Posted to alt.home.repair

Default One hose portable AC?

Tegger wrote:
Pat wrote in news:6b1jq9lmb75q93dmue6c24acfbiai4njok@
4ax.com:

don't forget about humidity. In
hot humid climates, the temperature often approaches the dewpoint at
night. When the outside air is very humid and you bring it into the
basement, it could easily cool down to the dewpoint temerature and
condense on walls, pipes, and anything else down there. You can
damage things stored in the basement and encourage mold and mildew
problems.

That doesn't happen. The room being cooled ends up dryer than the
rest of the house, which remains only as moist as it would be anyway
in the absence of the portable.

The units act as dehumidifiers even in A/C mode, which is why the
reservoir fills up and needs to be emptied once in a while. Remember,
portables can't simply let their water drip outside, but must drip
their water into an internal pan instead.

I think he meant condensation will form in the basement area , not the
area being cooled . I can see that happening , just as when I open my shop
that's cooled all night and it's 90%/90° outside I get condensation on my
machine tools . I keep the door closed until it's as warm inside as out not
really well insulated converted freestanding metal carport . Or turn on the
window unit and keep the door closed .

--
Snag