Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default Fishing network cables?

On 11/2/2011 6:48 PM, Colbyt wrote:

Use a long 1/8" drill bit or a strong coat hanger cut on a 45 degree angle,
drill down though the floor, carpet whatever at the base or the shoe base.

Find that in the basement/crawlspace, factor in an 1-1/2" offset and drill
up into the wall cavity. Cut in your box or low voltage opening and fish
the wire up.

You can even get smaller drill bits than 1/8" that are 6 or 12" long.
IMHO this is the easiest way to locate where to drill. I haven't drilled
with a coat hanger wire, but I have heard it works.

Locate where the box will be first (to avoid wall studs). You can push a
long wire, like a coat hanger, through the hole to make it easier to
find below.

If the base 1/4 round can be pried loose easily Nate's idea of drilling
between the 1/4 round and baseboard is also good. You only have to
separate it a little, but this often messes up the paint.

--
bud--