Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K[_2_] Harry K[_2_] is offline

Default More on Texas' 85-mph speed limit

On Nov 20, 7:53*am, wrote:
On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 09:30:30 -0500, George
wrote:

On 11/20/2012 7:43 AM, HeyBub wrote:
Fat-Dumb and Happy wrote:
HeyBub wrote:

* Speed costs money, *how fast do you want to go? Around 30% less gas
mileage at 85 mph
http://www.mpgforspeed.com/

Suppose your destination is 85 miles away and gas costs $3.00/gallon. At 25
miles/gallon, you get there in one hour at a cost of $10.20.

Now, at 55mph, the trip takes 1.5 hours and $12.75 worth of gas, a $2.55
difference.

So, at the expense of an additional half-hour, you save $2.55 or $5.10 per
hour.

If you're going to a job that pays more than about $5/hr, you're financially
ahead to drive 85.

But that would only be if we are driving a heybub vehicle that can
violate the laws of physics and move at a faster speed without requiring
additional energy that none of us except you have..

Its pretty simple. It takes increasing amounts of energy to move an
object such as a car at a faster speed:

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars...ed-vs-fuel-eco...

He is saying the saved time may be worth more than the cost of the
extra energy you use. I can make the same argument about a hand saw vs
a skill saw but if your time is worthless, use a hand saw.

He aslo forgets that those few minutes saved canot be put to any
useful purpose (as far as actually earning any money). I used to
argue that with an idiot at work. He could save a couple minutes
easch trip by speeding. I asked just where he is banking those few
minutes until they added up to a useful amount of time. No answer.

Harry K