Posted to alt.home.repair
Home Guy Home Guy is offline

Default Fishing network cables?

bob wrote:

The plan is to drill a hole from the crawlspace up into the space
between two inside walls

If I could drill the hole from the top between the walls and between
studs, that would be easy.

There are long drills available for this - I think they're called cable
installer's drill bits:

http://www.hellotrade.com/labor-savi....html#12693067

http://images1.hellotrade.com/data2/...ed-250x250.jpg

I've done pretty much exactly what you want to do. I first cut the
square hole in the wall where I want the cover plate. The hole is large
enough to take a long drill at an angle and point it down to the 2x4
running along the bottom of the wall and drill through it.

http://gregmaclellan.com/blog/wp-con...s/imgp2150.jpg
http://gregmaclellan.com/blog/running-network-cables/

That will work when you want to pull a single cable, but what I end up
doing is running maybe 2 RG6, 2 ethernet and 2 phone lines through that
hole (at most) or at least one of each type.

I have a couple of drill extensions that are about 1 foot long that I
snap together:

http://www.northerntool.com/images/p...3316012_lg.jpg

and then use a spade-type drill to make the hole:

http://images.orgill.com/200x200/6959191.JPG