Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OTish - RJ45 network cables - OK to use externally?

I want to run a network cable externaly to an IP camera - will
"ordinary" Cat5e cable be up to the job light, cold, rain etc?

Ta
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim K wrote:
I want to run a network cable externaly to an IP camera - will
"ordinary" Cat5e cable be up to the job light, cold, rain etc?

It'll work, but the outer will degrade in UV light - eventually going
brittle. It'll take a few years though. If you make sure it's fixed
with no bits to blow in the wind, it'll work and might even outlive
the camera...

Gordon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Oct, 11:16, (Gordon Henderson) wrote:
In article ,
Jim K wrote:

I want to run a network cable externaly to an IP camera - will
"ordinary" Cat5e cable be up to the job light, cold, rain etc?

It'll work, but the outer will degrade in UV light - eventually going
brittle. It'll take a few years though. If you make sure it's fixed
with no bits to blow in the wind, it'll work and might even outlive
the camera...

Gordon

thanks - would it be worth painting to resist UV, once tacked in
place?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message
I want to run a network cable externaly to an IP camera - will
"ordinary" Cat5e cable be up to the job light, cold, rain etc?

Ta
Jim K

You can get outdoor cat5 which is UV resistant.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Oct, 11:29, "AlanD" wrote:
"Jim K" wrote in message

I want to run a network cable externaly to an IP camera - will
"ordinary" Cat5e cable be up to the job light, cold, rain etc?

Ta
Jim K

You can get outdoor cat5 which is UV resistant.

aha! Ebay is my friend! ;)

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Oct, 11:51, Jim K wrote:
On 20 Oct, 11:29, "AlanD" wrote:

"Jim K" wrote in message

I want to run a network cable externaly to an IP camera - will
"ordinary" Cat5e cable be up to the job light, cold, rain etc?

Ta
Jim K

You can get outdoor cat5 which is UV resistant.

OK next question;- my IP cam has a 12v 1A power supply - I plan to
power it via PoE down said network cable..how much cable can I run
before cable losses will liely be too much for the camera to operate??

Ta
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:

I want to run a network cable externaly to an IP camera - will
"ordinary" Cat5e cable be up to the job light, cold, rain etc?

To echo what Gordon said, it will be OK for a few years.

OK next question;- my IP cam has a 12v 1A power supply - I plan to
power it via PoE down said network cable..how much cable can I run
before cable losses will liely be too much for the camera to operate??

A lot of the passive PoE "injectors" claim 20m, you could measure it
(under load) if it's too low for the camera to operate reliably (it
probably has a voltage regulator internally that drops it to 5v or 3.3v
so you have some headway from the 12v) use a variable or multi-voltage
PSU instead and feed it slightly higher voltage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Oct, 12:27, Andy Burns wrote:

OK next question;- my IP cam has a 12v 1A power supply - I plan to
power it via PoE down said network cable..how much cable can I run
before cable losses will liely be too much for the camera to operate??

A lot of the passive PoE "injectors" claim 20m, you could measure it
(under load) if it's too low for the camera to operate reliably (it
probably has a voltage regulator internally that drops it to 5v or 3.3v
so you have some headway from the 12v) use a variable or multi-voltage
PSU instead and feed it slightly higher voltage.

Or do it properly with one of these kits: http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=332
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 03:51:03 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be Jim K
wrote this:-

You can get outdoor cat5 which is UV resistant.

aha! Ebay is my friend! ;)

Or you can buy it cut to length, for example
http://www.netshop.co.uk/productcategorydetail.aspx?categoryid=51540

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000...#pt3-pb3-l1g54
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 20, 11:13*am, Jim K wrote:
I want to run a network cable externaly to an IP camera - will
"ordinary" Cat5e cable be up to the job light, cold, rain etc?

Ta
Jim K

A coat of household gloss on it will block most uv

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, Jim
K writes
I want to run a network cable externaly to an IP camera - will
"ordinary" Cat5e cable be up to the job light, cold, rain etc?

CPC do a CAT5 cable for outside use

--
geoff