Pete C

Default Problems with Paint Adhesion on Old Wood

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 15:25:14 GMT, "Phil Young"
wrote:

The new wood got a coat of Weathershield primer/preservative, but the old
wood was treated with Ronseal wood preservative prior to this (and after
all the old paint was removed), so I expect that this is the problem, even
though the Ronseal tin says it can be painted over.

Hi,

I'd expect it's best to prime the old wood too, just because it can be
painted over doesn't mean it always the right way to go.

I gave part of the problem area a second coat (after the 20 mins or so it
took to go round the rest of the frame) and this looks a lot better, which
might be a good sign, but I'm worried about the long-term adhesion.

Maybe contact Dulux and ask whether their undercoat is suitable for
bare wood that's old.

cheers,
Pete.