baumgrenze

Default Dewalt DW423 - Bypass Speed Control - Convert to Single Speed

I have a Dewalt DW423 random orbital sander that no longer has
continuity between the power switch and the brushes. A quick search
turned up two online opinions that the speed control fails under use
and that it is best to by-pass the speed control and convert the sander
to a full speed machine. See:

http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Tools-H...splay_~reviews

I do not find it intuitively obvious how to do this.

Has anyone made this conversion who is willing to describe how to
bypass the speed control?

Thanks

Gerald Ross

baumgrenze wrote:

I have a Dewalt DW423 random orbital sander that no longer has
continuity between the power switch and the brushes. A quick search
turned up two online opinions that the speed control fails under use
and that it is best to by-pass the speed control and convert the sander
to a full speed machine. See:

http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Tools-H...splay_~reviews

I do not find it intuitively obvious how to do this.

Has anyone made this conversion who is willing to describe how to
bypass the speed control?

Thanks

I did this on my Dewalt router until I got a new control. It was the
wheel type and had 3 wires, One was the hot from the on-off switch and
one went to the brushes. I forget what the other was but I ignored it
and connected the two other wires. Lost the soft start feature until the
new control was installed.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

How much deeper would the ocean be
without sponges?

baumgrenze wrote:
I have a Dewalt DW423 random orbital sander that no longer has
continuity between the power switch and the brushes. A quick search
turned up two online opinions that the speed control fails under use
and that it is best to by-pass the speed control and convert the sander
to a full speed machine. See:

Dewalt service data is at http://www.dewaltservicenet.com You have to
register to get access to parts lists. This module is listed at $42!
And it's back-ordered. (I wonder what it cost before B&D swallowed
Porter Cable...)

The speed control module (with the speed dial on it) has three wires.
Two carry power for the motor (one in, one out) while the third wire is
connected to the other side of the power line to sense voltage. Trace
the circuit and you should find the power path to insert the jumper
into.

Before you plug it in, I'd turn the switch on and measure the
resistance across the plug terminals. Zero ohms means you've got the
jumper in the wrong place. Infinite ohms means likewise.

Good luck,

Tim

baumgrenze

Thank you Gerald and Tim!!!

Before lunch, my wife encouraged us to purchase the latest version of
the Dewalt ROS single speed (the D26451K). It comes with a 3 amp motor
and is slightly more than 10% heavier than the previous models. The
palm grip is slightly oval shaped and is perhaps slightly easier to
grasp.

I tried an experiment on the dust bag. I coated the joint between the
cloth and the plastic and all of the seams with black plastic tool dip
until there was an obvious plastic layer on top of the cloth. Time will
tell if this works as effectively as the duct tape approach advocated
by others.

For what it is worth, I have found that if I dampen the O-ring that
grips the dust bag adaptor before I install it, it is much less likely
to drop off.

After lunch I converted the DW423 to single speed as per my reading of
your suggestions. In fact, I unsoldered the speed controller from the
leads connected to it. I connected together the neutral leads which
entered one side of the controller and covered them with shrink tubing.
Then I connected the leads from the power switch and brushes in a
similar fashion. The machine now works again, just as you said it would.

Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to baumgrenze, Gordon wrote:
baumgrenze wrote:

I have a Dewalt DW423 random orbital sander that no longer has
continuity between the power switch and the brushes. A quick search
turned up two online opinions that the speed control fails under use
and that it is best to by-pass the speed control and convert the sander
to a full speed machine. See:

http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Tools-H...splay_~reviews
I do not find it intuitively obvious how to do this.
Has anyone made this conversion who is willing to describe how to
bypass the speed control?
Thanks

Looking at the sander from above, locate the three fasteners holding the
round black housing. Use a torx screw driver to remove the fasteners. In
my case the fasteners could also be removed with a 1/4 inch wide, flat
screw driver.

The speed control unit sits at the 9:00 o'clock position and can be
released by gently pulling up on the circuit board.

Two wires are connected at each end of the circuit board. A black and
white wire next to the power off /on switch and two white wires at the
power cord end.

Using side cutters, cut off the wires as close as you can to the circuit
board.

Reconnect the two white wires at the power cord end.

Reconnect the black and white wire at the switch end.

Tuck these new connections out of the way, put the black housing in place
and reinstall the 3 fasteners.

You should be good to go..

Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to Gordon, Tonywall wrote:
Thank You so very much Gordon. You got me out of a pinch with these precise
instructions. Much obliged.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...pee-42881-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

Can you do this for me. My speed control went out.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...pee-42881-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/23/2021 4:15 PM, JaeWill wrote:
Can you do this for me. My speed control went out.

Sure, bring it over after dinner.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 20:15:03 +0000, JaeWill
wrote:

Can you do this for me. My speed control went out.

No. I can't help keep homemoaner's open.