Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default More on Texas' 85-mph speed limit

On 11/23/2012 3:21 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per The Daring Dufas:
I asked a cop friend what would happen if everyone who received a
traffic ticket showed up and plead "Not Guilty"? As expected, he
said the whole system would come to a screeching halt. ^_^

Here in Paoli, PA they have a tricky little system.

You go before a JP to plead and he gives you a choice: plead
guilty and pay the fine and get assessed zero points or plead
innocent, get found guilty, and get assessed something like 5-10
(I forget...) points. I watched this little charade all day
once - maybe 30 people pled... and it was the same thing
over-and-over again.

I think JPs were replaced by magistrates in PA for quite some time. The
main difference is that the winner of the election needs to complete a
course and pass an exam in order to be certified.

What you are describing is pleading guilty to the one carefully designed
offense in PA (75 3111 (usually Section (A)), obedience to traffic
control devices) that has a fine, no points and nothing recorded on your
record. It is the same situation you will find yourself in if you
negotiate with the officer say through a friend. Unlike the days of JPs
they simply can't tear up a ticket so there has to be a disposition.

Then, if you want to contest it, you get to go to the county seat
about 20 miles away for a court date - but the JP warns everybody
in advance that "You will need a lawyer then and lawyers cost a
*lot* of money....".

You need to file with the clerk at the court of common pleas. It costs
around $80. The first thing that happens is the magistrates ruling is
vacated as if it never happened and you get a scheduled court date. But
it makes little sense to do it even yourself unless you have some
evidence to present.