meirman

Default Speed control from Reciprocating saw

This is not an urgent question, because I'll probably never use this
part either way, but if you guys know something, I'd appreciate it.

I disassembled a Porter-Cable reciprocating saw, and as usual, I saved
the parts that might be useful some day. The speed control, about an
inch by an inch by a half, has a red dial with numbers from 1 to 6, 3
wires coming out of it, and it has this diagram on the side of it.

/
1_________________/ __________________2
| |
| -------- |
| | | |
| | /| | |
| | / | |_________|
|__| / | |
| \ | |________________3
| \ | |
| \| |
| |
--------

What does this mean? There is no toggle on the box and if they are
saying it is external (and the saw does have a separate trigger
switch), when the toggle is closed the voltage at 1 and 2 are the
same. What is the triangle in the middle of the box mean?

If 1 is supposed to be hot, and maybe 3 is varying hot, why would it
need the wire to 2?

(Sorry, I've thrown away the rest of the saw, but there aren't many
ways it could be wired. Worn out gears that cost more than half as
much to replace as the whole saw does.)

Thanks.

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Router Speed Control Problem Geo Woodworking 5 November 22nd 03 07:32 PM
Router Speed Control - How does this work? Jack Erbes Metalworking 20 October 30th 03 05:49 AM
Anyone used the external router speed control JGS Woodworking 4 August 20th 03 04:36 AM
Central A/C cooling fine but humidity seems high D- Home Repair 6 July 3rd 03 08:40 PM