Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fishing network cables?

On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 23:59:15 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

"bob" wrote in :

I need some ethernet cables between my computer room and the TV room.
The easiest way is to run the cable in the crawlspace and then up
through the floor for about 1 foot.

The plan is to drill a hole from the crawlspace up into the space
between two inside walls (one of them is the TV room) and between two
studs. Then I can make an opening on the wall for the faceplate and
the network jack. There is an electrical outlet on that wall, but I
don't think that's going to help.

If I could drill the hole from the top between the walls and between
studs, that would be easy. But since I can't get a drill inside the
walls, I have to drill up from the crawlspace. How do you identy the
area between two drywall, from the crawlspace looking up?

My favorite method is driving a nail right at the edge of the floor -
at the wall, then going down below and looking for it. If it is a 2X4
wall with 1/2" drywall you go in about 2 inches.

Bob: I'm sure you have a specific reason for hardwire. I'm really just
curious what you're getting over wireless that makes it worth it.

[Don't wanna be accused as a responder that doesn't know how to do
something the OP asks so they tell them not to do it that way.]