Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default One hose portable AC?

On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 8:46:35 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 6/24/2014 8:35 AM, micky wrote:

Thanks for the answer. The thing is, she has no one to put in a window

unit and that includes me. The one time I did that was in my apartment

in Brooklyn, and the first thing I did was nail** a shelf to the wooden

outside window sill, with a small block of wood to make it horizontal.

Then I put in the AC and when I let go of it, there was no chance it was

going to fall out of the window. (It also meant I could open the

window in the spring and fall, and the AC just sat there. I don't know

why everyone doesn't do it this way.)

But she has no outside window sill at all. and 80% of the weight of

those things is outside. It's the second floor, not the fifth floor

like in Brooklyn, but I still can't do it. (The windows slide

horizontally/)

Those horizontal sliders need a "casement" AC.

Which are made, but not as easy to find.

I didn't see where he said she has horizontal casement
windows. We don't know where it goes, only that she has
no one to put it in for her. The vast majority of window ACs don't
need some wood platform built outside to hold it. They also
don't weigh anywhere near what old ones used to weigh.

If it's a regular window, then I think the best solution
would be to find someone local that can set it in the window for
her, take it out, it's just twice a year. There are probably other
things that she also needs done that such a person would be useful for too.

Sounds like the hose thing is going to be the

only answer. Since you don't have anyone to

put in AC, how will she carry the unit in

and take it out of the box?

I was kind of wondering that too. And there still could be
some fitment issue, if it's some window type that it's not
exactly made to fit, etc.