Brian Phillips

Default Storing wood - inside humidity vs. outside humidity.

We've had quite a few humid days of late here in Nebraska, with
temperatures in the 90's & 100's. (High of 77 tomorrow! Woohoo!) I
store my wood in the garage, which is attached to the house but for
all practical purposes maintains an outside humidity level rather than
an inside one, and so I'm curious about wood projects that will be for
indoors...should I store the wood that I will use in the house for a
while (how long?) to acclimate it to the interior humidity, only
taking it out to the garage to work it into whatever it's destined to
be?

If the above isn't overly clear, what I'm asking is if I should store
wood -- that will be used for interior projects -- in the house, where
the air is drier, instead of out in the garage where it is humid in
the summer (and winter). I don't want the wood swollen by humidity,
then made into a nice piece of furniture or something and brought into
the house where it proceeds to dry out to match the household humidity
and gets all out of shape.

Thoughts?

Brian

"Normal people, by definition, are average."
George

The air is dryer in the house when you are using the AC or heating.

The air is wetter in the house when you are not, because you are breathing,
bathing and cooking.

Build to accommodate when you build. The methods are old and effective, and
consist of frame/floating panel, wrapping face grain around a piece ....

Any good book on woodworking will cover allowance for movement. Build tight
when the wood's high, loose when the wood's low, and build at a temperature
that's comfortable to you. If you like, make a simple wood room by
isolating your stock and/or project with taped plastic. A light bulb for
warmth will ensure lower relative humidity. Two-three weeks will take a
couple points off the MC.

"Brian Phillips" wrote in message
om...
We've had quite a few humid days of late here in Nebraska, with
temperatures in the 90's & 100's. (High of 77 tomorrow! Woohoo!) I
store my wood in the garage, which is attached to the house but for
all practical purposes maintains an outside humidity level rather than
an inside one, and so I'm curious about wood projects that will be for
indoors...should I store the wood that I will use in the house for a
while (how long?) to acclimate it to the interior humidity, only
taking it out to the garage to work it into whatever it's destined to
be?

vmtw

(Brian Phillips) wrote in message . com...
We've had quite a few humid days of late here in Nebraska, with
temperatures in the 90's & 100's. (High of 77 tomorrow! Woohoo!) I
store my wood in the garage, which is attached to the house but for
all practical purposes maintains an outside humidity level rather than
an inside one, and so I'm curious about wood projects that will be for
indoors...should I store the wood that I will use in the house for a
while (how long?) to acclimate it to the interior humidity, only
taking it out to the garage to work it into whatever it's destined to
be?

I assume you are using kiln dried wood. If it is a space issue, keep
the excess it in the garage and bring the wood for your next project
into the house 2-3 weeks before you are going to use it. It should
adjust to the inside humidity in that time.
Scott
www.vmtw.com

If the above isn't overly clear, what I'm asking is if I should store
wood -- that will be used for interior projects -- in the house, where
the air is drier, instead of out in the garage where it is humid in
the summer (and winter). I don't want the wood swollen by humidity,
then made into a nice piece of furniture or something and brought into
the house where it proceeds to dry out to match the household humidity
and gets all out of shape.

Thoughts?

Brian

"Normal people, by definition, are average."

Problems with Paint Adhesion on Old Wood Phil Young UK diy 6 July 27th 04 01:30 PM
Copper Casting In America (Trevelyan) Yuri Kuchinsky Metalworking 330 July 21st 04 11:59 PM
wood colour on dado wallpaper Glenn UK diy 2 March 19th 04 01:31 AM
RSJ on Wood lintel? G&M UK diy 2 February 13th 04 08:08 PM
wood use query - wood movement HarryM Woodworking 1 July 10th 03 03:38 PM