NC

Default gloss paint in bathrooms

All,
I am about to decorate the flat, and have a simple question about gloss
paint. I know that 'normal' mat wall/ceiling paint must be a specific
bathroom type in order to cope well with condensation, splashing. However,
what about gloss ?? I am thinking of using the same gloss throughout for the
woodwork, probably dulux, and dont want to have to buy seperate 'types' for
the bathroom (expense, colour variation, hassle etc).

stuart noble

NC wrote in message ...
All,
I am about to decorate the flat, and have a simple question about gloss
paint. I know that 'normal' mat wall/ceiling paint must be a specific
bathroom type in order to cope well with condensation, splashing. However,
what about gloss ?? I am thinking of using the same gloss throughout for

the
woodwork, probably dulux, and dont want to have to buy seperate 'types' for
the bathroom (expense, colour variation, hassle etc).

Ordinary gloss is fine.

jerrybuilt

NC wrote:
I am about to decorate the flat, and have a simple question
about gloss paint. I know that 'normal' mat wall/ceiling paint
must be a specific bathroom type in order to cope well with
condensation, splashing.

IMO "kitchen and bathroom paint" is a huge con and waste of
time and money. Ordinary good quality emulsion is perfectly
OK - if you *need* an anti-condensation paint (rare), then
buy a proper one.

However, what about gloss ?? I am thinking of using the same
gloss throughout for the woodwork, probably dulux, and dont
want to have to buy seperate 'types' for the bathroom (expense,
colour variation, hassle etc).

Oil-based gloss is absolutely fine. Prepare the surfaces
properly before painting, this is a must. I wouldn't use
water-based paint in the bathroom (or anywhere else, for
that matter, on my property).

Sent via the PAXemail system at paxemail.com

Max Bone

NC wrote
I am about to decorate the flat, and have a simple question about gloss
paint. I know that 'normal' mat wall/ceiling paint must be a specific
bathroom type in order to cope well with condensation, splashing.

The Kitchen and Bathroom 'type' branded retail products use little more
than standard vinyl emulsion formulation. So you can avoid them and save
yourself some money.

For commercial projects such as laundries, kitchens you'll tend to find
Acrylic Eggshell and Solvent-borne Eggshell used, as these do offer some
benefits in environments with alot of moisture. For problem areas
similar products may be specified, but these may be formulated with an
added biocide to prevent spores germinating on the paint coating film
and thus preventing mould/mildew growth.

what about gloss ?? I am thinking of using the same gloss throughout for the
woodwork, probably dulux, and dont want to have to buy seperate 'types' for
the bathroom (expense, colour variation, hassle etc).

For internal areas any good quality gloss which takes you fancy should
be fine. I'd still tend to stick with a solvent-borne type as these dry
to a harder film than the water-borne types currently available, this is
a useful quality for resisting abrasion and mechanical knocks and bangs.

Regards
--
Max Bone Decorating Direct Ltd
http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/

Lead in paint? al UK diy 9 August 7th 03 07:38 PM
Paint stripping advice? al UK diy 6 August 4th 03 11:42 PM
Gloss paint and age-discolouration Frank Z UK diy 1 August 4th 03 08:22 AM
Removing paint from old plaster coving - how easy is it? Tess UK diy 1 August 1st 03 05:42 PM
Paint Problem BigWallop UK diy 0 July 5th 03 10:29 PM