Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default One hose portable AC? (repost for Trader)

"trader_4" wrote in message
I think I read here that the miracle coolers work. Not by ice. They

plug into the cigarette lighter and use a thermocouple. The same thing

that will make electricity when it gets hot, will make cold when one

runs electricity through it. Or something like that.

No, I don't know of anyone marketing a room cooler that plugs into your
car.
This is an example of the crap I'm talking about:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...ment/index.htm

In the winter, similar shysters sell miracle electric heaters, with space
age technology from China.

That 'swamp cooler' may have some effect in dry areas of the country, but in
humid areas all it will do is make things worse.

The device that may plug into a car lighter socket is based on the Peltier
effect. Sort of a solid state heat pump. A special diode like device that
one side gets cool and the other side gets hot. I have seen coolers made
from them and where I worked we had a piece of test equipment that used one
so we could calibrate some instrumentation.
I don't know how practical it would be to make one room size, but doubt it
could be done without large ammounts of money spent. Not sure how efficent
it may be either.