Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] krw@att.bizzz is offline

Default More on Texas' 85-mph speed limit

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 14:02:37 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per z:
The national 55MPH speed limit was a _real_ drag.

The most stressful driving I've ever encountered was in the state
of Maryland when they were writing tickets for either 56 or 61 (I
can't recall which). Traffic was backed up in these tight
little peletons where everybody was afraid to stretch it out a
little and, for reasons I don't claim to know, nobody slowed down
to get out of the pack. It was *really* bad.

Yep. I was once ticketed for 60 in a 55 on the 'Jersey Pike. It was
only a $15 fine but that was real money to me then. Ohio
(particularly Franklin County) was really bad, too, but I never got
pulled over there.

OTOH, since people started driving a lot faster around here
(Southeastern Penna, Southern New Jersey), I find driving tb
significantly less stressful than it was before bc now I can
cruise the right lane for long periods of time at 70 without
overtaking anybody - whereas before, it was matter of repeated
lane changes to get past the people doing 60 in the right lane
yet stay out of the way of people going beyond my comfort level
in the left lane.

There are too many trucks and little old ladies (weenies trying to eek
out .1MPG) here. I prefer about 5-7 over the 70 posted but the
traffic seems bifurcated at 65 and 85.