D-

Default Central A/C cooling fine but humidity seems high

CBHvac wrote:

"Bob M." wrote in message

About 800 sq ft Cape Cod style house with forced warm air heat. Added

2-ton

York central A/C in 1989. Due to plenum shape, they put in a horizontal

coil

rather than an A-shaped coil. Worked well once I blew insulation into the
house. Always felt very comfortable.

2 tons on 800SF...wow..

Replaced the furnace in 2000 with a Lennox gas unit, and they installed a
new Lennox A-shaped coil in the output plenum. Same 2-ton capacity. Same
York compressor unit. The system will cool the house down quite nicely,

but

the humidity seems uncomfortably high at times, like over 50% even with

the

temp down to 74F. On days when it's in the mid 90s the system will bring

the

house down to the mid 70s and keep it there, cycling on and off as need

be. ("With proper sizing, probably should be running most of the time when Out Door temp is in the mid 90's.")

The condensation pump runs, but not nearly as often as it did with the old
setup. Cold air comes out of the ducts at about 58 degrees, so the system
seems adequate for "cooling" purposes.

The fan speed was factory set to the highest speed.

Bingo.. Problem.

That 3 speed fan, isnt to go play with, its to allow for duct issues and
blower curves...

sniped the air moves slower across the coil, the moisture will condense and drip
down and out. Never had this problem with the old horizontal coil.

Partially right..its not allowing the air enough time on the coil

Also, one of my upstairs rooms has its own 5000 BTU window A/C. When I run
that unit to cool the room down to 74, then leave it to go back into the
main floor, there's a noticeable increase in humidity and the room feels
clammy and uncomfortable. It's this comparison that's got me thinking the
central system isn't removing the humidity like it used to.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Is my analysis sound? I don't see any

moisture

around the furnace, so I'm fairly sure the condensed water is going where
it's supposed to. When the thermostat shuts the system off, the condensate
pump usually comes on a few seconds later to pump the water out. That's

why

I almost think it's saving it until the fan slows down or stops.

Slow the fan down, however when you do this, the current charge in the unit
may not be enough...
I would type more on this, but my helper took my fingertip off in an
accident today, and typing is real fun right now..

Thanks.
Bob M.

If the latent load is high enough it may call for a 2 ton unit. Don't
know what his conditions are, but sounds like a 1.5 ton on that cooling
coil might do more of what he wants in respect to humidity, if there is
not sufficient continuous run time with the 2 ton unit. I know some in
S.W. WI that are cooling 2000 sq ft homes with 2 ton condensing units.
However, that's what the heat load is in those cases, so doesn't mean
anything for other conditions.

"What is the Design Temp? With proper sizing, the unit probably should be running most of the time when Out Door temp is in the mid 90's."

Slow the fan down, however when you do this, the current charge in the unit
may not be enough...

I take it that the increased latent heat load on the evaporator will
vaporize the refrigerant faster requiring an increase demand for liquid
(R.) which will increase the heat load on the condenser increasing the
pressure which will increase the flow on an orifice or cap tube cooling
coil which might require a little more refrigerant. A TEV would open
more to keep the Super Heat in the correct zone.

Or, is your explanation different? Hope your finger heals like new! D-

--
Get the Cooling Capacity and Efficiency you Paid for -
http://www.udarrell.com/air-conditio...city-seer.html

CBHvac

"Bob M." wrote in message
[...]

I'm wondering: could
such a fast fan speed be literally blowing the air and moisture right off
the coolihg coil, and not giving it a chance to condense the moisture so

it
drains out? I can lower the fan speed (I have 4 to choose from) but before

get into that, I wanted to at least see if my theory made sense. I figure

if
[...]

accident today, and typin is real fun right now..

Thanks.
Bob M.

jim

Bob M. wrote:

[...]

The fan speed was factory set to the highest speed. I'm wondering: could
such a fast fan speed be literally blowing the air and moisture right off
the coolihg coil, and not giving it a chance to condense the moisture so it
drains out? I can lower the fan speed (I have 4 to choose from) but before I
[...]

800 sq. feet and 2 tons seems like too much a/c for the building.......
if you dont want to turn the fan speed down then call out a tech and get
him to check it out and see whats wrong with it.. not the same guy who
put in the second unit for you... he will never find his own mistake...
CBHvac

"D-" wrote in message
CBHvac wrote:

"Bob M." wrote in message

[...]

Well..there is part of the problem..we dont know where he is at...and that
is an issue..

"What is the Design Temp? With proper sizing, the unit probably should be

running most of the time when Out Door temp is in the mid 90's."

You got that right..

Slow the fan down, however when you do this, the current charge in the

unit
may not be enough...

I take it that the increased latent heat load on the evaporator will
vaporize the refrigerant faster requiring an increase demand for liquid
(R.) which will increase the heat load on the condenser increasing the
pressure which will increase the flow on an orifice or cap tube cooling
coil which might require a little more refrigerant. A TEV would open
more to keep the Super Heat in the correct zone.

Well..around here, with the high humidity, we go for the lower fan speeds,
and as we all know in the trade, that you design to med fan speed in most
cases, and use high or low depending on the situation, but here, we go for
the lowest possible..
When you do that, as long as the static is fine, you tend to find that the
superheat changes, and 9 out of ten times, you add a bit of refrigerant to
get things back in order, due to the lower fan speed, and slightly less
airflow over the coil..

Or, is your explanation different? Hope your finger heals like new! D-

Thanks...typing is bad enough...cant wait to go work in the rain
tomorrow..LOL

--
Get the Cooling Capacity and Efficiency you Paid for -
http://www.udarrell.com/air-conditio...city-seer.html
http://www.udarrell.com/air-conditio...tent-heat.html

Bob M.

I live in southern CT. The house also has a poorly insulated 2nd floor. When
the first system was installed, there was NO insulation in the walls and the
house was painted brown. Sucked up a lot of solar heat. There's also a
half-finished basement, but the HVAC system attempts to heat and cool the
entire house. So in actuality, the house is much bigger than the 800 sq ft
would imply.

When the temp is in the 90s outside, the unit does run for hours at a time.
During those periods the condensate pump will come on once in a while (maybe
every 15 minutes). The system will bring the house down from 78 (daytime
setback) to 74 regardless of outside temp in about 2 hours.

On the previous system, the fan speed was adjustable by changing the pulley
size on the motor. I had fooled with it at one point and it was set to work
very nicely in both winter and summer seasons without change.

The new system has four fan speeds but uses a direct drive AC motor on the
blower. The lowest speed is used when the thermostat's FAN ON/AUTO switch is
set to ON and the system is not calling for heating or cooling. Just moves a
little air around so you don't get that stuffy feeling. The highest speed is
for cooling, and one of the other two is used for heating.

The contractor who replaced the system did nothing but that, manufacturing
new plenum pieces where necessary. As long as it heated and cooled, his job
was done. He didn't install the original system, and when a friend with a
similar house called these same people in to add AC to his system, they
refused, saying they'd need a lot more return ducts to the 2nd floor (which
they could not add), and other problems. Would have cost him like $10,000 to
do it "right" so he just bought a few window units and saved a lot of money.
I had a similar experience when I added AC to my old system, but the
contractor wasn't as insistent and was able to install one return duct to
the 2nd floor in my house. I don't think it does much good, but it's there
anyway. I will get much more cooling when I replace my roof and add
insulation to the 2nd floor walls and ceiling. As it stands now, upstairs
reaches 90F in the summer and goes down to 50 in the winter, so you can
imagine how little insulation there really is up there.

I will try changing the fan speed to see if that helps at all. One thing
that seems unfortunate with this unit is that they give you four speed wires
from the motor, and only three active terminals and one "place holder" to
connect them to, so you can't have one speed for both heating and cooling,
or the same speed for FAN ON and heating and cooling. I am going to check
the possibility of making some form of jumper that will allow me to have one
wire go to multiple terminals while leaving the others disconnected. I'm
good with electronic and electrical stuff so I'll take precautions first and
measure twice before blowing something up. If I were designing this
controller I would give the system more flexibility than it seems to have
right now.

Thanks for all the comments, suggestions, and agreement (in part) with my
analysis.

Bob M.
======
"jim" wrote in message ...
Bob M. wrote:

[...]

CBHvac

"Bob M." wrote in message
I live in southern CT. The house also has a poorly insulated 2nd floor.

When
the first system was installed, there was NO insulation in the walls and

the
house was painted brown. Sucked up a lot of solar heat. There's also a
half-finished basement, but the HVAC system attempts to heat and cool the
entire house. So in actuality, the house is much bigger than the 800 sq ft
would imply.

Then....the information we had, that you gave was wrong...another reason why
we always tell people that we cant see it from here...

When the temp is in the 90s outside, the unit does run for hours at a

time.
During those periods the condensate pump will come on once in a while

(maybe
every 15 minutes). The system will bring the house down from 78 (daytime
setback) to 74 regardless of outside temp in about 2 hours.

I have news for you....at 90F or higher in your area, you can expect it to
run all the time, since the design ttemp in your area is less than
that...and the TD during design is 20F.....so..so far, it all sounds like it
was sized correctly, and perhaps better than you expect..but again...we cant
tell from here.

On the previous system, the fan speed was adjustable by changing the

pulley
size on the motor. I had fooled with it at one point and it was set to

work
very nicely in both winter and summer seasons without change.

The new system has four fan speeds but uses a direct drive AC motor on the
blower. The lowest speed is used when the thermostat's FAN ON/AUTO switch

is
set to ON and the system is not calling for heating or cooling. Just moves

little air around so you don't get that stuffy feeling. The highest speed

is
for cooling, and one of the other two is used for heating.

Depending on the setup and original design from factory of the unit, low
speed is ALWAYS for heating, and higher speed is for cooling...however, with
a 4 speed motor, you have more options and the highest speed may not be
needed....

[...]

Umm..kinda vaugue there....we are building homes with R40 in the walls and
ceilings, and they can drop to freezing if the temps outside are low enough,
and there is no heat in the place...
I dont really understand what you are trying to get at here, but the R and U
values are important, but they play a huge part in the Manual J and D
calcs...
something it sounds like has not been properly done.

I will try changing the fan speed to see if that helps at all. One thing
that seems unfortunate with this unit is that they give you four speed

wires
from the motor, and only three active terminals and one "place holder" to
connect them to, so you can't have one speed for both heating and cooling,
or the same speed for FAN ON and heating and cooling.

Unless its a heat pump, you dont want that...low for heat, and a higher
speed for cooling...

I am going to check
the possibility of making some form of jumper that will allow me to have

one
wire go to multiple terminals while leaving the others disconnected. I'm
good with electronic and electrical stuff so I'll take precautions first

and
measure twice before blowing something up. If I were designing this
controller I would give the system more flexibility than it seems to have
right now.

I suggest that unless you understand thermal dynamics, how this will affect
your comfort and your systems performance and life, and things like temp
rise, superheat, subcool, and the like, you leave it alone, and get a
company out that can set up the unit properly, and not hack it in..
What you are talking about doing, sounds great in theory, but in actual use,
can create even more issues..

"jim" wrote in message ...
Bob M. wrote:

[...]

Bob M.

The information I gave you was not "wrong", it was just incomplete. There's
a big difference. I did not think it was important to go into all the
details with the first message, so I left somethings out. They were
obviously of use to some people, while it may have been useless to others.

Back in 1951 when this house was built, they used 2x4 construction with rock
wool bats in the roof. The basements and 2nd floors (actually attics) were
unfinished. The original homeowner finished the 2nd floor but did so as
inexpensively as possible; this included no additional insulation and used
doors. Apparently some ethnic groups are just plain cheap. When I added A/C
in the late 1980s the contractor did the best he could given the situation
in the house, stating it would not be effective on the 2nd floor. Fine. I've
lived with it that way and am happy the main floor was comfortable.

When the furnace was replaced, none of us expected there to be any
difference in operation besides going from oil to natural gas heat, and
reclaiming several square feet of basement floor space.

Whether the system (heating and cooling) was working properly or at its most
efficient settings is really immaterial if the house is comfortable and the
homeowner is not complaining. Well, now I'm thinking of complaining and
decided to pose the question here. I had no problem adjusting the pulley
size on my old furnace, and I have no problem playing with the fan speed on
my new system. If the ducts are inadequate for the air volume at the highest
speed, then slowing it down is my only option besides ripping everything out
and starting all over again. It was easiest with the old furnace to find one
fan speed that was a compromise and leave it alone. May not have been the
best setting, but it did the job. Kind of like driving a car in 2nd gear all
the time. It may be a bit hard to leave a stop sign, and it may wind the
engine up kinda fast on the highway, but at least you don't have to worry
about shifting.

So, if you are stating (not recommending) that the lowest speed is usually
for heat, and higher speeds for cooling, I can go with that. I'll see what I
can do to take the fan speed down one or two notches for cooling and see if
that helps with the humidity extraction at all. I'm not going to fry the
system or cause anything else to go wrong. As it is, the air temperature
coming off the fan on the compressor unit outside has never been more than a
few degrees above ambient temp anyway, so I've known all along that it's not
pulling out as much heat as it could from inside the house. Maybe that's why
it's been working as well/poorly as it has all these years.

You've given me food for thought. It's my choice whether to cook it and eat
it, or throw it away. I thank you for all the advice, suggestions, warnings,
caveats, etc.

Bob M.
======