Phil Young

Default Problems with Paint Adhesion on Old Wood

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 22:03:31 +0100, stuart noble wrote:

What's the best way to proceed ? Carry on and hope for the best, or
somehow strip off the Ronseal preservative and start again ?

It sounds like the stuff that's half stain and half varnish. I painted
over it on somebody's front door a couple of years back. Looks okay but
chips easily.
Paint stripper and wire wool would be my choice, followed by a coat of 2
part wood hardener. Paint goes on like a dream once you've firmed up the
surface

So no car body filler then ?????

It doesn't look too bad after two and a half coats, so I'll probably just
proceed with the gloss and keep a lookout for how it wears. If no good,
I'll probably try what you suggest.

I only bothered with the Ronseal stuff because I didn't realise that the
Dulux weathershield 'primer' was similar - I was expecting something like
an acrylic primer.

Cheers,

Phil Young