Posted to alt.home.repair
Tegger[_4_] Tegger[_4_] is offline

Default One hose portable AC?

micky wrote in
news

She was also worried about the noise, but suggested herself
that she could turn it on in advance and maybe not have to run it at
when she's sleeping. Some of them have sleep timers or On timers or
both.

You do get used to the noise, which is about the same as a window unit.

I'm thinking most of the air will enter through the open basement
window -- 200 times as big as the openings in the mail slot -- where
it will be cooled by the constant 64 degrees in the basement before it
eventually gets upstairs.

We never bothered with any of that. It's more important to keep the newly-
cooled air inside the room than it is to give the room a particular
temperature of feed-air.

Just keep the room-door closed to allow the cool air to stay inside and the
room will cool to the point where you will eventually want to pull the
blankets over you. Those portables are pretty effective for one room;
you'll have noticeable cooling in about ten minutes, with the door kept
shut.

The portables also operate as dehumidifiers, which makes them really handy
in the basement once you have your normal A/C back.

Two isses I've found with the portables:
1) They're very heavy and bulky. It takes a man to lug them up and down
stairs, and even he's going to need to work at it..
2) Moving them too abruptly can cause their water reservoirs to slosh and
spill on the carpet, which is a bit of a nuisance..

--
Tegger