Posted to uk.d-i-y
pcb1962[_3_] pcb1962[_3_] is offline

Default OTish - RJ45 network cables - OK to use externally?

On 20 Oct, 12:27, Andy Burns wrote:

OK next question;- my IP cam has a 12v 1A power supply - I plan to
power it via PoE down said network cable..how much cable can I run
before cable losses will liely be too much for the camera to operate??

A lot of the passive PoE "injectors" claim 20m, you could measure it
(under load) if it's too low for the camera to operate reliably (it
probably has a voltage regulator internally that drops it to 5v or 3.3v
so you have some headway from the 12v) use a variable or multi-voltage
PSU instead and feed it slightly higher voltage.

Or do it properly with one of these kits: http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=332