do you think one hose AC is terrrible and should avoided at all cost?

About half of the machines out there are one hose. Admittedly, the
cheaper ones, but she doesn't want to spend too much either.

Must be in a condo, or HOA? I find window AC
start about $110 at Walmart. But some places
don't allow window AC. I'd expect a one hose
to provide comfort in one room, and that's what
counts.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote in
:

A friend's air conditioning has failed and she doesn't have the money to
replace the compressor etc.

So she's looking at so-called portable AC One unit she saw looks nice,
has the right controls plus remote, but only has an output hose.

I've had two of those single-hose portable A/C units.

They work just fine -- for one room only. They don't have the volume to
cool two rooms.

They do take longer than a window unit or central A/C to cool that one
room, but they do work, even at ambient temperatures of 100F.

It is important that the exhaust-hose be sealed where it meets the window
to prevent the hot exhaust air from re-entering the room, which would
increase cooling time. For me, this meant cutting up some corrugated
cardboard to fit, and stuffing some Kleenex in the gaps left over. The
units came with some hardware to seal-off the exhaust hose, but this
hardware didn't fit my windows, hence the cardboard.

--
Tegger

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 21:14:56 -0500, "ChairMan"
wrote:

In ,
micky belched:
A friend's air conditioning has failed and she doesn't have the money
to replace the compressor etc.

So she's looking at so-called portable AC One unit she saw looks
nice, has the right controls plus remote, but only has an output
hose. One of the laymen reviewing it makes that a deal breaker, that
it doesnt have an input hose also to the window.

tell her to save her money and just buy a window unit.

Thanks for the answer. The thing is, she has no one to put in a window
unit and that includes me. The one time I did that was in my apartment
in Brooklyn, and the first thing I did was nail** a shelf to the wooden
outside window sill, with a small block of wood to make it horizontal.
Then I put in the AC and when I let go of it, there was no chance it was
going to fall out of the window. (It also meant I could open the
window in the spring and fall, and the AC just sat there. I don't know
why everyone doesn't do it this way.)

But she has no outside window sill at all. and 80% of the weight of
those things is outside. It's the second floor, not the fifth floor
like in Brooklyn, but I still can't do it. (The windows slide
horizontally/)

**With nails at opposing angles so they couldn't be pulled out by the
shelf. Prior to the AC I had put in a shelf in the kitchen to hold a
little charcoal grill. That was more interesting. The drug addicts***
next door saw the charcoal lighter burning, and I'm glad to say called a
neighbor of mine instead of the fire department. (Probably because it
looked like a charcoal grill and not like an apartment on fire.) And
another time when I shut the window to keep out the smell of burning
charcoal lighter, the heat broke the window. But in 11 years in that
building, that's all I broke.)

***Literally drug addicts, everyone who lived there except maybe the
staff. Part of Teen Challenge ("The Cross and the Switchblade")

i saw test results of the so called portables and they were not good.
They barely cooled the rooms more than about 10 degrees cooler that the
outside temps.
Even the most expensive Westinghouse ($500) didn't get the job done.
Get a window unit and forget it
jmo

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/24/2014 8:35 AM, micky wrote:
Thanks for the answer. The thing is, she has no one to put in a window
unit and that includes me. The one time I did that was in my apartment
in Brooklyn, and the first thing I did was nail** a shelf to the wooden
outside window sill, with a small block of wood to make it horizontal.
Then I put in the AC and when I let go of it, there was no chance it was
going to fall out of the window. (It also meant I could open the
window in the spring and fall, and the AC just sat there. I don't know
why everyone doesn't do it this way.)

But she has no outside window sill at all. and 80% of the weight of
those things is outside. It's the second floor, not the fifth floor
like in Brooklyn, but I still can't do it. (The windows slide
horizontally/)

Those horizontal sliders need a "casement" AC.
Which are made, but not as easy to find.

Sounds like the hose thing is going to be the
only answer. Since you don't have anyone to
put in AC, how will she carry the unit in
and take it out of the box?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 7:02:38 AM UTC-5, Tegger wrote:

They do take longer than a window unit or central A/C to cool that one

room, but they do work, even at ambient temperatures of 100F.

It is important that the exhaust-hose be sealed where it meets the window

to prevent the hot exhaust air from re-entering the room, which would

increase cooling time. For me, this meant cutting up some corrugated

cardboard to fit, and stuffing some Kleenex in the gaps left over. The

units came with some hardware to seal-off the exhaust hose, but this

hardware didn't fit my windows, hence the cardboard.

--

Tegger

I have 2 single hose AC units (8&12BTU)...the larger cools 2 rooms (625sf) comfortably. It wouldn't run in a standard 15A outlet though, I had to re-wire a dryer outlet so it had its own circuit. We have crank-out windows! 8^O
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 12:02:38 +0000 (UTC), Tegger
wrote:

micky wrote in
:

A friend's air conditioning has failed and she doesn't have the money to
replace the compressor etc.

So she's looking at so-called portable AC One unit she saw looks nice,
has the right controls plus remote, but only has an output hose.

I've had two of those single-hose portable A/C units.

They work just fine -- for one room only. They don't have the volume to
cool two rooms.

One room would be enough. That's pretty much all she uses anyhow,
except for the bathroom, and I called her this morning and she said a)
the bathroom was never a problem. Being hot for a while is not a
problem. The problem was sleeping all night in the heat, and having no
refuge to go to in the daytime except the basement, whether there is no
place good to lie down. b) if she has to, she can start using the
bathroom that connects with her bedroom. It's small (~30 sq. ft. as I
think I said) and will probably cool off when the room does if the door
is left open.

They do take longer than a window unit or central A/C to cool that one
room, but they do work, even at ambient temperatures of 100F.

It is important that the exhaust-hose be sealed where it meets the window
to prevent the hot exhaust air from re-entering the room, which would
increase cooling time. For me, this meant cutting up some corrugated
cardboard to fit, and stuffing some Kleenex in the gaps left over. The
units came with some hardware to seal-off the exhaust hose, but this
hardware didn't fit my windows, hence the cardboard.

Okay. She was also worried about the noise, but suggested herself that
she could turn it on in advance and maybe not have to run it at when
she's sleeping. Some of them have sleep timers or On timers or both.

Thanks, and thanks to all.

I'm thinking most of the air will enter through the open basement window
-- 200 times as big as the openings in the mail slot -- where it will
be cooled by the constant 64 degrees in the basement before it
eventually gets upstairs.

In fact I met a guy who said he got good results cooling his upstairs
just by letting his furnace fan run, bringing up cool air from the
basement. I suggested that years ago hear and got shot down by
everyone, but he says it works.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 05:49:38 -0700 (PDT), BenDarrenBach
wrote:

[...]

Thanks. One that says it's 12btu also says it runs on 12 or 13 amps.
You've warned me and I'll make sure she doesn't buy one that uses 15 or
more. (I'm going to pick it up and bring it home too, unless she gets
one by mail.) I don't know what else she has on the circuit she would
use.

Did you or Tegger notice the rest of your home getting hotter when you
used these?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 8:13:41 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:

I have 2 single hose AC units (8&12BTU)...the larger cools 2 rooms (625sf) comfortably. It wouldn't run in a standard 15A outlet though, I had to re-wire a dryer outlet so it had its own circuit. We have crank-out windows! 8^O

Thanks. One that says it's 12btu also says it runs on 12 or 13 amps.

You've warned me and I'll make sure she doesn't buy one that uses 15 or

more. (I'm going to pick it up and bring it home too, unless she gets

one by mail.) I don't know what else she has on the circuit she would

use.

Did you or Tegger notice the rest of your home getting hotter when you

used these?

No...our house is well insulated and sealed (vented eaves and peak vents).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/24/2014 9:07 AM, micky wrote:
But she has no outside window sill at all. and 80% of the weight of
those things is outside. It's the second floor, not the fifth floor
like in Brooklyn, but I still can't do it. (The windows slide
horizontally/)

Those horizontal sliders need a "casement" AC.
Which are made, but not as easy to find.

Sounds like the hose thing is going to be the
only answer. Since you don't have anyone to
put in AC, how will she carry the unit in
and take it out of the box?

That I will do.

She's fortunate to have good friends.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 8:46:35 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

I didn't see where he said she has horizontal casement
windows. We don't know where it goes, only that she has
no one to put it in for her. The vast majority of window ACs don't
need some wood platform built outside to hold it. They also
don't weigh anywhere near what old ones used to weigh.

If it's a regular window, then I think the best solution
would be to find someone local that can set it in the window for
her, take it out, it's just twice a year. There are probably other
things that she also needs done that such a person would be useful for too.

Sounds like the hose thing is going to be the

only answer. Since you don't have anyone to

put in AC, how will she carry the unit in

and take it out of the box?

I was kind of wondering that too. And there still could be
some fitment issue, if it's some window type that it's not
exactly made to fit, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 08:51:38 -0400, micky
wrote:
I'm thinking most of the air will enter through the open basement window
-- 200 times as big as the openings in the mail slot -- where it will
be cooled by the constant 64 degrees in the basement before it
eventually gets upstairs.

That may very well be correct, but don't forget about humidity. In
hot humid climates, the temperature often approaches the dewpoint at
night. When the outside air is very humid and you bring it into the
basement, it could easily cool down to the dewpoint temerature and
condense on walls, pipes, and anything else down there. You can
damage things stored in the basement and encourage mold and mildew
problems.

Pat

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote in
news

Did you or Tegger notice the rest of your home getting hotter when you
used these?

Nope. At least not that we noticed; we were only concerned with cooling
that one room, which was a bedroom. We didn't mind sweltering during the
day, but trying to sleep in 90+ temperatures was impossible.

And both of our units ran off a standard 120V/15A wall outlet.

--
Tegger

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote in
news

She was also worried about the noise, but suggested herself
that she could turn it on in advance and maybe not have to run it at
when she's sleeping. Some of them have sleep timers or On timers or
both.

You do get used to the noise, which is about the same as a window unit.

I'm thinking most of the air will enter through the open basement
window -- 200 times as big as the openings in the mail slot -- where
it will be cooled by the constant 64 degrees in the basement before it
eventually gets upstairs.

We never bothered with any of that. It's more important to keep the newly-
cooled air inside the room than it is to give the room a particular
temperature of feed-air.

Just keep the room-door closed to allow the cool air to stay inside and the
room will cool to the point where you will eventually want to pull the
blankets over you. Those portables are pretty effective for one room;
you'll have noticeable cooling in about ten minutes, with the door kept
shut.

The portables also operate as dehumidifiers, which makes them really handy
in the basement once you have your normal A/C back.

Two isses I've found with the portables:
1) They're very heavy and bulky. It takes a man to lug them up and down
stairs, and even he's going to need to work at it..
2) Moving them too abruptly can cause their water reservoirs to slosh and
spill on the carpet, which is a bit of a nuisance..

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pat wrote in news:6b1jq9lmb75q93dmue6c24acfbiai4njok@
4ax.com:

don't forget about humidity. In
hot humid climates, the temperature often approaches the dewpoint at
night. When the outside air is very humid and you bring it into the
basement, it could easily cool down to the dewpoint temerature and
condense on walls, pipes, and anything else down there. You can
damage things stored in the basement and encourage mold and mildew
problems.

That doesn't happen. The room being cooled ends up dryer than the rest of
the house, which remains only as moist as it would be anyway in the absence
of the portable.

The units act as dehumidifiers even in A/C mode, which is why the reservoir
fills up and needs to be emptied once in a while. Remember, portables can't
simply let their water drip outside, but must drip their water into an
internal pan instead.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 14:32:25 +0000 (UTC), Tegger
wrote:

[...]

I wasn't talking about the room being cooled. It should be pleasant
(both lower temp and lower humidity). I was responding to the comment
that air would be drawn in through the basement windows to replace the
hot air exhausted from the A/C in the bedroom.

Am I correct in assuming a "one hose" A/C exhausts hot air from the
condenser coil through that one hose, but uses inside air to feed
that?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I didn't see that in the later post. I've put regular AC into
a casement window, the essential difference was that I had to cut
a piece of plywood to fit the open part of the window above the AC.
Not hard, but it is more work and something Auntie isn't going to do
herself. There are also ACs designed for casement, but they cost
more too.

I guess she could buy one of those "miracle coolers" that utilize
the latest breakthrough in Chinese technology. You know, like the
scammers that sell the "miracle heaters", with the Amish made
mantles in the winter...... I think the cooler amounts to an ice
pack that you put in the freezer, then put in front of a fan in
the miracle unit. Cools for just pennies a day.......
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pat wrote in
:

Am I correct in assuming a "one hose" A/C exhausts hot air from the
condenser coil through that one hose, but uses inside air to feed
that?

Yes.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 9:32:25 AM UTC-5, Tegger wrote:

The units act as dehumidifiers even in A/C mode, which is why the reservoir

fills up and needs to be emptied once in a while. Remember, portables can't

simply let their water drip outside, but must drip their water into an

internal pan instead.

Tegger

Just to add...I haven't yet (3rd season) had to drain either unit of water! They will indicate if they fill and shut-off (hasn't happened). The units are said to have ultra-sonic water dispersion thru the exhaust hose...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 08:51:36 -0700 (PDT), BenDarrenBach
wrote:

On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 9:32:25 AM UTC-5, Tegger wrote:

The units act as dehumidifiers even in A/C mode, which is why the reservoir

fills up and needs to be emptied once in a while. Remember, portables can't

simply let their water drip outside, but must drip their water into an

internal pan instead.

Tegger

Just to add...I haven't yet (3rd season) had to drain either unit of water! They will indicate if they fill and shut-off (hasn't happened). The units are said to have ultra-sonic water dispersion thru the exhaust hose...

very interesting.

One that I looked at on line had "self-evaporation" but I think it, or
another one?, also had a place for a tube at the bottom and a garden
hose about a foot up.

Another one I looked at came with RCA, Magnavox, Sylvania, and Keystone
brand names on it.

As to the basement rust, Pat, we've both had floods of various sorts
inthe basement and it didn't lead to rust, but if worst comes to worst,
she can close her basement window.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 08:33:08 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

I guess she could buy one of those "miracle coolers" that utilize
the latest breakthrough in Chinese technology. You know, like the
scammers that sell the "miracle heaters", with the Amish made
mantles in the winter...... I think the cooler amounts to an ice
pack that you put in the freezer, then put in front of a fan in
the miracle unit. Cools for just pennies a day.......

I think I read here that the miracle coolers work. Not by ice. They
plug into the cigarette lighter and use a thermocouple. The same thing
that will make electricity when it gets hot, will make cold when one
runs electricity through it. Or something like that.

They make great picnic coolers, and I think the motels I stayed in 2
summers ago all had them. Those fridges made no noise at all, but
still kept food cold and ice icey in the ice compartment. (They might
have made ice, but I didn't try.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tegger wrote:
[...]

I think he meant condensation will form in the basement area , not the
area being cooled . I can see that happening , just as when I open my shop
that's cooled all night and it's 90%/90° outside I get condensation on my
machine tools . I keep the door closed until it's as warm inside as out not
really well insulated converted freestanding metal carport . Or turn on the
window unit and keep the door closed .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I guess she could buy one of those "miracle coolers" that utilize

the latest breakthrough in Chinese technology. You know, like the

scammers that sell the "miracle heaters", with the Amish made

mantles in the winter...... I think the cooler amounts to an ice

pack that you put in the freezer, then put in front of a fan in

the miracle unit. Cools for just pennies a day.......

I think I read here that the miracle coolers work. Not by ice. They

plug into the cigarette lighter and use a thermocouple. The same thing

that will make electricity when it gets hot, will make cold when one

runs electricity through it. Or something like that.

No, I don't know of anyone marketing a room cooler that plugs into your car.
This is an example of the crap I'm talking about:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...ment/index.htm

In the winter, similar shysters sell miracle electric heaters, with space
age technology from China.

They make great picnic coolers, and I think the motels I stayed in 2

summers ago all had them. Those fridges made no noise at all, but

still kept food cold and ice icey in the ice compartment. (They might

have made ice, but I didn't try.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 9:32:25 AM UTC-5, Tegger wrote:

The units act as dehumidifiers even in A/C mode, which is why the reservoir

fills up and needs to be emptied once in a while. Remember, portables can't

simply let their water drip outside, but must drip their water into an

internal pan instead.

Tegger

Just to add...I haven't yet (3rd season) had to drain either unit of water! They will indicate if they fill and shut-off (hasn't happened). The units are said to have ultra-sonic water dispersion thru the exhaust hose...

very interesting.

That sounds very good. What brand, model do you have?

One that I looked at on line had "self-evaporation" but I think it, or
another one?, also had a place for a tube at the bottom and a garden
hose about a foot up.

It is the same model, not another one, but they might have changed the
design. A new one is advertised as having "The no-bucket design" but
otoh that might just mean there's no bucket but a hose. Clever these
ad copywriters.

Another one I looked at came with RCA, Magnavox, Sylvania, and Keystone
brand names on it.

As to the basement rust, Pat, we've both had floods of various sorts
inthe basement and it didn't lead to rust, but if worst comes to worst,
she can close her basement window.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"trader_4" wrote in message
I think I read here that the miracle coolers work. Not by ice. They

plug into the cigarette lighter and use a thermocouple. The same thing

that will make electricity when it gets hot, will make cold when one

runs electricity through it. Or something like that.

No, I don't know of anyone marketing a room cooler that plugs into your
car.
This is an example of the crap I'm talking about:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...ment/index.htm

In the winter, similar shysters sell miracle electric heaters, with space
age technology from China.

That 'swamp cooler' may have some effect in dry areas of the country, but in
humid areas all it will do is make things worse.

The device that may plug into a car lighter socket is based on the Peltier
effect. Sort of a solid state heat pump. A special diode like device that
one side gets cool and the other side gets hot. I have seen coolers made
from them and where I worked we had a piece of test equipment that used one
so we could calibrate some instrumentation.
I don't know how practical it would be to make one room size, but doubt it
could be done without large ammounts of money spent. Not sure how efficent
it may be either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 11:49:14 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:

That sounds very good. What brand, model do you have?

http://alatest.com/reviews/air-condi...158858711,349/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/24/2014 10:47 AM, Pat wrote:

Am I correct in assuming a "one hose" A/C exhausts hot air from the
condenser coil through that one hose, but uses inside air to feed
that?

That's my understanding.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/24/2014 12:41 PM, micky wrote:
I think I read here that the miracle coolers work. Not by ice. They
plug into the cigarette lighter and use a thermocouple. The same thing
that will make electricity when it gets hot, will make cold when one
runs electricity through it. Or something like that.

They make great picnic coolers, and I think the motels I stayed in 2
summers ago all had them. Those fridges made no noise at all, but
still kept food cold and ice icey in the ice compartment. (They might
have made ice, but I didn't try.)

Peletaire junction, probably spelled wrong.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 4:14:28 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Peletaire junction, probably spelled wrong.

Ralph answered that and he spelled it correctly...so he gets 100 points!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote in message ...
[...]

If you're talking about the kind that sits on the floor and has a 4-6 inch hose that you run out the window.... I've got one and would never get another like it.

It cools just fine, but the condensate drain is 3-inches from the floor and has to drain into a pan or through a tube you have to run along the floor to outside. It's a royal pain to use. Don't even get started with one of those.

Some of these type models claim to 're-evaporate' the condensate, but I don't believe them.

You'll be mopping up water I guaranteed it with either one of these.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 12:11:04 -0700 (PDT), BenDarrenBach
wrote:

On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 11:49:14 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:

That sounds very good. What brand, model do you have?

http://alatest.com/reviews/air-condi...158858711,349/

Thanks. a lot.

Did you see what one guy's con was

"Humidity evaporator is not a reason to purchase this product. I have to
empty the humidity tank every 2-3 hours. The pipe for emptying the
humidity tank is very close to the ground. With a carpet the pipe is
actually on the carpet, so I have to lift..."

You're lucky yours works so well, or you live in the desert. grin

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/24/2014 8:51 AM, micky wrote:
On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 12:02:38 +0000 (UTC), Tegger
wrote:

micky wrote in
:

[...]

If this was addressed I missed it (sorry) - does she own the house? If
so, would she consider doing a "through the wall" unit? My last (row)
house had two of those in the two main bedrooms and I really liked them
because I could still use the regular windows if I wanted. Someone had
made an a/c sized hole in the wall under the window, put in a window
unit and just framed in somehow around it. Of course, someone would have
to make the hole in the wall, but at least it's a one time deal. When I
had to get one replaced, I could just buy a regular window unit and the
appliance store I bought it from installed it. They really only worked
for one room each, although when I felt clever, I'd hang a tension
curtain rod at the top of the stairs and hang a piece of plastic, which
actually did a decent job of keeping the cooler air on the second floor
when I ran both units.

Otherwise since the basement is cooler, is there a way to configure a
whole house window fan and have it pull air from the basement? I lucked
out in that house because I had a laundry chute that I left open as a
big air duct. (I don't mean a regular window fan; they make/made window
exhast fans that sounded like small airplanes and were pretty powerful).

I hope you can figure something out to help her. Nothing worse than
being hot and sticky while you're trying to sleep.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 8:11:03 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:

You're lucky yours works so well, or you live in the desert. grin

I've setup 4 of these units (in the Mid-West) and none had a issue were they even stopped because they needed to be drained...so do as you wish!
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote in
:

wrote:

On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 11:49:14 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:

That sounds very good. What brand, model do you have?

http://alatest.com/reviews/air-condi...y-120e1-sg-pac
-12e1-12-000-btu-portable-ac-air-conditioner-dehumidifier-fan/po3-15885
8711,349/

Thanks. a lot.

Did you see what one guy's con was

"Humidity evaporator is not a reason to purchase this product. I have
to empty the humidity tank every 2-3 hours. The pipe for emptying the
humidity tank is very close to the ground. With a carpet the pipe is
actually on the carpet, so I have to lift..."

I wonder what model he's got. Ours both had some sort of evaporator built
into the condensate pan, and water never built up to the point where it
needed to be manually emptied. Thus, like BenDarrenBach, I never actually
had to empty the pan. But it would slosh over slightly if the unit was
moved too suddenly.

We bought both our units at Costco, which tends to carry high-quality
merchandise.

By the way, we have neither of them any more, since we now have central
air.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 16:59:14 -0800, "Guv Bob"
wrote:

"micky" wrote in message ...
[...]

I have to reread the manual for the one we saw in person, a Sylvania
P-12PE (I"ve also seen pictures of it under RCA, another brand, and the
one she saw in person was labeled Magnavox.) Anyhow, it seems to have
to outputs, one over a foot high and one just above the floor. When it
beeps 8 times, the AC turns off, the fan runs, and you have to empty the
lower one. How that happens if you have a hose connected to the one a
foot high, I don't know.

Before that, about the higher drain, it says "install the drain
connector(5/8 universal female mender) with
3 4 hose"

I've never seen mender used like this before, and the machine we saw had
a male connector anyhow. The English in the manual is good, but not
perfect. Maybe this is just an error in English.

Some of these type models claim to 're-evaporate' the condensate, but I don't believe them.

You'll be mopping up water I guaranteed it with either one of these.

Well that's not good, especially since the room is carpeted.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 18:23:48 -0700 (PDT), BenDarrenBach
wrote:

On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 8:11:03 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:

You're lucky yours works so well, or you live in the desert. grin

I've setup 4 of these units (in the Mid-West) and none had a issue were they even stopped because they needed to be drained...so do as you wish!

I tried not to sound snotty.

OTOH, maybe that guy I quoted lives in the Amazon jungle.