Posted to alt.home.repair
bob bob is offline

Default Fishing network cables?

I need some ethernet cables between my computer room and the TV room. The
easiest way is to run the cable in the crawlspace and then up through the
floor for about 1 foot.

The plan is to drill a hole from the crawlspace up into the space between
two inside walls (one of them is the TV room) and between two studs. Then I
can make an opening on the wall for the faceplate and the network jack.
There is an electrical outlet on that wall, but I don't think that's going
to help.

If I could drill the hole from the top between the walls and between studs,
that would be easy. But since I can't get a drill inside the walls, I have
to drill up from the crawlspace. How do you identy the area between two
drywall, from the crawlspace looking up?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bob" wrote in :

I need some ethernet cables between my computer room and the TV room.
The easiest way is to run the cable in the crawlspace and then up
through the floor for about 1 foot.

The plan is to drill a hole from the crawlspace up into the space
between two inside walls (one of them is the TV room) and between two
studs. Then I can make an opening on the wall for the faceplate and
the network jack. There is an electrical outlet on that wall, but I
don't think that's going to help.

If I could drill the hole from the top between the walls and between
studs, that would be easy. But since I can't get a drill inside the
walls, I have to drill up from the crawlspace. How do you identy the
area between two drywall, from the crawlspace looking up?

Bob: I'm sure you have a specific reason for hardwire. I'm really just
curious what you're getting over wireless that makes it worth it.

[Don't wanna be accused as a responder that doesn't know how to do
something the OP asks so they tell them not to do it that way.]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 2, 7:28*pm, "bob" wrote:
I need some ethernet cables between my computer room and the TV room. The
easiest way is to run the cable in the crawlspace and then up through the
floor for about 1 foot.

The plan is *to drill a hole from the crawlspace up into the space between
two inside walls (one of them is the TV room) and between two studs. Then I
can make an opening on the wall for the faceplate and the network jack.
There is an electrical outlet on that wall, but I don't think that's going
to help.

If I could drill the hole from the top between the walls and between studs,
that would be easy. But since I can't get a drill inside the walls, I have
to drill up from the crawlspace. How do you identy the area between two
drywall, from the crawlspace looking up?

@bob:

Umm, cut the hole for the faceplate in the wall first, then use a
specially
made drill bit just for this purpose to make the hole for the wires in
the
bottom of the wall cavity, then run the wires...

Google search: "long drill bits for wiring"

Good luck...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob wrote:

The plan is to drill a hole from the crawlspace up into the space
between two inside walls

If I could drill the hole from the top between the walls and between
studs, that would be easy.

There are long drills available for this - I think they're called cable
installer's drill bits:

http://www.hellotrade.com/labor-savi....html#12693067

http://images1.hellotrade.com/data2/...ed-250x250.jpg

I've done pretty much exactly what you want to do. I first cut the
square hole in the wall where I want the cover plate. The hole is large
enough to take a long drill at an angle and point it down to the 2x4
running along the bottom of the wall and drill through it.

http://gregmaclellan.com/blog/wp-con...s/imgp2150.jpg
http://gregmaclellan.com/blog/running-network-cables/

That will work when you want to pull a single cable, but what I end up
doing is running maybe 2 RG6, 2 ethernet and 2 phone lines through that
hole (at most) or at least one of each type.

I have a couple of drill extensions that are about 1 foot long that I
snap together:

http://www.northerntool.com/images/p...3316012_lg.jpg

and then use a spade-type drill to make the hole:

http://images.orgill.com/200x200/6959191.JPG
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote in news:Xns9F91CB52A82F5RedGreen@
69.16.185.252:

"bob" wrote in :

[...]

Wired is still /way/ faster than wireless.

But it is really tough to run wire in a residential environment. You just
need to do some creative planning, drilling, attic-usage, allowing exposure
in closets, that sort of thing.

--
Tegger

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 2 Nov 2011 16:28:15 -0700, "bob" wrote:

I need some ethernet cables between my computer room and the TV room. The
easiest way is to run the cable in the crawlspace and then up through the
floor for about 1 foot.

The plan is to drill a hole from the crawlspace up into the space between
two inside walls (one of them is the TV room) and between two studs. Then I
can make an opening on the wall for the faceplate and the network jack.
There is an electrical outlet on that wall, but I don't think that's going
to help.

If I could drill the hole from the top between the walls and between studs,
that would be easy. But since I can't get a drill inside the walls, I have
to drill up from the crawlspace. How do you identy the area between two
drywall, from the crawlspace looking up?

Using a cut in box looks neater, but coming up in front of the wall is
much easier. Just crimping an end on the cable also eliminates
splices for a faster connection.

I installed some cables for my sister. I ordered 2 of these:
http://www.amazon.com/CAT5E-ETHERNET...279148&sr=8-12

I took a 7/8 wood bit and installed both cables in the same hole, ends
and all. I used a tube of sealer to close the holes as I went.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"bob" wrote in message
I need some ethernet cables between my computer room and the TV room. The
easiest way is to run the cable in the crawlspace and then up through the
floor for about 1 foot.

The plan is to drill a hole from the crawlspace up into the space between
two inside walls (one of them is the TV room) and between two studs. Then
I can make an opening on the wall for the faceplate and the network jack.
There is an electrical outlet on that wall, but I don't think that's going
to help.

If I could drill the hole from the top between the walls and between
studs, that would be easy. But since I can't get a drill inside the walls,
I have to drill up from the crawlspace. How do you identy the area between
two drywall, from the crawlspace looking up?

Use a long 1/8" drill bit or a strong coat hanger cut on a 45 degree angle,
drill down though the floor, carpet whatever at the base or the shoe base.

Find that in the basement/crawlspace, factor in an 1-1/2" offset and drill
up into the wall cavity. Cut in your box or low voltage opening and fish
the wire up.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 2, 6:28*pm, "bob" wrote:
I need some ethernet cables between my computer room and the TV room. The
easiest way is to run the cable in the crawlspace and then up through the
floor for about 1 foot.

The plan is *to drill a hole from the crawlspace up into the space between
two inside walls (one of them is the TV room) and between two studs. Then I
can make an opening on the wall for the faceplate and the network jack.
There is an electrical outlet on that wall, but I don't think that's going
to help.

If I could drill the hole from the top between the walls and between studs,
that would be easy. But since I can't get a drill inside the walls, I have
to drill up from the crawlspace. How do you identy the area between two
drywall, from the crawlspace looking up?

Great that you are going wired you will get 1gBps speed on the
internal network.

They do make long flexible bits to go from the top down. Otherwise
you just measure carefully.

They are called fish bits and you can even dril around corners:

http://www.lashen.com/vendors/BES/Fish_Bits.asp
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob wrote:
I need some ethernet cables between my computer room and the TV room.
The easiest way is to run the cable in the crawlspace and then up
through the floor for about 1 foot.

The plan is to drill a hole from the crawlspace up into the space
between two inside walls (one of them is the TV room) and between two
studs. Then I can make an opening on the wall for the faceplate and
the network jack. There is an electrical outlet on that wall, but I
don't think that's going to help.

If I could drill the hole from the top between the walls and between
studs, that would be easy. But since I can't get a drill inside the
walls, I have to drill up from the crawlspace. How do you identy the
area between two drywall, from the crawlspace looking up?

Use the wire for the electrical outlet as a reference. It goes into the stud
space you want.

Or, cut the box hole and drill from there down using a flex bit. Do some
research - there is a special tool to flex the bit a little extra so it comes
out in the middle of the stud space rather than perhaps too far to the far side,
although maybe this doesn't matter on inside walls. The flex bit has a hole in
it to pull through a string to pull the wire.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bob wrote:
I need some ethernet cables between my computer room and the TV room.
The easiest way is to run the cable in the crawlspace and then up
through the floor for about 1 foot.

The plan is to drill a hole from the crawlspace up into the space
between two inside walls (one of them is the TV room) and between two
studs. Then I can make an opening on the wall for the faceplate and the
network jack. There is an electrical outlet on that wall, but I don't
think that's going to help.

If I could drill the hole from the top between the walls and between
studs, that would be easy. But since I can't get a drill inside the
walls, I have to drill up from the crawlspace. How do you identy the
area between two drywall, from the crawlspace looking up?

Hi,
Long shank drill bit will do by drilling hole thru sole plate of wall
frame in an angle from the room where TV is. That's what cable guys do
when running cable to TV. If you want to drill from under then you are
oing saem thing straight up or in an angle after location of sole plate
is found. (jint' row of nailts sticking out ....)

I don't mess with cables any more. Whole house is covered with wireless
network now using dual band router.Even shared printer is on wireless.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tegger wrote:
Red wrote in news:Xns9F91CB52A82F5RedGreen@
69.16.185.252:

wrote in :

[...]

That is the theory. Cable B/W is faster like 1GB/s but in real life
wireless speed is suffice. Our main home theater flat panel video
streaming is at around 90MB/s, pretty steady. Some times it peaks upto
200MB. You can check your cable or wireless connction speed with test
utility.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Nov 2, 7:08*pm, Evan wrote:
On Nov 2, 7:28*pm, "bob" wrote:

[...]

Lowes, for example, has the super long drill bits for these kinds of
jobs. Extensions, even, if you have the newly fashionable ultra high
ceilings. Most electrical distributors have carried these for years.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair
DA DA is offline

responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...es-668805-.htm
DA wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote:

I don't mess with cables any more. Whole house is covered with wireless
network now using dual band router.Even shared printer is on wireless.

Wireless equipment manufacturers would have you believe that for sure. On
practice though wireless is still 20 times slower than wired and you're
guaranteed to have some blind spots where and when you least expect them.
Found one not long ago behind a flat screen TV that kills wireless signal
extremely efficiently. So, no, definitely do mess with cables if you want
a guaranteed and a fast connection.

for OP: if you do get one of those long drill bits (HD or Lowes sells them
around $30 apiece), make sure to also get the holder accessory (forgot
what they call it) - it's a piece with a handle that can reach inside the
wall and guide the drill. And you definitely drill down most of the time -
you normally make the outlet hole first because it is dependent on where
the service is needed. Once you've taken out enough drywall to mount the
outlet box/bracket, there's already enough space to fish the long drill
bit in. Be sure to get the smallest diameter drill bit you can get away
with. 1/2" is usually enough. Watch for electrical wires, water/gas pipes,
air handlers, that sort of obstacles. Would not hurt to check from the
outlet to the baseboard with a stud finder and also check downstairs
roughly around the place where you think the drill bit will come out.
There should be no obstruction within a couple of feet from where you
THINK you'll come out. The drill bit can wander, so you don't actually
know where you land, you just kinda take an educated guess.

Good luck!

-------------------------------------
/\_/\
((@v@)) NIGHT
()::) OWL
VV-VV

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 23:59:15 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

"bob" wrote in :

I need some ethernet cables between my computer room and the TV room.
The easiest way is to run the cable in the crawlspace and then up
through the floor for about 1 foot.

The plan is to drill a hole from the crawlspace up into the space
between two inside walls (one of them is the TV room) and between two
studs. Then I can make an opening on the wall for the faceplate and
the network jack. There is an electrical outlet on that wall, but I
don't think that's going to help.

If I could drill the hole from the top between the walls and between
studs, that would be easy. But since I can't get a drill inside the
walls, I have to drill up from the crawlspace. How do you identy the
area between two drywall, from the crawlspace looking up?

My favorite method is driving a nail right at the edge of the floor -
at the wall, then going down below and looking for it. If it is a 2X4
wall with 1/2" drywall you go in about 2 inches.

Bob: I'm sure you have a specific reason for hardwire. I'm really just
curious what you're getting over wireless that makes it worth it.

[Don't wanna be accused as a responder that doesn't know how to do
something the OP asks so they tell them not to do it that way.]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 2 Nov 2011 16:28:15 -0700, "bob" wrote:

I need some ethernet cables between my computer room and the TV room. The
easiest way is to run the cable in the crawlspace and then up through the
floor for about 1 foot.

The plan is to drill a hole from the crawlspace up into the space between
two inside walls (one of them is the TV room) and between two studs. Then I
can make an opening on the wall for the faceplate and the network jack.
There is an electrical outlet on that wall, but I don't think that's going
to help.

If I could drill the hole from the top between the walls and between studs,
that would be easy. But since I can't get a drill inside the walls, I have

Sure you can. They have 3' and 6' "flexible drill bits" at Home
Depot, at telephone stores (if those still exist) , and where did I
recently see a big selection of those bits?

to drill up from the crawlspace. How do you identy the area between two
drywall, from the crawlspace looking up?

It's hard**. You may drill lots of holes in your floor if you're not
careful. You should put the hole where you want it in the wall and
drill down from there. If you have trouble keeping the part in the
wall vertical, they have a metal L-shaped thing that goes half-way
into the wall and will hold the drill bit in place, but I never had a
use for such a thing.

The bits have a little hole in them for pulling a wire back once the
hole is drilled. If you make the first wire 2 or 3 times as long as
needed, you can use it like a trolly, taping all the other wires to
it and pulling them through, maybe one at a time, maybe more. I
guess you can also use a string rather than a wire for that.

What was a hard was lying on a board on the attic trusses, with my arm
extneded down the shaft that held the heating ducts, using a 1 foot
extenision, and drilling through the plywood between the first and
second floor. I guess that's meant to slow down fires, right?
But I think a 3/4" hole won't damage that much. I ran a phone line,
Romex 12-2, burglar alarm siren wires, burglar alarm sensor wires. and
maybe something else though the same hole, using the trolly method.

**From an unfinished attic, without a floor, it's easy see the framing
of the wall and easy to drill down. But from underneath, I don't
even remember seeing anything holding the plate to the plywood.

I like hardwired. I put my wires in 28 years ago and they've never
needed any attention since, and they don't use electricity, and need
no other equipment (though I do need a signal amplifier at every
second tv-signal splitter. So for 6 tvs, I bought 2 of them 28 years
years ago and they've been running ever since.)

They also make wall plates that are designed to just pass the wires
through. No connectors involved. They are like an awing, so you
can't see into the wall unlless you put your head down on the floor,
but the opening is an inch in diameter or more They were 5 dollars at
Baynesville, but Baynesville is always expensevie. The kind that
was more than a wall plate, that was like a receptacle with
plaster-lips that screws into a wall box, was about 8 dollars, and
still required a Decora-style plate, but the first kind, that is only
a plate is all you need.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DA wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote:

I don't mess with cables any more. Whole house is covered with wireless
network now using dual band router.Even shared printer is on wireless.

Wireless equipment manufacturers would have you believe that for sure. On
practice though wireless is still 20 times slower than wired and you're
guaranteed to have some blind spots where and when you least expect them.
Found one not long ago behind a flat screen TV that kills wireless signal
extremely efficiently. So, no, definitely do mess with cables if you want
a guaranteed and a fast connection.

Hi,
It all depends knowing what you are doing. I roll most of what I need
myself. My back is in RF telecomm., IT field(data comm.) during all my
working days. If I am going to run cable now I'd go optical and be done
with it.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote in
:

Tegger wrote:

Wired is still /way/ faster than wireless.

Hi,
That is the theory.

No, it's fact. I have file-synchronization software that use to sync
between desktop and laptop every time I get to the office or return home
from being on the road. It shows me the throughput visually. I routinely
get 3-times the speed out of wired connections versus wireless ones. And
this a fairly new laptop with Win7.

Cable B/W is faster like 1GB/s but in real life
wireless speed is suffice.

It may be "suffice" (I'm sure you meant "sufficient"), but it's still
1/3 the speed of wired.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Nov 2, 7:28*pm, "bob" wrote:
I need some ethernet cables between my computer room and the TV room. The
easiest way is to run the cable in the crawlspace and then up through the
floor for about 1 foot.

The plan is *to drill a hole from the crawlspace up into the space between
two inside walls (one of them is the TV room) and between two studs. Then I
can make an opening on the wall for the faceplate and the network jack.
There is an electrical outlet on that wall, but I don't think that's going
to help.

If I could drill the hole from the top between the walls and between studs,
that would be easy. But since I can't get a drill inside the walls, I have
to drill up from the crawlspace. How do you identy the area between two
drywall, from the crawlspace looking up?

just figure out where you want the jack to be and start from there.
The presence of the receptacle really doesn't help, unless the wiring
for that comes up from below as well in which case you can use that to
establish the line of the wall. You probably don't want to have the
jack in the same stud bay as the receptacle unless there is a
compelling reason to do so.

If you have baseboard it might be helpful to remove it, drill a small
hole down through the floor that will be covered by the baseboard,
then use that as a reference to drill your real hole. have a helper
shine a flashlight through that hole while you are in the crawl
space. Remember that if you have a 2x4 studded wall with 5/8 drywall
the actual width of the whole wall without baseboard will be about
4-3/4".

Alternately if you have a right angle drill and a lampmaker's drill
bit you could rough cut the opening for a single gang box where you
want the jack in the wall, then use those to start the hole in one
shot (might need to shorten the lampmaker's bit so that it fits in the
wall right,) then hog it out with a spade bit from underneath. Then
put in your low voltage ring and continue as per normal.

As an aside, I just got a brilliant idea although I don't know if it's
practical - a right angle drill with a chuck such that the lampmaker's
bit could pass completely through the head of the drill for length
adjustment, for just these kinds of jobs...

good luck!

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 3, 7:38*am, N8N wrote:
On Nov 2, 7:28*pm, "bob" wrote:

[...]

Never heard of a lampmakers bit, got a web site for a description?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pry back the corner mold from the baseboard. Drill through
with a LONG small drill bit (3/16 x 12 inches maybe).
Mentally work out in your mind which direction and how far
you're going with the pilot bit. Crawl under, and look for
your long narrow bit poking through. Pray a lot that you get
it right. Remove the narrow bit, and tack the corner mold
back on.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"bob"
wrote in message ...

How do you identy the area between two
drywall, from the crawlspace looking up?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Once you have the hole for the face plate, you can drill
down from above, using an installer bit (typically two,
four, or six feet long, and I've seen em at Harbor Freight).
Often they have a hole in the end of the bit, so you can tie
on the wire, and use the bit to pull the wire back through
the hole you just made.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"bob" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

bob wrote:
I need some ethernet cables between my computer room and the TV room.
The easiest way is to run the cable in the crawlspace and then up
through the floor for about 1 foot.

The plan is to drill a hole from the crawlspace up into the space
between two inside walls (one of them is the TV room) and between two
studs. Then I can make an opening on the wall for the faceplate and
the network jack. There is an electrical outlet on that wall, but I
don't think that's going to help.

If I could drill the hole from the top between the walls and between
studs, that would be easy. But since I can't get a drill inside the
walls, I have to drill up from the crawlspace. How do you identy the
area between two drywall, from the crawlspace looking up?

This may work:

Assuming you can find the wall, drill away. You've got an 90% chance of not
hitting a stud. If you do drill six inches or so, with plenty more to go,
stop and move over three inches.

Posted to alt.home.repair
bob bob is offline

Bob: I'm sure you have a specific reason for hardwire. I'm really just
curious what you're getting over wireless that makes it worth it.

Actually I am using wireless, however the best location for the wireless
router is not in the computer room because it is on one end of the house. I
need a wired network cable to reach the wireless router that I place in a
more central position.

Also, as others have pointed out, wired connections are more reliable. The
wireless are for mobile devices. All fixed devices use wired connections.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/2/2011 6:48 PM, Colbyt wrote:

Use a long 1/8" drill bit or a strong coat hanger cut on a 45 degree angle,
drill down though the floor, carpet whatever at the base or the shoe base.

Find that in the basement/crawlspace, factor in an 1-1/2" offset and drill
up into the wall cavity. Cut in your box or low voltage opening and fish
the wire up.

You can even get smaller drill bits than 1/8" that are 6 or 12" long.
IMHO this is the easiest way to locate where to drill. I haven't drilled
with a coat hanger wire, but I have heard it works.

Locate where the box will be first (to avoid wall studs). You can push a
long wire, like a coat hanger, through the hole to make it easier to
find below.

If the base 1/4 round can be pried loose easily Nate's idea of drilling
between the 1/4 round and baseboard is also good. You only have to
separate it a little, but this often messes up the paint.

--
bud--
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 23:16:13 -0400, wrote:

My favorite method is driving a nail right at the edge of the floor -
at the wall, then going down below and looking for it. If it is a 2X4
wall with 1/2" drywall you go in about 2 inches.

I take a coat hanger and make a drill bit out of it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bob" wrote in :

I need some ethernet cables between my computer room and the TV room.
The easiest way is to run the cable in the crawlspace and then up
through the floor for about 1 foot.

-snip-
Bob: I'm sure you have a specific reason for hardwire. I'm really just
curious what you're getting over wireless that makes it worth it.

Wired is still /way/ faster than wireless.

Are there also really security issues [maybe with *some* network
software? ] My wife's job supplies her with a laptop. The
hardwired net connection is the only way she can link to the work
computers from home.

Are they just saving on having a wireless modem-- or is there really a
security concern?

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Nov 3, 10:22*am, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Nov 3, 7:38*am, N8N wrote:

On Nov 2, 7:28*pm, "bob" wrote:

[...]

That's what I've always heard it described as, it's just basically a
really long standard split point bit. Got a couple in my toolbox that
I've been given by friends/family when cleaning out deceased
relatives' stuff, picked up for cheap at garage sales, etc. Name
makes sense to me as if you were making a lamp from scratch from a
piece of turned wood you'd need it to provide the path for the zip
cord between the base and the socket.

The special flexible electricians' bits as sold by Greenlee etc.
probably work better for the OP's application, but I don't have any of
those, and they're spendy for as often as I have an application for
them. (I did have to break down and buy some long shank spade bits
though for running wires in instances where joists were doubled or
tripled and a regular spade bit wouldn't punch all the way through in
one pass.)

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote in
:

Tegger wrote:

Red Green wrote in
news:Xns9F91CB52A82F5RedGreen@ 69.16.185.252:

"bob" wrote in
:

I need some ethernet cables between my computer room and the TV
room. The easiest way is to run the cable in the crawlspace and
then up through the floor for about 1 foot.

-snip-
Bob: I'm sure you have a specific reason for hardwire. I'm really
just curious what you're getting over wireless that makes it worth
it.

Wired is still /way/ faster than wireless.

Are there also really security issues [maybe with *some* network
software? ]

There are potential security issues with ANY over-the-air data transmission
that do not exist with wired transmission. It's the nature of the beast.
Wireless is exactly like radio: it's broadcast, and thus open to all who
care to try their hand at cracking in (unlikely though that is, in
actuality...).

My wife's job supplies her with a laptop. The
hardwired net connection is the only way she can link to the work
computers from home.

But I'll bet she could connect even if she had a wireless connection to
your home router. In which case the same security issues would apply.

Are they just saving on having a wireless modem-- or is there really a
security concern?

If she is unable to connect using an air card or other direct wireless
connection method, then it's likely a security concern. Does she work for a
bank or other institution that might be high-risk for cracking attempts?

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 3 Nov 2011 07:14:43 +0000 (UTC), Tegger
wrote:

Tony Hwang wrote in
:

Tegger wrote:

Wired is still /way/ faster than wireless.

Hi,
That is the theory.

No, it's fact. I have file-synchronization software that use to sync
between desktop and laptop every time I get to the office or return home
from being on the road. It shows me the throughput visually. I routinely
get 3-times the speed out of wired connections versus wireless ones. And
this a fairly new laptop with Win7.

Cable B/W is faster like 1GB/s but in real life
wireless speed is suffice.

It may be "suffice" (I'm sure you meant "sufficient"), but it's still
1/3 the speed of wired.

Well it just has to be the speed of television. IIRC tv waves are at
the speed of light, and that will be hard to duplicate!!!

JK
Posted to alt.home.repair

"bob" wrote in :

I need some ethernet cables between my computer room and the TV room.
The easiest way is to run the cable in the crawlspace and then up
through the floor for about 1 foot.

-snip-
Bob: I'm sure you have a specific reason for hardwire. I'm really just
curious what you're getting over wireless that makes it worth it.

Wired is still /way/ faster than wireless.

Are there also really security issues [maybe with *some* network
software? ] My wife's job supplies her with a laptop. The
hardwired net connection is the only way she can link to the work
computers from home.

Are they just saving on having a wireless modem-- or is there really a
security concern?

For years Bethlehem Steel wouldn't ever let employee users or
programmers *dia*l in. Eventually they broke down and permitted it,
and now they're out of business. Sounds like a security risk to me.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tegger wrote:
Tony wrote in
:

Tegger wrote:

Wired is still /way/ faster than wireless.

Hi,
That is the theory.

No, it's fact. I have file-synchronization software that use to sync
between desktop and laptop every time I get to the office or return home
from being on the road. It shows me the throughput visually. I routinely
get 3-times the speed out of wired connections versus wireless ones. And
this a fairly new laptop with Win7.

Cable B/W is faster like 1GB/s but in real life
wireless speed is suffice.

It may be "suffice" (I'm sure you meant "sufficient"), but it's still
1/3 the speed of wired.

Hi,
To have a steady flicker /stuttering free real time HD video streaming,
minimum speed required is ~5MB/s, so what do I gain running it on cable
creating a physical clutter? WiFi with MIMO and 3 stream set up can go
up to 900MB/s. If you mention advantage of cable is on better security,
I'll buy that. Cable is secure and optical cable is even more secure.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bob wrote:
Bob: I'm sure you have a specific reason for hardwire. I'm really just
curious what you're getting over wireless that makes it worth it.

Actually I am using wireless, however the best location for the wireless
router is not in the computer room because it is on one end of the
house. I need a wired network cable to reach the wireless router that I
place in a more central position.

Also, as others have pointed out, wired connections are more reliable.
The wireless are for mobile devices. All fixed devices use wired
connections.

Hmmm,
Really? Do you know how many schools and campus, hotel, commercial
building, warehouse are WiFi connected? Even my dentist office is all
WiFi. In Europe or places like Korea, Japan, China, it is even more so.
They are ahead of us.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in :

[...]

Really no system in the world is perfectly secure. I mean 100%.
So far there is no such thing like fool proof security. When I was
retiring best official security rating was like B+. It was breakable in
about 3 month's trying with team of experts for testing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/3/2011 10:26 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Pry back the corner mold from the baseboard. Drill through
with a LONG small drill bit (3/16 x 12 inches maybe).
Mentally work out in your mind which direction and how far
you're going with the pilot bit. Crawl under, and look for
your long narrow bit poking through. Pray a lot that you get
it right. Remove the narrow bit, and tack the corner mold
back on.

And we have a winner- that is basically how I do it. If the
baseboard/shoe mold is too solid or fragile to pry on, and the wall is
an easy-to-match color (I LIKE all-white interiors), a tiny hole right
above the baseboard is real easy to hide. Never felt rich enough to buy
a flexible bit, since I never do more than 2-3 drops at a time, and it
can be years between times.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in :

I need some ethernet cables between my computer room and the TV room.
The easiest way is to run the cable in the crawlspace and then up
through the floor for about 1 foot.

-snip-
Bob: I'm sure you have a specific reason for hardwire. I'm really just
curious what you're getting over wireless that makes it worth it.

Wired is still /way/ faster than wireless.

Are there also really security issues [maybe with *some* network
software? ] My wife's job supplies her with a laptop. The
hardwired net connection is the only way she can link to the work
computers from home.

Are they just saving on having a wireless modem-- or is there really a
security concern?

Jim

Can be, but more likely a speed issue. Probably running a VPN, and they
don't work worth squat over wireless. Can't remember if they can be
config'd to lock out home wireless, or it could be it is just timing out
when she tries.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote in news:koIsq.7576$D32.4409
@newsfe20.iad:

Tegger wrote:

It may be "suffice" (I'm sure you meant "sufficient"), but it's still
1/3 the speed of wired.

Hi,
To have a steady flicker /stuttering free real time HD video streaming,
minimum speed required is ~5MB/s, so what do I gain running it on cable
creating a physical clutter? WiFi with MIMO and 3 stream set up can go
up to 900MB/s. If you mention advantage of cable is on better security,
I'll buy that. Cable is secure and optical cable is even more secure.

But when it comes to data file transfer, that 3x difference between wired
and wireless is /very/ significant!

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote in
:

On 11/3/2011 12:13 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Are they just saving on having a wireless modem-- or is there really
a security concern?

Jim

Can be, but more likely a speed issue. Probably running a VPN, and
they don't work worth squat over wireless. Can't remember if they can
be config'd to lock out home wireless, or it could be it is just
timing out when she tries.

Not sure about that. The home 'net connection itself is likely to be a lot
slower than the wireless connection between computer and router.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tegger wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote in
:

-snip-

Are there also really security issues [maybe with *some* network
software? ]

-snip-
My wife's job supplies her with a laptop. The
hardwired net connection is the only way she can link to the work
computers from home.

But I'll bet she could connect even if she had a wireless connection to
your home router. In which case the same security issues would apply.

I think we tried a usb card one time, but it needed some software &
only the administrator could install it.

Are they just saving on having a wireless modem-- or is there really a
security concern?

If she is unable to connect using an air card or other direct wireless
connection method, then it's likely a security concern. Does she work for a
bank or other institution that might be high-risk for cracking attempts?

The risk probably isn't that high, but she's a visiting nurse so there
is a lot of sensitive info on the network. [It is amazing how
seriously this little private company takes protecting patient info--
the hospital she just left was pretty cavalier about it.]

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/03/11 10:55 pm, Tony Hwang wrote:

Bob: I'm sure you have a specific reason for hardwire. I'm really just
curious what you're getting over wireless that makes it worth it.

Actually I am using wireless, however the best location for the wireless
router is not in the computer room because it is on one end of the
house. I need a wired network cable to reach the wireless router that I
place in a more central position.

Also, as others have pointed out, wired connections are more reliable.
The wireless are for mobile devices. All fixed devices use wired
connections.

Hmmm,
Really? Do you know how many schools and campus, hotel, commercial
building, warehouse are WiFi connected? Even my dentist office is all
WiFi. In Europe or places like Korea, Japan, China, it is even more so.
They are ahead of us.

In fact there are remote parts of Japan with 100Mbps+ optical-fiber
service. Whether they have WiFi in those areas as well I don't know.

If you go to speedtest.net and find their country-by-country avg. speed
statistics, you'll see that the USA is well down the list.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:

Also, as others have pointed out, wired connections are more
reliable. The wireless are for mobile devices. All fixed devices
use wired connections.

I think it's more appropriate to say that all fixed devices would be
better off using a wired connection.

Hmmm,
Really? Do you know how many schools and campus, hotel, commercial
building, warehouse are WiFi connected?

Hmmm.
Do you know how many times I've been at a hotel and have had a bitch of
a time getting a decent wifi signal?

Wifi is a cheap, quick and dirty way to get an internet connection, but
frequently it's not implimented properly to insure that it's a good
connection.

Even my dentist office is all WiFi. In Europe or places like Korea,
Japan, China, it is even more so.

Just because it's "all over the place" doesn't make it better or more
reliable than a hard-wired connection.

For a lot of devices, a wifi connection is your only option.

They are ahead of us.

Wait until Greece finally collapses. Then we'll see if Europe is ahead
of us.