Posted to alt.home.repair

Default More on Texas' 85-mph speed limit

On 11/20/2012 7:43 AM, HeyBub wrote:
Fat-Dumb and Happy wrote:
HeyBub wrote:

Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go? Around 30% less gas
mileage at 85 mph
http://www.mpgforspeed.com/

Suppose your destination is 85 miles away and gas costs $3.00/gallon. At 25
miles/gallon, you get there in one hour at a cost of $10.20.

Now, at 55mph, the trip takes 1.5 hours and $12.75 worth of gas, a $2.55
difference.

So, at the expense of an additional half-hour, you save $2.55 or $5.10 per
hour.

If you're going to a job that pays more than about $5/hr, you're financially
ahead to drive 85.

But that would only be if we are driving a heybub vehicle that can
violate the laws of physics and move at a faster speed without requiring
additional energy that none of us except you have..

Its pretty simple. It takes increasing amounts of energy to move an
object such as a car at a faster speed:

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars...l-economy.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Fat-Dumb and Happy" wrote in message

Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go? Around 30% less gas
mileage at 85 mph
http://www.mpgforspeed.com/

My time is worth more to me than the ammount of extra gas cost. I try not
to go more than 5 mph over the speed limit because I do not want a ticket.
However if the speed limit was 100 mph I would drive it.

There may be less accidents if the speed limit was around 100 mph or more.
People would have to pay attention to what was going on and not have time to
read books and put on makeup while driving.

Saw a TV show about the Autobond (however you spell it) and then seem to
monitor most of it by remote TV. If you are doing something wrong, they
just send you a ticket in the mail.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/20/2012 8:55 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Fat-Dumb and Happy" wrote in message

Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go? Around 30% less gas
mileage at 85 mph
http://www.mpgforspeed.com/

My time is worth more to me than the ammount of extra gas cost. I try not
to go more than 5 mph over the speed limit because I do not want a ticket.
However if the speed limit was 100 mph I would drive it.

There may be less accidents if the speed limit was around 100 mph or more.
People would have to pay attention to what was going on and not have time to
read books and put on makeup while driving.

Saw a TV show about the Autobond (however you spell it) and then seem to
monitor most of it by remote TV. If you are doing something wrong, they
just send you a ticket in the mail.

It's "Autobahn" by the way but I think we here in The U.S. should
consider what the German requirements for a driving license are and
copy some of it. It would definitely keep a lot of morons off the
nation's highways but of course, the P.L.L.C.F. would scream bloody
murder because it would require that applicants have SOME intelligence
to obtain a driver's license. ^_^

http://www.german-way.com/driving.html

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 20, 4:43*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Fat-Dumb and Happy wrote:
HeyBub wrote:

*Speed costs money, *how fast do you want to go? Around 30% less gas
mileage at 85 mph
http://www.mpgforspeed.com/

Suppose your destination is 85 miles away and gas costs $3.00/gallon. At 25
miles/gallon, you get there in one hour at a cost of $10.20.

Now, at 55mph, the trip takes 1.5 hours and $12.75 worth of gas, a $2.55
difference.

So, at the expense of an additional half-hour, you save $2.55 or $5.10 per
hour.

If you're going to a job that pays more than about $5/hr, you're financially
ahead to drive 85.

Do you see you error? You are assuming that 'driving longer' uses
more gas.
Clue: the engine will turn over in high gear the same number of
times at 30 mph
as it does at 150mph over the same distance.

That is another common fallacy along with the "two cars crash head on
at 60, is
the same as crasing into a wall at 120".

Higer speed is what costs more because you need more fuel to force the
vehicle through the air and rolling ristance.

Harry K

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 20, 7:53*am, wrote:

Fat-Dumb and Happy wrote:
HeyBub wrote:

[...]

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars...ed-vs-fuel-eco...

He is saying the saved time may be worth more than the cost of the
extra energy you use. I can make the same argument about a hand saw vs
a skill saw but if your time is worthless, use a hand saw.

He aslo forgets that those few minutes saved canot be put to any
useful purpose (as far as actually earning any money). I used to
argue that with an idiot at work. He could save a couple minutes
easch trip by speeding. I asked just where he is banking those few
minutes until they added up to a useful amount of time. No answer.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:

"Perhaps by 2030 we'll be able to lawfully drive as fast as we should have
been allowed to drive back in 1990. But don't count on it. There's too much
revenue at stake."

I live in Houston and 85 MPH is normal even on the regular freeways (if
they are not jammed up). I'll be on beltway-8 often and just keep up
with traffic, glace down at the speedo and see I'm going 80+ quite
often. Cops don't care if you're in a "pack" keeping up with the rest
of traffic. They just single out the lone driver going over the posted
limit when no one else is around. Hell, I've passed police cars that
were driving too slow (60 MPH) or so on the beltway.

If you've even taken a "Smith Driving Course", they will tell you that
police vehicles are a safety hazard because everyone slows down suddenly
when they encounter one. Me, I just go with the rate of flow - it's
safer that way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 08:39:16 -0800 (PST), Harry K
wrote:

So you bill your cliant for the amount of time you have available
rather than how long the job takes?

Odd.

I expect a contractor to include his travel time to a job in what he
charges to do the job.
I mean, that's common business sense.
You charge more than your expenses to make a profit.
Time should always be included as an expense.
Thought everybody knew that.
I don't want a guy working for me breaking the law, speeding through
construction zones, school zones, etc.,
I should be paying him enough so he doesn't have to turn to crime.
This speeding stuff might apply to jitney cab drivers and independent
truckers. Otherwise, it doesn't make much sense when talking about
business.
I worked 4 years at UPS. Pretty sure they're still successful.
They don't have to speed to do it. Drivers get fired for speeding.
Now when I drive 1200 miles to vacation in Florida, if I do 80 it's 15
hours of driving. If I do 70 it's 17 hours.
I relax, and do 70-75. Others choose 80 as their minimum. Pretty
safe as far as tickets, but puts them in the left lane tailgating and
being tailgated.
It mostly gets down to safety and a more relaxed drive to me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Suppose that the contractor has a job that will take say 80 hours to
complete. For the sake of argument let's say that this contractor limits
his workdays to 8 hours. Now suppose that by driving 85mph rather than 55,
over a week or so he is able to spend enough extra work hours on the
customer's job so that it will be done in 9 days instead of 10. Now he's
eliminated a trip altogether, saving fuel cost and time that will likely
more than pay for the reduced fuel mileage of driving at 85mph.

plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 21:10:11 -0500, wrote:

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 19:56:30 -0500,
wrote:

wrote:

So you bill your cliant for the amount of time you have available
rather than how long the job takes?

Odd.

Harry K

A lot of people can only bill for the time they are actually on the
customer's site and travel time may be capped at a certain amount or
not compensated for at all..

For a service call I bill from the time I leave MY door until the
time I leave THEIR door. So I get paid for hald of the transit time.

For contract time it is time on site.

You can end up pricing yourself out of that contract tho if the next
guy drives faster and charges less.

For most people who live in places with long drives it is just the
time out of their lives that they want back.
This may not make sense to people in the North East who have never
driven much in the West. They can't even comprehend a place where
towns are 50 miles apart and a whole lot of nothing in between.

You missed it. CONTRACT is time on site. SERVICE CALL is door to
door. When something goes south, they want it done NOW - and they
expect to pay more. I charge the same rate, but they pay my travel
time. No complaints so far.

I likely don't charge ENOUGH, but I make a living.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 07:55:09 -0800 (PST), Harry K
wrote:

On Nov 18, 4:52*am, Robert wrote:
The problem with driving at 85 mph is that, even a small
ripple or object on the road will make my truck lurch and
I will spill my beer !!!!!

Not to mention having to put my book down to correct the steering!

"Wait a minute, I'm just about done with the text message."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 20, 6:49*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
wrote:

For most people who live in places with long drives it is just the
time out of their lives that they want back.
This may not make sense to people in the North East who have never
driven much in the West. They can't even comprehend a place where
towns are 50 miles apart and a whole lot of nothing in between.

Exactly. Most don't realize that Houston is closer to Florida than it is to
El Paso and El Paso is closer to San Diego than it is to Houston. Between
Houston and El Paso, you'll pass through counties that are bigger than some
states.

What this means is that there's a whole lot of nothing out there.

I'm surprised there aren't more private pilots !

??? I suppose if you mean Rhode Island it is possible but I doubt it
applies to more than a coiouple states. When I was dispatching I
discovered that Texas has a very large amount of counties...as in over
300 (I forget the actual number. I also lived in the San Antonio and
San Angelo areas for many years and one didn't drive very many miles
in any direction before crossing a county border - usually marked by a
liquor store when crossing from a dry to a wet county

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I have never gotten an itemized bill listing travel _time_. When I
was building a couple houses there were mileage charges for delivery
of material but that was it. All others were billed as "service call"
which was standard no matter what the mileage was, i.e., customer 5
miles away paid same fee as one 30 miles.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds like the one time I went out west, to visit Salt Lake City. Nebraska
was like that. A town about ever 50 miles, and nothing but sand in between.
Beautifully maintained asphalt roads in between.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

For most people who live in places with long drives it is just the
time out of their lives that they want back.
This may not make sense to people in the North East who have never
driven much in the West. They can't even comprehend a place where
towns are 50 miles apart and a whole lot of nothing in between.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 20:43:03 -0800 (PST), Harry K
wrote:

On Nov 18, 4:01*pm, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 14:17:52 -0600, The Daring Dufas

wrote:
On 11/18/2012 1:53 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 11:18:48 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 11:27:56 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

Illegal in the UK to use hand held cellphone while driving, has been
for years.
Or any other device

Yea but do the gals still.... you know, while the guy is driving? O_o

Of course they do, don't be silly.

About a year ago there was a legal case here in CT. *Couple was thrown
from the Mercedes convertible after crashing into a tree and the man
died. *Police could not determine the driver. *His family tried to say
she was driving and sued her. *Woman gave her defense. *"I could not
have been driving, I was giving him a BJ at the time of the accident"

Why would a woman give a guy a banjo while he was driving, wouldn't that
be very distracting? O_o

TDD

Sure. *If she was playing it at the same time.

Not a banjo,a flute, skin that is.

I think Clinton plays a saxophone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 20:04:04 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 22:55:01 -0500, Wes Groleau
wrote:

On 11-19-2012 10:31, Harry K wrote:
It is always a puzzle to me when someone slows down when they see a
cop. Reality is that if they want you they alredy have you before
you saw them. Slowing down is only an admission you were speedign.

When you're doing 110, slowing down is a signal you're not making a run
for it. :-)

Florida HP could not catch some drug traffickers. They bought some hot
V8 Ford Mustangs or used confiscated fancy cars. Then they caught
them.

A friend of my brothers was tagged at 170+ in his Shelby Cobra, on
I74. As they explained to him, just after he rolled into his
driveway, "you can outrun us, but you can't outrun our radio".
Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
[...]

The only thing speed limits do is screw up that flow.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/22/2012 5:10 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 14:02:37 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

The most stressful driving I've ever encountered was in the state
of Maryland when they were writing tickets for either 56 or 61

I lived there then. It was 61 in a 55. One point $40.
The worst part was the average speed on the beltway was 66 or so and
the cops (10-15 at a time) would just jump out in the road and pull
cars over 30 at a time. The whole pack got a ticket. There would be a
traffic jam with 30 cars on the median or the shoulder waiting for
their ticket. Then when they were all gone, everyone got back to 66,
rinse, repeat.

I knew a state cop at the time and he said they were all just burned
out from sitting on the side of the road writing tickets. He said if
he wanted to be a meter maid he would have gone for that job. He
didn't like me calling him a "speeder maid" tho.

The court system was overloaded too because the policy was, if you
showed up, it was half the fine and maybe no points. (1 point for a 2
point ticket). There was also a computer game you could play to delay
your points from hitting the DMV record.

It was only for the revenue. They wanted you on the road.

I asked a cop friend what would happen if everyone who received a
traffic ticket showed up and plead "Not Guilty"? As expected, he
said the whole system would come to a screeching halt. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bifurcated? What kind of split is that?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

There are too many trucks and little old
ladies (weenies trying to eek out .1MPG)
here. I prefer about 5-7 over the 70 posted
but the traffic seems bifurcated at 65 and 85.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 18:20:32 -0500, wrote:

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 15:10:32 -0500, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

wrote:

On 11-19-2012 10:31, Harry K wrote:
It is always a puzzle to me when someone slows down when they see a
cop. Reality is that if they want you they alredy have you before
you saw them. Slowing down is only an admission you were speedign.

When you're doing 110, slowing down is a signal you're not making a run
for it. :-)

Florida HP could not catch some drug traffickers. They bought some hot
V8 Ford Mustangs or used confiscated fancy cars. Then they caught
them.

A friend of my brothers was tagged at 170+ in his Shelby Cobra, on
I74. As they explained to him, just after he rolled into his
driveway, "you can outrun us, but you can't outrun our radio".

Zactly-- When we were guarding the nukes in Yorktown we were not
allowed to go over 30[40?] MPH to catch the OOD. He could go as fast
as he wanted-- and he was on our radio frequency. But we could
still trap him in a few minutes.

Capt. Curtis was a slippery SOB-- but he kept us on our toes.

Jim

Unless the cop can radio your tag number the rule "lose sight, no
cite" applies. You go to court and ask to see the radio transcript.
He can't just say stop that red Cobra and show up a few minutes later
to write the ticket. If the cop that stopped you did not see and somehow measure your
illegal speed, he can't write the ticket. The cop who arrived late
knows he saw SOME red Cobra speeding but it is hard to prove it was
your red Cobra.
Well they can always write the ticket, but they can't win in court.
All you have to say is it must have been another red Cobra.

That may be the way it is now but 50 years ago things were much
simpler. There weren't a lot of Cobras in central Illinois (like
one).

If you do outrun a cop and get out of sight of them, stop as soon as
you can, get out of the car and get a cup of coffee or something.
Then you have provided reasonable doubt about who the driver was.
Without a tag number, recorded on the radio log, they got nothing.
That radio is a double edged sword.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 18:33:36 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Bifurcated? What kind of split is that?

???
In two.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/bifurcated
Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:

Exactly. Most don't realize that Houston is closer to Florida than
it is to El Paso and El Paso is closer to San Diego than it is to
Houston. Between Houston and El Paso, you'll pass through counties
that are bigger than some states.

What this means is that there's a whole lot of nothing out there.

I'm surprised there aren't more private pilots !

??? I suppose if you mean Rhode Island it is possible but I doubt it
applies to more than a coiouple states. When I was dispatching I
discovered that Texas has a very large amount of counties...as in over
300 (I forget the actual number. I also lived in the San Antonio and
San Angelo areas for many years and one didn't drive very many miles
in any direction before crossing a county border - usually marked by a
liquor store when crossing from a dry to a wet county

The largest county in Texas, Brewster, is 6184 sq miles. The smallest is
Rockwell at 127 sq miles. The average county in Texas is 1057 sq miles in
area.

Texas has 254 counties (out of 3050 in the whole country). I thought
everybody knew that.

We also have 254 Texas Rangers, and not by coincidence.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 18:16:25 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Harry K wrote:

Exactly. Most don't realize that Houston is closer to Florida than
it is to El Paso and El Paso is closer to San Diego than it is to
Houston. Between Houston and El Paso, you'll pass through counties
that are bigger than some states.

What this means is that there's a whole lot of nothing out there.

I'm surprised there aren't more private pilots !

??? I suppose if you mean Rhode Island it is possible but I doubt it
applies to more than a coiouple states. When I was dispatching I
discovered that Texas has a very large amount of counties...as in over
300 (I forget the actual number. I also lived in the San Antonio and
San Angelo areas for many years and one didn't drive very many miles
in any direction before crossing a county border - usually marked by a
liquor store when crossing from a dry to a wet county

The largest county in Texas, Brewster, is 6184 sq miles.

There are three states smaller.

The smallest is Rockwell at 127 sq miles. The average county in Texas is 1057 sq miles in
area.

DC is smaller than the average.

Texas has 254 counties (out of 3050 in the whole country). I thought
everybody knew that.

We also have 254 Texas Rangers, and not by coincidence.

More than any other state, fer sure!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 17:21:43 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

I asked a cop friend what would happen if everyone who received a
traffic ticket showed up and plead "Not Guilty"? As expected, he
said the whole system would come to a screeching halt. ^_^

TDD

I was in traffic court twice when I lived in Philadelphia, but it was
over 35 years ago. The first time, there were over 100 people waiting
for their hearing. Judge walked in, bailiff did the "all rise" thing.
Judge got to his seat and asked everyone "how do you plead" and
everyone said not guilty. "Dismissed"

Second trip had a crowd, but I was called for my case. As I
approached the bench the court stenographer said "with a name like
that, he should be dismissed" and I was.

My daughter had a speeding ticket in MA.. She was able to talk to
someone and it was to be taken care of. It was, except on the way to
court she was speeding and got another ticket.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
[...]

Yep and that includes the yo yos who put their cruise at exactly the
posted and bcome rolling road blocks.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
[...]

The ones who **** me off are the ones who don't use the speed control
and are constantly changing speed. When trying to overtake them, they
speed up and then slow down the instant you give up. Cruise is a
great gadget but like everything else, it has to be used properly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
[...]

You whine about everything.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Moron Texas' 85-mph speed limit

Remove the power steering, and I'd feel
safe at any speed! I want that sucker to
feel like it's on RAILS.