Phil Young

Default Problems with Paint Adhesion on Old Wood

Hi,

I've just started to repaint a repaired sash window frame, about 1901
vintage. I say repaired, but I ended up replacing most of the wood with
new, so only the top section is actually the original.

Unfortunately, although the undercoat (Dulux Weathershield) is going onto
the new wood without any excitement, on the old section it is forming into
streaks looking like very exaggerated brush strokes. That is, after a few
seconds, you can see the wood between lines of paint that roughly follow
the brushing direction.

The new wood got a coat of Weathershield primer/preservative, but the old
wood was treated with Ronseal wood preservative prior to this (and after
all the old paint was removed), so I expect that this is the problem, even
though the Ronseal tin says it can be painted over.

I gave part of the problem area a second coat (after the 20 mins or so it
took to go round the rest of the frame) and this looks a lot better, which
might be a good sign, but I'm worried about the long-term adhesion.

What's the best way to proceed ? Carry on and hope for the best, or
somehow strip off the Ronseal preservative and start again ?

Cheers,

Phil Young