Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] krw@att.bizzz is offline

Default More on Texas' 85-mph speed limit

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 18:20:32 -0500, wrote:

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 15:10:32 -0500, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 13:26:14 -0500,
z wrote:

On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 20:04:04 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 22:55:01 -0500, Wes Groleau
wrote:

On 11-19-2012 10:31, Harry K wrote:
It is always a puzzle to me when someone slows down when they see a
cop. Reality is that if they want you they alredy have you before
you saw them. Slowing down is only an admission you were speedign.

When you're doing 110, slowing down is a signal you're not making a run
for it. :-)

Florida HP could not catch some drug traffickers. They bought some hot
V8 Ford Mustangs or used confiscated fancy cars. Then they caught
them.

A friend of my brothers was tagged at 170+ in his Shelby Cobra, on
I74. As they explained to him, just after he rolled into his
driveway, "you can outrun us, but you can't outrun our radio".

Zactly-- When we were guarding the nukes in Yorktown we were not
allowed to go over 30[40?] MPH to catch the OOD. He could go as fast
as he wanted-- and he was on our radio frequency. But we could
still trap him in a few minutes.

Capt. Curtis was a slippery SOB-- but he kept us on our toes.

Jim

Unless the cop can radio your tag number the rule "lose sight, no
cite" applies. You go to court and ask to see the radio transcript.
He can't just say stop that red Cobra and show up a few minutes later
to write the ticket. If the cop that stopped you did not see and somehow measure your
illegal speed, he can't write the ticket. The cop who arrived late
knows he saw SOME red Cobra speeding but it is hard to prove it was
your red Cobra.
Well they can always write the ticket, but they can't win in court.
All you have to say is it must have been another red Cobra.

That may be the way it is now but 50 years ago things were much
simpler. There weren't a lot of Cobras in central Illinois (like
one).

If you do outrun a cop and get out of sight of them, stop as soon as
you can, get out of the car and get a cup of coffee or something.
Then you have provided reasonable doubt about who the driver was.
Without a tag number, recorded on the radio log, they got nothing.
That radio is a double edged sword.