Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default One hose portable AC?

On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 05:49:38 -0700 (PDT), BenDarrenBach
wrote:

On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 7:02:38 AM UTC-5, Tegger wrote:

They do take longer than a window unit or central A/C to cool that one

room, but they do work, even at ambient temperatures of 100F.

It is important that the exhaust-hose be sealed where it meets the window

to prevent the hot exhaust air from re-entering the room, which would

increase cooling time. For me, this meant cutting up some corrugated

cardboard to fit, and stuffing some Kleenex in the gaps left over. The

units came with some hardware to seal-off the exhaust hose, but this

hardware didn't fit my windows, hence the cardboard.

--

Tegger

I have 2 single hose AC units (8&12BTU)...the larger cools 2 rooms (625sf) comfortably. It wouldn't run in a standard 15A outlet though, I had to re-wire a dryer outlet so it had its own circuit. We have crank-out windows! 8^O

Thanks. One that says it's 12btu also says it runs on 12 or 13 amps.
You've warned me and I'll make sure she doesn't buy one that uses 15 or
more. (I'm going to pick it up and bring it home too, unless she gets
one by mail.) I don't know what else she has on the circuit she would
use.

Did you or Tegger notice the rest of your home getting hotter when you
used these?