Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat[_9_] Pat[_9_] is offline

Default One hose portable AC?

On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 14:32:25 +0000 (UTC), Tegger
wrote:

Pat wrote in news:6b1jq9lmb75q93dmue6c24acfbiai4njok@
4ax.com:

don't forget about humidity. In
hot humid climates, the temperature often approaches the dewpoint at
night. When the outside air is very humid and you bring it into the
basement, it could easily cool down to the dewpoint temerature and
condense on walls, pipes, and anything else down there. You can
damage things stored in the basement and encourage mold and mildew
problems.

That doesn't happen. The room being cooled ends up dryer than the rest of
the house, which remains only as moist as it would be anyway in the absence
of the portable.

The units act as dehumidifiers even in A/C mode, which is why the reservoir
fills up and needs to be emptied once in a while. Remember, portables can't
simply let their water drip outside, but must drip their water into an
internal pan instead.

I wasn't talking about the room being cooled. It should be pleasant
(both lower temp and lower humidity). I was responding to the comment
that air would be drawn in through the basement windows to replace the
hot air exhausted from the A/C in the bedroom.

Am I correct in assuming a "one hose" A/C exhausts hot air from the
condenser coil through that one hose, but uses inside air to feed
that?