Posted to alt.home.repair

Default More on Texas' 85-mph speed limit

On 11/22/2012 5:10 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 14:02:37 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

The most stressful driving I've ever encountered was in the state
of Maryland when they were writing tickets for either 56 or 61

I lived there then. It was 61 in a 55. One point $40.
The worst part was the average speed on the beltway was 66 or so and
the cops (10-15 at a time) would just jump out in the road and pull
cars over 30 at a time. The whole pack got a ticket. There would be a
traffic jam with 30 cars on the median or the shoulder waiting for
their ticket. Then when they were all gone, everyone got back to 66,
rinse, repeat.

I knew a state cop at the time and he said they were all just burned
out from sitting on the side of the road writing tickets. He said if
he wanted to be a meter maid he would have gone for that job. He
didn't like me calling him a "speeder maid" tho.

The court system was overloaded too because the policy was, if you
showed up, it was half the fine and maybe no points. (1 point for a 2
point ticket). There was also a computer game you could play to delay
your points from hitting the DMV record.

It was only for the revenue. They wanted you on the road.

I asked a cop friend what would happen if everyone who received a
traffic ticket showed up and plead "Not Guilty"? As expected, he
said the whole system would come to a screeching halt. ^_^

TDD