Phil Young

Default Problems with Paint Adhesion on Old Wood

Hi,

I've just started to repaint a repaired sash window frame, about 1901
vintage. I say repaired, but I ended up replacing most of the wood with
new, so only the top section is actually the original.

Unfortunately, although the undercoat (Dulux Weathershield) is going onto
the new wood without any excitement, on the old section it is forming into
streaks looking like very exaggerated brush strokes. That is, after a few
seconds, you can see the wood between lines of paint that roughly follow
the brushing direction.

The new wood got a coat of Weathershield primer/preservative, but the old
wood was treated with Ronseal wood preservative prior to this (and after
all the old paint was removed), so I expect that this is the problem, even
though the Ronseal tin says it can be painted over.

I gave part of the problem area a second coat (after the 20 mins or so it
took to go round the rest of the frame) and this looks a lot better, which
might be a good sign, but I'm worried about the long-term adhesion.

What's the best way to proceed ? Carry on and hope for the best, or
somehow strip off the Ronseal preservative and start again ?

Cheers,

Phil Young
stuart noble

What's the best way to proceed ? Carry on and hope for the best, or
somehow strip off the Ronseal preservative and start again ?

It sounds like the stuff that's half stain and half varnish. I painted over
it on somebody's front door a couple of years back. Looks okay but chips
easily.
Paint stripper and wire wool would be my choice, followed by a coat of 2
part wood hardener. Paint goes on like a dream once you've firmed up the
surface

Pete C

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 15:25:14 GMT, "Phil Young"
wrote:

The new wood got a coat of Weathershield primer/preservative, but the old
wood was treated with Ronseal wood preservative prior to this (and after
all the old paint was removed), so I expect that this is the problem, even
though the Ronseal tin says it can be painted over.

Hi,

I'd expect it's best to prime the old wood too, just because it can be
painted over doesn't mean it always the right way to go.

I gave part of the problem area a second coat (after the 20 mins or so it
took to go round the rest of the frame) and this looks a lot better, which
might be a good sign, but I'm worried about the long-term adhesion.

Maybe contact Dulux and ask whether their undercoat is suitable for
bare wood that's old.

cheers,
Pete.
Pete C

wrote:

What's the best way to proceed ? Carry on and hope for the best, or
somehow strip off the Ronseal preservative and start again ?

Oops, missed that last bit +) Sounds like you're painting undercoat
over wood stain. Maybe give Dulux a call and see what they say.

cheers,
Pete.
Phil Young

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 22:03:31 +0100, stuart noble wrote:

What's the best way to proceed ? Carry on and hope for the best, or
somehow strip off the Ronseal preservative and start again ?

It sounds like the stuff that's half stain and half varnish. I painted
over it on somebody's front door a couple of years back. Looks okay but
chips easily.
Paint stripper and wire wool would be my choice, followed by a coat of 2
part wood hardener. Paint goes on like a dream once you've firmed up the
surface

So no car body filler then ?????

It doesn't look too bad after two and a half coats, so I'll probably just
proceed with the gloss and keep a lookout for how it wears. If no good,
I'll probably try what you suggest.

I only bothered with the Ronseal stuff because I didn't realise that the
Dulux weathershield 'primer' was similar - I was expecting something like
an acrylic primer.

Cheers,

Phil Young

Phil Young

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 22:26:33 +0100, Pete C wrote:

Hi,

I'd expect it's best to prime the old wood too, just because it can be
painted over doesn't mean it always the right way to go.

It did - the old wood got Ronseal preservative, the Dulux 'primer' (which
seems to be more preserative rather than a normal primer), then
undercoat. It doesn't look too bad now after '2 1/2' coats, time will
tell.

Maybe contact Dulux and ask whether their undercoat is suitable for bare
wood that's old.

cheers,
Pete.

Good idea, I'll try them if there is a problem. They'll just blame the
Ronseal I expect.

Thanks,

Phil Young
stuart noble