Adam Pj

Default Gloss Paint Removal on Wooden Door Frame

Hi All,

I'm just redesigning my bedroom at the moment, and decided the old
original door had to come off the cupboard. I've decided to leave it
"opened" planned, but have come across some problmes on the way.
Basically whoever painted the door frame before hand, in white gloss
paint, decided that they would paint ~around~ and ~over~ the door. The
door itself was painted top to bottom with white gloss paint as well.
When I removed it, there is an inch wide strip all the way from the
floor, across the top of the doorframe and back down the other side,
of unfinished wood, where the painter took a short cut and painted
around it. Now I've taken the door off it looks very strange, also the
layer of gloss paint is slightly higher than the level of the wood and
it's looking real horrible!

Can anybody suggest a way that I can remove all the gloss paint from
the doorframe. I was thinking of sanding it back with a belt sander,
but wasn't sure if this was going to melt the paint. Another thought
was to get my heat gun and a metal scraper and melt & scrape it from
the wood. My only thought about this is, is it going to burn the wood
beneath. If anybody could help me, it would be much appreciated,

Kind Regards,

Adam Prettyjohns.
Julian Fowler

On 3 Sep 2003 04:32:30 -0700, (Adam Pj) wrote:

[...]

Sounds like a chemical paint stripper might be the best option to
remove most of the paint, then sand to remove final traces. There are
some "eco friendly" paint removers around that are less likely to
stain or damage the wood underneath than the older/corrosive types
(local sheds should have a selection).

Start with a section that's going to be least obvious to the eye and
see what the results are there before trying to do the complete job.

HTH
Julian

--
Julian Fowler

Paint peeling from filled areas Mark Drayton UK diy 0 August 25th 03 11:58 AM
Woodwork paint removal - Metabo LF714s any good - other suggestions Eric the Red UK diy 0 August 20th 03 07:00 PM
gloss paint in bathrooms NC UK diy 4 August 9th 03 07:23 AM
Gloss paint and age-discolouration Frank Z UK diy 1 August 4th 03 08:22 AM