Posted to alt.home.repair

Default More on Texas' 85-mph speed limit

On 11/22/2012 11:18 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 17:21:43 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

I asked a cop friend what would happen if everyone who received a
traffic ticket showed up and plead "Not Guilty"? As expected, he
said the whole system would come to a screeching halt. ^_^

TDD

I was in traffic court twice when I lived in Philadelphia, but it was
over 35 years ago. The first time, there were over 100 people waiting
for their hearing. Judge walked in, bailiff did the "all rise" thing.
Judge got to his seat and asked everyone "how do you plead" and
everyone said not guilty. "Dismissed"

The usual deal is to arrange for a lower charge that is crafted to be a
fine only and plead guilty. If not unless you offer spectacular evidence
you get the fine and points.

Second trip had a crowd, but I was called for my case. As I
approached the bench the court stenographer said "with a name like
that, he should be dismissed" and I was.

My daughter had a speeding ticket in MA.. She was able to talk to
someone and it was to be taken care of. It was, except on the way to
court she was speeding and got another ticket.

I was in the local magistrates court waiting for a hearing and they
called a guy. Judge says "so Mr Smith you are here in regard to a
speeding citation?". Guy replies he is. Magistrate says "Officer Jones
isn't here so I can either reschedule the hearing or hear it now". Guy
replies he wants the hearing to proceed. Magistrate asks "how do you
plead?" Guy launches a big story "I was driving my wifes car and wasn't
used to the car and wearing heavy boots etc......"

Magistrate replies "guilty". The guy was so fixated on his story that he
didn't realize he was getting a gift. Since his accuser was not there he
simply needed to reply "not guilty".
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Not quite as smart as her old man, eh?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per The Daring Dufas:
I asked a cop friend what would happen if everyone who received a
traffic ticket showed up and plead "Not Guilty"? As expected, he
said the whole system would come to a screeching halt. ^_^

Here in Paoli, PA they have a tricky little system.

You go before a JP to plead and he gives you a choice: plead
guilty and pay the fine and get assessed zero points or plead
innocent, get found guilty, and get assessed something like 5-10
(I forget...) points. I watched this little charade all day
once - maybe 30 people pled... and it was the same thing
over-and-over again.

Then, if you want to contest it, you get to go to the county seat
about 20 miles away for a court date - but the JP warns everybody
in advance that "You will need a lawyer then and lawyers cost a
*lot* of money....".

--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 15:21:24 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per The Daring Dufas:
I asked a cop friend what would happen if everyone who received a
traffic ticket showed up and plead "Not Guilty"? As expected, he
said the whole system would come to a screeching halt. ^_^

Here in Paoli, PA they have a tricky little system.

You go before a JP to plead and he gives you a choice: plead
guilty and pay the fine and get assessed zero points or plead
innocent, get found guilty, and get assessed something like 5-10
(I forget...) points. I watched this little charade all day
once - maybe 30 people pled... and it was the same thing
over-and-over again.

Then, if you want to contest it, you get to go to the county seat
about 20 miles away for a court date - but the JP warns everybody
in advance that "You will need a lawyer then and lawyers cost a
*lot* of money....".

Yeah. Pennsylvania is, after all, a Commonwealth.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/23/2012 3:21 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per The Daring Dufas:
I asked a cop friend what would happen if everyone who received a
traffic ticket showed up and plead "Not Guilty"? As expected, he
said the whole system would come to a screeching halt. ^_^

Here in Paoli, PA they have a tricky little system.

You go before a JP to plead and he gives you a choice: plead
guilty and pay the fine and get assessed zero points or plead
innocent, get found guilty, and get assessed something like 5-10
(I forget...) points. I watched this little charade all day
once - maybe 30 people pled... and it was the same thing
over-and-over again.

I think JPs were replaced by magistrates in PA for quite some time. The
main difference is that the winner of the election needs to complete a
course and pass an exam in order to be certified.

What you are describing is pleading guilty to the one carefully designed
offense in PA (75 3111 (usually Section (A)), obedience to traffic
control devices) that has a fine, no points and nothing recorded on your
record. It is the same situation you will find yourself in if you
negotiate with the officer say through a friend. Unlike the days of JPs
they simply can't tear up a ticket so there has to be a disposition.

Then, if you want to contest it, you get to go to the county seat
about 20 miles away for a court date - but the JP warns everybody
in advance that "You will need a lawyer then and lawyers cost a
*lot* of money....".

You need to file with the clerk at the court of common pleas. It costs
around $80. The first thing that happens is the magistrates ruling is
vacated as if it never happened and you get a scheduled court date. But
it makes little sense to do it even yourself unless you have some
evidence to present.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Oren:
Then, if you want to contest it, you get to go to the county seat
about 20 miles away for a court date - but the JP warns everybody
in advance that "You will need a lawyer then and lawyers cost a
*lot* of money....".

Yeah. Pennsylvania is, after all, a Commonwealth.

That one zipped right over my head...

?
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 17:59:30 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per Oren:
Then, if you want to contest it, you get to go to the county seat
about 20 miles away for a court date - but the JP warns everybody
in advance that "You will need a lawyer then and lawyers cost a
*lot* of money....".

Yeah. Pennsylvania is, after all, a Commonwealth.

That one zipped right over my head...

?

How long have you lived there? PA is a state, but hangs to the
"Commonwealth" mentality.

Yes I lived there once, but only once.