Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default One hose portable AC? (repost for Trader)

On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 10:26:25 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 6/24/2014 9:07 AM, micky wrote:

On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 08:46:35 -0400, Stormin Mormon

wrote:

On 6/24/2014 8:35 AM, micky wrote:

Thanks for the answer. The thing is, she has no one to put in a window

unit and that includes me. The one time I did that was in my apartment

in Brooklyn, and the first thing I did was nail** a shelf to the wooden

outside window sill, with a small block of wood to make it horizontal.

Then I put in the AC and when I let go of it, there was no chance it was

going to fall out of the window. (It also meant I could open the

window in the spring and fall, and the AC just sat there. I don't know

why everyone doesn't do it this way.)

But she has no outside window sill at all. and 80% of the weight of

those things is outside. It's the second floor, not the fifth floor

like in Brooklyn, but I still can't do it. (The windows slide

horizontally/)

Those horizontal sliders need a "casement" AC.

Which are made, but not as easy to find.

Sounds like the hose thing is going to be the

only answer. Since you don't have anyone to

put in AC, how will she carry the unit in

and take it out of the box?

That I will do.

"the windows slide horizontally/"

I didn't see that in the later post. I've put regular AC into
a casement window, the essential difference was that I had to cut
a piece of plywood to fit the open part of the window above the AC.
Not hard, but it is more work and something Auntie isn't going to do
herself. There are also ACs designed for casement, but they cost
more too.

I guess she could buy one of those "miracle coolers" that utilize
the latest breakthrough in Chinese technology. You know, like the
scammers that sell the "miracle heaters", with the Amish made
mantles in the winter...... I think the cooler amounts to an ice
pack that you put in the freezer, then put in front of a fan in
the miracle unit. Cools for just pennies a day.......