Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Fishing network cables?

On Wed, 2 Nov 2011 16:28:15 -0700, "bob" wrote:

I need some ethernet cables between my computer room and the TV room. The
easiest way is to run the cable in the crawlspace and then up through the
floor for about 1 foot.

The plan is to drill a hole from the crawlspace up into the space between
two inside walls (one of them is the TV room) and between two studs. Then I
can make an opening on the wall for the faceplate and the network jack.
There is an electrical outlet on that wall, but I don't think that's going
to help.

If I could drill the hole from the top between the walls and between studs,
that would be easy. But since I can't get a drill inside the walls, I have

Sure you can. They have 3' and 6' "flexible drill bits" at Home
Depot, at telephone stores (if those still exist) , and where did I
recently see a big selection of those bits?

to drill up from the crawlspace. How do you identy the area between two
drywall, from the crawlspace looking up?

It's hard**. You may drill lots of holes in your floor if you're not
careful. You should put the hole where you want it in the wall and
drill down from there. If you have trouble keeping the part in the
wall vertical, they have a metal L-shaped thing that goes half-way
into the wall and will hold the drill bit in place, but I never had a
use for such a thing.

The bits have a little hole in them for pulling a wire back once the
hole is drilled. If you make the first wire 2 or 3 times as long as
needed, you can use it like a trolly, taping all the other wires to
it and pulling them through, maybe one at a time, maybe more. I
guess you can also use a string rather than a wire for that.

What was a hard was lying on a board on the attic trusses, with my arm
extneded down the shaft that held the heating ducts, using a 1 foot
extenision, and drilling through the plywood between the first and
second floor. I guess that's meant to slow down fires, right?
But I think a 3/4" hole won't damage that much. I ran a phone line,
Romex 12-2, burglar alarm siren wires, burglar alarm sensor wires. and
maybe something else though the same hole, using the trolly method.

**From an unfinished attic, without a floor, it's easy see the framing
of the wall and easy to drill down. But from underneath, I don't
even remember seeing anything holding the plate to the plywood.

I like hardwired. I put my wires in 28 years ago and they've never
needed any attention since, and they don't use electricity, and need
no other equipment (though I do need a signal amplifier at every
second tv-signal splitter. So for 6 tvs, I bought 2 of them 28 years
years ago and they've been running ever since.)

They also make wall plates that are designed to just pass the wires
through. No connectors involved. They are like an awing, so you
can't see into the wall unlless you put your head down on the floor,
but the opening is an inch in diameter or more They were 5 dollars at
Baynesville, but Baynesville is always expensevie. The kind that
was more than a wall plate, that was like a receptacle with
plaster-lips that screws into a wall box, was about 8 dollars, and
still required a Decora-style plate, but the first kind, that is only
a plate is all you need.