Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Texas "Hill Country" woodworking ... or working to an 1/8th on a nippy Texas morning.

About the only foundation crew I would ever let into my shop:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/0821.jpg
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/0822.jpg
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/0944.jpg
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/1009.jpg
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/0953.jpg

All diagonals measured to an 1/8th, or less, bubbles split the lines, and
more accurate woodworking, dimension wise, than many cabinet projects I've
seen.

.... and what a gorgeous morning if you must need be out of the shop!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
About the only foundation crew I would ever let into my shop:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/0821.jpg
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/0822.jpg
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/0944.jpg
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/1009.jpg
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/0953.jpg

All diagonals measured to an 1/8th, or less, bubbles split the lines, and
more accurate woodworking, dimension wise, than many cabinet projects I've
seen.

... and what a gorgeous morning if you must need be out of the shop!

I had a crew with a similar standard of excellence do my foundation walls.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
About the only foundation crew I would ever let into my shop:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/0821.jpg
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/0822.jpg
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/0944.jpg
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/1009.jpg
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/0953.jpg

All diagonals measured to an 1/8th, or less, bubbles split the lines, and
more accurate woodworking, dimension wise, than many cabinet projects I've
seen.

... and what a gorgeous morning if you must need be out of the shop!

Brings back memories of busting knuckles tieing rebar while working for
my Dad in the 60's.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Winterburn" wrote
Swingman wrote:
About the only foundation crew I would ever let into my shop:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/0821.jpg
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/0822.jpg
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/0944.jpg
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/1009.jpg
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/0953.jpg

All diagonals measured to an 1/8th, or less, bubbles split the lines, and
more accurate woodworking, dimension wise, than many cabinet projects
I've
seen.

... and what a gorgeous morning if you must need be out of the shop!

Brings back memories of busting knuckles tieing rebar while working for
my Dad in the 60's.

I'm about 160 miles out of my normal territory, in a rural area of central
Texas, and drawing on subcontractors in the neighboring two counties,
populated, but not densely, with lots of small towns ... and just tickled
sh*tless to see that the urban cesspool mentality has yet to pollute the
pride in workmanship attitudes hereabouts.

Now, if I can only rustle up a local framing crew this precise.

--
Karl ...
Cell 281-414-0127

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 21, 6:33*pm, "Swingman" wrote:
"Doug Winterburn" wrote

Swingman wrote:
[...]

Hows about starting with LUMBER that precise?? G

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 15:35:25 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

About the only foundation crew I would ever let into my shop:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/0821.jpg
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/0822.jpg
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/0944.jpg
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/1009.jpg
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/0953.jpg

All diagonals measured to an 1/8th, or less, bubbles split the lines, and
more accurate woodworking, dimension wise, than many cabinet projects I've
seen.

... and what a gorgeous morning if you must need be out of the shop!

The stories I could tell !!!
Like the time I stopped in on one crew ... the were measuring and
laying out the forms for a slab. Cement was on it's way. Didn't have
time to listen to my "friendly advice" about checking the diagonals.
Could have gotten it closer to sqaure by eye than they did that one !
(we're talking feet not inches and certainly not fractions)

Congrats on finding some good ones!

Finally up into the positive temps here in Maine.
burrrrr

Lenny
Posted to rec.woodworking

All diagonals measured to an 1/8th, or less, bubbles split the lines,
and
more accurate woodworking, dimension wise, than many cabinet projects
I've
seen.

... and what a gorgeous morning if you must need be out of the shop!

Brings back memories of busting knuckles tieing rebar while working for
my Dad in the 60's.

I'm about 160 miles out of my normal territory, in a rural area of central
Texas, and drawing on subcontractors in the neighboring two counties,
populated, but not densely, with lots of small towns ... and just tickled
sh*tless to see that the urban cesspool mentality has yet to pollute the
pride in workmanship attitudes hereabouts.

Now, if I can only rustle up a local framing crew this precise.

Around Marble Falls? Had a crew do some excellent work a few years ago,
their still around, last I heard. Steele brothers do good work.

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/082...mages/0953.jpg

All diagonals measured to an 1/8th, or less, bubbles split the lines, and
more accurate woodworking, dimension wise, than many cabinet projects I've
seen.

... and what a gorgeous morning if you must need be out of the shop!

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

You'd better drop to your knees and give thanks! If you're up around
Bourne (or close) you'll appreciate it in ten years! Hopefully your
framing crew will take the compliment your footings provide and give
you something that won't have settling issues later down the line.
The ground will settle no doubt, but if someone is having to "cheat
and shim" because of failure to check plumb and square, it's just a
crying shame I tell ya! LOL!

Jimmy Mac (aka Jummy)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 21, 7:28*pm, wrote:

Finally up into the positive temps here in Maine.
burrrrr

Lenny

Yea... they talk about nippy...Nippy? I give you nippy...and thick!

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...toy/Nippy-.jpg

That ain't no drift. That **** fell straight down.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...toy/Nippy-.jpg

That ain't no drift. That **** fell straight down.

It was very common to have to shovel that much snow off the car, when I
lived on Lake Erie.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

On Jan 21, 7:28Â*pm, wrote:

Finally up into the positive temps here in Maine.
burrrrr

Lenny

Yea... they talk about nippy...Nippy? I give you nippy...and thick!

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...toy/Nippy-.jpg

That ain't no drift. That **** fell straight down.

Looked like that here too, but it is melting quite well today.
--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Jan 21, 7:28 pm, wrote:

Finally up into the positive temps here in Maine.
burrrrr

Lenny

Yea... they talk about nippy...Nippy? I give you nippy...and thick!

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...toy/Nippy-.jpg

That ain't no drift. That **** fell straight down.

Looks like the perfect opportunity for a little winter snow shovel aerobics
exercise there.

Aren't you lucky!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 15:35:25 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

About the only foundation crew I would ever let into my shop:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/0821.jpg
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/0822.jpg
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/0944.jpg
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/1009.jpg
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/0953.jpg

All diagonals measured to an 1/8th, or less, bubbles split the lines, and
more accurate woodworking, dimension wise, than many cabinet projects I've
seen.

... and what a gorgeous morning if you must need be out of the shop!

....pretty heavy duty...that's #6 bar in there, if my eyes aren't too
bad today. I worked foundations for awhile and I ended-up the
carpenter responsible...every morning we checked the work of the
previous day and every evening the work completed *that*
day...redundancy is not a bad thing, especially when the framing
contractor searched me out to shake my hand. And you guys know,
errors in foundation, if not corrected by the framer, cause chaos all
the way out...AFA the wonderful morning, my time in Mineral Wells
taught me that Texas is NOT always warm; I kinda liked it!

cg
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 11:00:21 -0800 (PST), Robatoy
wrote:

On Jan 21, 7:28*pm, wrote:

Finally up into the positive temps here in Maine.
burrrrr

Lenny

Yea... they talk about nippy...Nippy? I give you nippy...and thick!

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...toy/Nippy-.jpg

That ain't no drift. That **** fell straight down.

We call that a "dusting" !

=0 )